Why become a member? ×

Decent musical output from a comedian

Nail Soup

8 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

His music may not be to everyone’s taste, but billy Connolly deserves a mention - a phenomenal banjo player. 

Indeed. He was one third, and later one half , of the Humblebums alongside Gerry Rafferty, back in the day.

Watchers of " The Mask Singer" may have been surprised by Sue Perkins, who outsmarted all the Judges. I really enjoyed her performances (even though they may have been heavily edited using Tuning software.

Back on topic of Comedians singing performances, how about:

Kenny Lynch

..and the classic

33 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Was brought up on Mike Harding...

”it’s hard being a cowboy in Rochdale...because people laugh, when I ride past - on our Alsatian dog...”

Used to see him live back in the day and he was just as good about 7 years ago live too.

Came down to breakfast in a hotel in Harrogate one morning and in he strolled having played the theatre there the night before, still looking like a cuddly owl in his thick, home knitted multi coloured jumper!! We were amazed to see him but let him be.

10 hours ago, mike257 said:

His bit in his first stand-up DVD, Cosmic Jam, on how cockney music influenced the great classical composers, is absolute brilliance. Love his musical bits. 

Pretty sure Bill Bailey never won Young Musician of the Year. That's a whole level or two of skill above his, much as I like him and enjoy his musical bits

21 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

i mentioned Stewart Lee's sanctimonious Oxbridge smuggery in another thread. Nothing there to disabuse me of that notion.

Although I am aware it may be his 'comedy persona' or 'act', and he may actually be a fine fellow to have a pint with.

In the UK we have  enjoyed a long line of comedians that have started off at Oxbridge: Python are probably the most famous. Personally I find SL challenging, thought-provoking not smug, and am a fan, just wish I could go and see him live, the gig has been cancelled at least 3 times now!

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 2

Mike Harding told a good story about a booking at a club where he had to accompany a stripper. On banjo. He said she kept turning round and growling ‘faster’. Which he did, until the end when he realised that she wasn’t saying ‘faster’ but questioning his parentage.

• Haha 3

On 12/02/2021 at 22:43, Simon. said:

Bill Bailey's musical output is always worth a look. Makes up a fair chunk of his stand-up shows, so he puts plenty of effort on to it.

If you haven't seen it, his Enter Sandman is a work of genius, and his take on the Match of the Day and BBC News theme's are splendid.

The thing with Bill Bailey is that I love his comedy - until he starts playing music and then,  mehh.

EDited to add: To be fair it's not just hime. I've never been a fan of music in comedy. Finales of the Two Ronnies,  Spitting image etc .... all those: time to put the kettle on.

Edited by Count Bassy

As far as 'new' music based comedians go, I really like Boothby Graffoe. He's funny, and I think his songs are really strong. My favourite though was Victor Borge- He was brilliant.

If you look back at a lot of the older comedians (most of who aren't here anymore), there was a tradition of incorporating songs in their act. Most of them sung a couple of numbers, and there were a lot who even released singles or albums at some point.