Why become a member? ×

Decent musical output from a comedian

Nail Soup

If rap counts as music, then Chris Turner is a very capable performer.

From five suggestions, and a random beat, he will improvise a clever, and funny, rap on the subjects given him.  He started out as a stand-up comedian, I am told.  Hear him rap about mitral valve prolapses and waves, here, from 3'21".  

2 hours ago, Doddy said:

As far as 'new' music based comedians go, I really like Boothby Graffoe. He's funny, and I think his songs are really strong. My favourite though was Victor Borge- He was brilliant.

A chap I know/knew had a spot on his radio show in the early 90s..

Does Alex Horne count? 

More of a frontman to The Horne Section than an actual musician but the unit as a whole is very good. I'm not sure about 'decent musical output' though. 

I used to quite like Richard Digance back in the day, he has comedic and serious acoustic folky output. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

I have two.  Scroll down folks!

While 'decent musically' isn't actually isn't strictly quantifyable here (as both cases they can play well) but first up, the lovely Pippa Evans has a musical alter-ego Loretta Maine.  It was odd, she did a slot at the Comedy Cellar in Bracknell as Loretta Maine (five star/brilliant) and then she came back a year later as Pippa Evans.  Her opening line as Pippa Evans?  'Hello Bracknell!  This is my second time playing here, but last time I was somebody else.' 

Next up, Ben Norris...fellow bass player.  If his voice sounds familiar, he's Martin Freeman's cousin.

49 minutes ago, el borracho said:

Haven't seen Russ Abbot mentioned. Household name for his comedy shows in the 80s but he was a seriously good drummer. Good enough to pull off this Gene Krupa song

Ah yeah totally forgot about him, which is odd because we sold him a TD kit once...

Also John Thompson and Al Murray are drummers.

On 17/02/2021 at 11:16, Maude said:

Does Alex Horne count? 

More of a frontman to The Horne Section than an actual musician but the unit as a whole is very good. I'm not sure about 'decent musical output' though. 

I used to quite like Richard Digance back in the day, he has comedic and serious acoustic folky output. 

Alex Horne? Really? I didn't realise he was a comedian. Never made me laugh.

3 hours ago, el borracho said:

Haven't seen Russ Abbot mentioned. Household name for his comedy shows in the 80s but he was a seriously good drummer. Good enough to pull off this Gene Krupa song

Ah, yes........he was in the Black Abbotts first.

On Edit: Just listed to the clip. Great performance.... it was a live broadcast too judging by the little squigly box which came up in the corner before the ad break.

Edited by Nail Soup
Additional comment

On 16/02/2021 at 18:56, Nail Soup said:

Just remembered this one..... Charlie Higson of the Fast Show was in the Higsons before his comedy career. Here is the excellent "I Don't Want To Live With Monkeys"

And this is a cracker too. 

• Like 1

On 13/02/2021 at 16:05, bassace said:

I walked a nature reserve I had project managed. With Bill Oddie. He was a right miserable git. Just sayin’

He opened the new arts centre at my old school (which also happened to be his old school). Seemed quite a nice chap.