Why become a member? ×

Worth saving?

Simon.

I have recently come into possession of a somewhat worse for wear Tanglewood acoustic. It seems to be a decent, mid to lower end model, and I was hoping to get it up and running again, to let my lads use as a starter guitar. TSF-5X model, made in '99, according to the serial number.

However, I'm not sure if it's actually worth saving, as there is a bit of structural damage to the top. On the bridge side of the sound hole, on both the bass and treble sides, there are the start of splits running towards the bridge. I'm concerned that if I re-string it, the tension will cause the whole thing to split!

The dent on the lower edge I'm less concerned about, as it likely to be roughly handled by the kids.

I have the Fishman preamp, and it looks OK, but there is no output jack. The bridge saddle is also missing, along with a few screws and nuts to mount the preamp and the screws from a couple of the tuners - how do you lose those?!

I don't mind spending a few quid to get the necessary replacement bits, but if the top is a write-off, and there's probably not a lot of point.

Thoughts?

_20210212_231238.JPG

_20210212_231329.JPG

_20210212_231405.JPG

_20210212_231520.JPG

_20210212_231624.JPG

Edited by Simon.
Darn auto-correct...
  • Like 1

Ha! It's got a way to go to get to that level.

I would definitely like to save it - it's got a bit of sentimental value as well, as it came to me through my tech work with Runrig. They were going to bin it, but I thought it could be worth trying to save.

The finish has worn through on both sides, which is probably what has encouraged the splits to start. I don't have a clue as to how to start shoring it up, though.

I watched a video on a luthier repairing Willie Nelsons guitar. Just to make it structurally sound but keep the mojo. I'd guess that's what you'd like to do here? 

I'll have a look for it in the morning. Also in my Aria FEB thread in this section Matt P posted a link to a luthier with lots of content on acoustic repairs, really interesting if nothing else. 

Here you, hopefully there's something in there with similar repairs. 

https://youtube.com/user/twoodfrd

• Like 1