Why become a member? ×

Basses you'll never sell ?

JohnFitzgerald

I've had a few basses I thought I'd never sell and did. I don't tend to get overly attached to them as they're fundementally tools to me at the end of the day. That said, I'd never sell my Rockbass Streamer 5. Bought for me by my girlfriend back in 2005, she passed away in a car accident (at far too young an age) in 2010 and it's all I have left of her.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, owen said:

I have not played my 66 Jazz in anger for 20 years or more. I should sell it. I have owned it for 35 years. I am struggling to let it go!

it's a nice bass. Keep it. In 20 years you might have gone back to playing 4 stringers and be grateful for keeping it

• Like 1

These two...the one on the right was made by Jon Shuker for me and paid for by all my friends for my 50th, it's been my go-to ever since for mixed-music gigs, as it'll do everything...the other one is my Rawk bass, and it's another Jon S creation (kinda), but with everything I wanted to put into a Fenderbird...if I sold it I know I'd just have to start putting another one together straight away...

Both are double-Ps, both have John East Preamps...

1666805649_2basses.jpg.50f3e044f96f9f7e52d409308cd54448.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jluxe said:

1984 squire jv p bass... absolute sauce

Me too.  An '83.  I've had it longer than any other basses (but still only 5 years, which says a fair bit about my revolving door of basses).  But I'd describe it as being the bass I am least likely to sell.  I never say never.

JV01.thumb.jpg.e04c6d26c138f182b78084dbbf7d0b50.jpg

• Like 4

I'm always cautious about such threads as life changes and the "one I'll never sell" has been sold on a few occasions. However over the last 5 years things have settled much more and a few of my basses are second take at owning that model so I cautiously offer the following;

1.) Hofner Verythin Long scale. I loved my short scale one but the intonation wasn't great. I sold it and snapped up the long scale when it launched in 2016. It took a couple of years to properly bond but it's now done 3 or 4 tours and played several European countries with me. I've never owned a bass that got so many comments and the resale value wouldn't be worth the loss of the experiences I had with it.

288173257_BassFav1.jpg.01bb791f5a2e813abc71d774f09d3157.jpg

2) Having been given a payout from an accident last summer I snapped up this Gretsch and Orange head. I'd wanted both for years and would be unlikely to sell either. The jury is out on Pete the cat though!

1228725838_BassFav2.jpg.7979444bf7d67f96e19011ce4d78344e.jpg

3) Finally as a double whammy, I wanted an upright bass since I first started playing. I had a Far Eastern plywood job but this blonde Czech model is a step up. I've had it about 8 years and wouldn't upgrade any more. Equally my previous Ric didn't last and was sold quite quickly. This one was secondhand, picked up around 2017 and has done some great recordings. The previous owner put a few knocks in the headstock so the resale isn't worth what it is worth to me.

973376107_BassFav3.jpg.f7cdb905595539e6542f4cff5a4f4462.jpg

Sorry it's 4 basses but it's taken 33 years to get here and even now I am holding back on my Gibson Thunderbird!

• Like 6

My all-stock 76 P Bass imported from USA for around £1200.   Owned for about 10 years but took a long time to source a good one from many 70s Bass lemons I'd returned or moved on.  It has everything:  lightweight, great neck, great sound, tight neck pocket.  

I certainly wouldn't have the appetite for the search again for a P bass from that era.

1705264401_pbass.thumb.jpg.b30027570893e1134a9f2062b1d6f01d.jpg

Edited by Sarlscharisma
  • Like 5

My Fender Classic 60s Jazz bass. I love everything about this bass. It's true that I changed everything but the tuners, but it feels and sounds too good.

20201016_101636.thumb.jpg.5d5d0f0a9db77d45890152650f07ba3f.jpg

Apart from this beauty. I will never sell my Yamaha BB735a. It's not a classic, it may not have that "wow" effect on people (even though for me and some people, it has it) but it just feels at home. I've been looking at 5 strings basses lately and I haven't found one that I really like as I like my BB. I think it will stay with me forever too hahaha.

• Like 3

I really like this thread for the way it has highlighted the ‘different strokes for different folks’ adage and why there are so many different types of basses out there. The last 5 posts alone are cases in point.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 4