Why become a member? ×

Doom metal

SteveXFR

Hi guys I think this might be the place to get the help I need.

i’ve joined a doom band after ten or so years off from gigging and loving it but need to do a full gear reset. I was in thrash and punk bands before and have been a lifelong Warwick/SWR/David Eden guy but it’s not quite the right aesthetic, innit. 

Need a new bass and rig -  using an Orange terror but not mad about it with a borrowed P-bass and a Bass Butler for distortion. 

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. I’ve been eyeing some G&Ls, vintage Peaveys and barefaced cabs so far. No idea where to go next. 

Honestly a P bass is the perfect place to start. 

it really depends how far into the ‘aesthetics’ you want to go. An all valve amp and an 8x10 would be the traditional route but it isn’t exactly practical. In terms of traditional doom basses maybe a Rickenbacker would fit the look of old school doom too, but frankly you can pretty much use anything you like. A Warwick could definitely be a good doom bass. 

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 2

Pretty much as thodrik said tbh. It depends what type of doom you're playing as well. I'd be surprised if the orange didn't cut it in any sub genre (amp worship through to trad) - pretty sure Boris use one as a part of their set up somewhere. What sort of style are you going for? What's the band set up?

If you're thinking of changing i always go for big iron (abm type amp, Peavy as you're looking, or full valve) just my preference as it feels like they hit harder and are a 'better' aesthetic.

Pbass should be a good place to start if you like it. I now use a Spector in my band (active 5). Had a thunderbird prior (active).

Maybe try a fuzz or wider type drive with the orange to get you into whatever territory you're aiming at. Muff is a good starter.... I've always used fuzzes in doom projects. 

Cab wise, I use a barefaced retro 210 (X3). Vintage vibe, lightweight, but not a cheap option. Used 6 or 810s go for silly money these days if you can handle the weight and load. 

A lot of bands we play with though still end up using house gear on heavy rotation gigs....so cab isn't necessarily a key factor/ consideration depending on what you're going for. If you have loads of power, you'll never get to crank it if you have too much cab. Bit of a balance these days on a standard stage....big cab, lower wattage head will do it, as will smaller cab with high wattage head in most circumstances. 

Hope there's a useful thought in there somewhere 😂

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Honestly a P bass is the perfect place to start. 

it really depends how far into the ‘aesthetics’ you want to go. An all valve amp and an 8x10 would be the traditional route but it isn’t exactly practical. In terms of traditional doom basses maybe a Rickenbacker would fit the look of old school doom too, but frankly you can pretty much use anything you like. A Warwick could definitely be a good doom bass. 

Thanks! Definitely keen on practicality at this point and as few points of failure as possible. 

never played a ricky. Definitely want something lightweight with a thinner neck and as close to a ‘wick-esque action. We have some fairly quick runs. 

6 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Pretty much as thodrik said tbh. It depends what type of doom you're playing as well. I'd be surprised if the orange didn't cut it in any sub genre (amp worship through to trad) - pretty sure Boris use one as a part of their set up somewhere. What sort of style are you going for? What's the band set up?

If you're thinking of changing i always go for big iron (abm type amp, Peavy as you're looking, or full valve) just my preference as it feels like they hit harder and are a 'better' aesthetic.

Pbass should be a good place to start if you like it. I now use a Spector in my band (active 5). Had a thunderbird prior (active).

Maybe try a fuzz or wider type drive with the orange to get you into whatever territory you're aiming at. Muff is a good starter.... I've always used fuzzes in doom projects. 

Cab wise, I use a barefaced retro 210 (X3). Vintage vibe, lightweight, but not a cheap option. Used 6 or 810s go for silly money these days if you can handle the weight and load. 

A lot of bands we play with though still end up using house gear on heavy rotation gigs....so cab isn't necessarily a key factor/ consideration depending on what you're going for. If you have loads of power, you'll never get to crank it if you have too much cab. Bit of a balance these days on a standard stage....big cab, lower wattage head will do it, as will smaller cab with high wattage head in most circumstances. 

