Why become a member? ×

Decent musical output from a comedian

Nail Soup

His comedy is not to everyone's taste (I like him) but when he did this song as a BBC red button extra I was very impressed by Stewarts performance and also by the guy with him.

So, any opinions on this track.... and/or can you post have an example of some good music from a comedian?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Bill Bailey's musical output is always worth a look. Makes up a fair chunk of his stand-up shows, so he puts plenty of effort on to it.

If you haven't seen it, his Enter Sandman is a work of genius, and his take on the Match of the Day and BBC News theme's are splendid.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Simon. said:

Bill Bailey's musical output is always worth a look. Makes up a fair chunk of his stand-up shows, so he puts plenty of effort on to it.

If you haven't seen it, his Enter Sandman is a work of genius, and his take on the Match of the Day and BBC News theme's are splendid.

He won Young Musician of the Year before he got into comedy.

Seems he's OK at dancing too!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

His comedy is not to everyone's taste (I like him) but when he did this song as a BBC red button extra I was very impressed by Stewarts performance and also by the guy with him.

So, any opinions on this track.... and/or can you post have an example of some good music from a comedian?

He used to be the experimental music critic for the Sunday Times Culture magazine.

I investigated quite a few albums reviewed by Stewart Lee that I read about from my Parents newspaper pile.

11 hours ago, Simon. said:

His bit in his first stand-up DVD, Cosmic Jam, on how cockney music influenced the great classical composers, is absolute brilliance. Love his musical bits. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

i mentioned Stewart Lee's sanctimonious Oxbridge smuggery in another thread. Nothing there to disabuse me of that notion.

Although I am aware it may be his 'comedy persona' or 'act', and he may actually be a fine fellow to have a pint with.

By coincidence, I only recently stumbled on this video too. I think it's great, not least because of the way he mixes the comedic with the despairingly tragic; "dirty stains on history's final page" is a wonderful line. It also reminds me of an old joke about the difference between the American and British views of life - for an American, things are serious, but never hopeless, whereas to a Brit things are hopeless, but never serious.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Simon. said:

Back around 1990 my college folk band got a residency at a local comedy club (the guy who organised it fancied our singer!) so we did a 30-45 minute warm up set for the two headlining acts. We supported (among others) Eddie Izzard, Linda Smith (RIP), Mark Thomas, Hattie Haydridge and a duo called “The Rubber Bishops”. I recall thinking that the beardy one in the group was really good (comedy and music-wise) and would go far. A certain Mr Bill Bailey. So he’s been a bit tasty on guitar and keys and jokes for a good old time.