Hope there's a useful thought in there somewhere 😂

Thank you. Genre wise it’s very riff heavy - a lot of doubled runs with guitar and only one guitarist so needs to occupy space during the solos. More modern end of the genre too I’d say but with vintage vibes - similar to Green Lung. 

to be clear I’ve always hated p-basses 😂 hence why I’m not sure what to look at. G&Ls maybe or lakland/sadowsky?? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, simondee said:

Thank you. Genre wise it’s very riff heavy - a lot of doubled runs with guitar and only one guitarist so needs to occupy space during the solos. More modern end of the genre too I’d say but with vintage vibes - similar to Green Lung. 

to be clear I’ve always hated p-basses 😂 hence why I’m not sure what to look at. G&Ls maybe or lakland/sadowsky?? 

We're a one guitar band as well. More trad end with some more modern passages.

I've always used a fuzz as a result to cover space, together with volume. 

I'm the same with pbasses but can't say I have a recommendation from your list I'm afraid. Lakeland sticks out to me with the Geezer connection. I've always just gone for whatever I personally liked the look of/ playability. If it doesn't 'fit' the genre but you make it sound ace and enjoy playing it then it'll become a genre popular off the back of you :)

17 minutes ago, simondee said:

Thanks! Definitely keen on practicality at this point and as few points of failure as possible. 

never played a ricky. Definitely want something lightweight with a thinner neck and as close to a ‘wick-esque action. We have some fairly quick runs. 

A Sadowsky Metro (made by Warwick) might be a good option. 

I use a ten year old Sadowsky Metro Not for full on doom but it could definitely cover whatever ground you want. Looks vintage enough but can get somewhere close to vintage Fender tones if you want.

For heavy fuzz tones I actually prefer passive basses.

Edit: Sandberg might be worth a look too.

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, thodrik said:

A Sadowsky Metro (made by Warwick) might be a good option. 

I use a ten year old Sadowsky Metro Not for full on doom but it could definitely cover whatever ground you want. Looks vintage enough but can get somewhere close to vintage Fender tones if you want.

For heavy fuzz tones I actually prefer passive basses.

Edit: Sandberg might be worth a look too.

I really should try a passive at some point....

1 minute ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

I really should try a passive at some point....

My old Fender is brilliant for stacking one fuzz on top of the other. I can’t get the same raucous OTT fuzz on the Sadowsky even when using it in passive mode.

For general ‘sitting in the mix’ medium overdrive though I prefer the Sadowsky. Also the Fender is falling to bits after twenty years of owning it!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

New discovery for me here - Messa from Italy. They’re like a blend of two of my favourite bands, Om and Acid King!

Bassist plays an 8 string and manages to fill out the sound amazingly well during guitar solos, I was trying to spot a hidden rhythm guitarist in the background!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Wilson_51_ said:

We recorded a music video to our new single yesterday. Went quite smoothly   I’ll post a link when it’s edited and ready.  And we have finally booked into the studio for our next album (march 2023) 
25BDE17B-3817-4D0F-B90B-23AD998550B1.thumb.jpeg.38633bfee1170c298d0f62e7a505de3b.jpeg

Where's your pedalboard? Aren't you allowed one?

4 minutes ago, Wilson_51_ said:

A95FA23C-47E3-46B6-9AC1-DFE0B64E543A.thumb.jpeg.23368c02958b6fc9633fee5b24a96fcd.jpeg

B663DCAE-9359-4120-B623-7D051E7F7E28.thumb.jpeg.7fba36eb5ad659cdd4785f8cc067597c.jpeg

I took this picture during a break and it was just moved to the side for that point but it was used. Even has a wah section with focus on the pedalboard! 

Love the tuning prompt.

I need one of those for my bass in D standard. In fact I'm only just beyond needing one for E standard. 😅

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Wilson_51_ said:

Just a cheeky plug for my bands new video. We have changed are name to Erronaut. Hope some of you like it.. and yes that is a bass wah in the middle of the song  

Very nice. That's a great bass sound, what gear are you using?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Very nice. That's a great bass sound, what gear are you using?

Thanks Steve. 

Rickenbacker into dod250 into either megalith (heavier bits) or ds-1 depending on the section. Then that all goes to the Ampeg SVT-CL 

that was then mixed with a clean DI 

25 minutes ago, Wilson_51_ said:

Thanks Steve. 

Rickenbacker into dod250 into either megalith (heavier bits) or ds-1 depending on the section. Then that all goes to the Ampeg SVT-CL 

that was then mixed with a clean DI 

That's some nice equipment. That'll explain the great sound

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...