Why become a member? ×

Doom metal

SteveXFR

4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I bought tickets for it in 2020 😂

I got refunded, though. At the time, it wasn't clear if I'd even be able to enter the UK to attend, whenever it did eventually take place. It's a very different lineup now to what it started out as but fair play to them for making it happen.

Definitely doesn’t feel like there’s as many international bands this year compared to the 2020 lineup. Should still be a good craic, good opportunity to catch someone new!

9 hours ago, Sammers said:

Anybody off to Desertfest next week?

Been bit of a rollercoaster with the lineup chopping and changing but seems like it’s actually going ahead!

A15417A3-B4E6-4AA4-8B02-D49878E02914.thumb.jpeg.c98a5542fcb100541a79f1fbf17f9d97.jpeg

I only dip my toe into those waters occasionally, but I wouldn't mind going to one of those.

Does seem a bit strange to put all those bands up against each other though rather than spread it out over a fortnight... or do they have such different fanbases?

Anyhow I'll say one thing for the genre...... with those band names it feels good just reading the line up!

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wilson_51_ said:

Yeah I’m going to this! Very excited for it although i was really looking forward to seeing Somali Yacht Club but understandably they had to pull out. 

Yeah it’s such a shame, can only hope they make it through ok. They were probably at the top of the list of must-see bands for the weekend.

They’re still managing to put out new their music, so fair play to them for that!

• Like 1

Can't remember if I posted this before or not :

I. Nothing Left to Die 00:00

II. The Banishment 05:09

III. Obsidian Night 11:27

IV. Separated at Birth 14:10

V. Son of Yule 17:31

VI. Warrior Woman 21:39

VII. Equinox Suite: The Poison Pit 25:49

VIII. Equinox Suite: Thawing Magus 30:09

IX. Equinox Suite: Invocation Pt. 1 34:03

X. Equinox Suite: The Damned and Divine 35:52

XI. When the Raven Calls (anti-war Bobb Trimble cover) 40:54

XII. Stone Evil 44:50

One of my absolute favorite doom albums, and the "The Basnishment" being one of my absolute favorite doom tracks.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 22/04/2022 at 08:39, Wilson_51_ said:

I am also looking forward to seeing are very own @Salt on your Bass? playing desertfest with his brilliant band Gévaudan. 

Very kind as always Mr Wilson :) hopefully catch you for a beer if you're knocking about on the friday? I haven't got weekend tickets unfortunately. Sunday is a ripper. 

On 22/04/2022 at 11:27, christhammer666 said:

Didnt know Mr.S was on here, all the guys are awesome chaps. Played some banging gigs with them when I was in Ossiyan

Long time no see dude! Hope all's well with you ✌️ didn't realise you frequented these parts 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, nilorius said:

Sorry, hate metal.

Why post then?

Anyhow, 
Desertfest looks awesome. But, as much as I love Shellac, Not really sure they fit with the rest of the line up 😁

• Like 1

I also like to use the search function on Basschat to find specific threads I am not interested in just so I can leave a comment detailing that I am not a fan of the subject matter. For example:

'I am not overly familiar with Joe Dart and thus I have no interest in this thread discussing the new Joe Dart latest signature model bass.'

'I have no interest in country music and never listen to it. However I nevertheless feel that I have the authority to say that it all sounds the same and that all of the country subgenres and descriptions like Classic Country/Alternative Country/Rockabilly/Western Swing/Outlaw Country/Country Rock/Bluegrass etc' are just different names for a largely uniform type of music which all sounds a bit generic and uninteresting to my infinitely more sophisticated musical palette.'

'I hate bass overdrive, so I have no interest in this thread discussing bass overdrive pedals.'

'I use a Helix with a FRFR speaker and just wanted to post that this is a superior set up and that you are all a little bit silly to make a thread discussing valve bass amplifiers'.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bartelby said:

Why post then?

Anyhow, 
Desertfest looks awesome. But, as much as I love Shellac, Not really sure they fit with the rest of the line up 😁

I’ve been to DF a few times now and there’s always a handful of bands that are against the grain a bit. Napalm Death, Turbonegro, Godflesh and dare I say even Om. There was an Americana type stage 1 year, not your typical stoner bands by any stretch haha!

I think it’s good they do that though, gives people an opportunity to give something new a go 😄

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sammers said:

I’ve been to DF a few times now and there’s always a handful of bands that are against the grain a bit. Napalm Death, Turbonegro, Godflesh and dare I say even Om. There was an Americana type stage 1 year, not your typical stoner bands by any stretch haha!

I think it’s good they do that though, gives people an opportunity to give something new a go 😄

Very true.

My favourite festival is Supersonic in Brum. 
Always a very mixed lineup and I always discover a few new bands each time.

46 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

So back on topic, what rigs, basses and boards is everyone rocking in the basschat doom world? 

Also interested if people are in bands and links etc ✌️

E4831583-EDDB-4F54-89A5-DFCA05DEC073.jpeg.2e5947d336f746a739e5510a5e1c4eda.jpegD186F670-47F4-4033-81F9-2E78773F4FC0.thumb.jpeg.b3112762110c829068c80e2b4a9d2af2.jpegB767BEDF-6774-4905-9272-BDA23AE78FF3.thumb.jpeg.562093e94c49a8609d9373c15400be7b.jpeg

Basses, rigs, artwork and pedals attached!

Main doom machine is my old P bass. Generally I tune to C sharp standard or drop B. Five strings are tuned the same but with an added high A string, so despite being used for stoner/doom they are tuned 'up' rather than down from a standard five string. Main gigging amp is actually the Mesa combo but used to gig the Fafner with a Trace Elliot 1x15 I gave to my nephew. I've had the V6 and Fafner for a about a decade each. Big Block and 6x10 I just got for silly money second hand in the last few years. Presently saving up for a 4x10 that is more practical than the 6x10!

Pedals are a work in progress. Not convinced if I like the voicing on the B3K. Unfortunately though I discovered this after I recorded a whole album with one...

https://electricmother1.bandcamp.com/album/ii
Joined this band when I moved back up north.  Not toured like we planned because of Covid. When I joined we recorded an album with plans to tour more extensively but Covid hit and that touring is probably not going to happen, probably ever. The album was finished off during lockdown which unfortunately affected the final quality but it was either that or not finishing the album. Not really doom, just drop C fuzz rock. Currently on hiatus due to house moves, job changes/promotions and new babies, might be back playing later in the year. 

Older band did a small EP that was more in a proggy melodic doom direction, production is rubbish though as it was meant to just be a demo and we split up before we recorded it properly. Has a bass solo on it somewhere. Frankly wish we had recorded it properly. https://khydra.bandcamp.com/album/skycrasher

Trying to record with my other band this year, but need to buy a better laptop so we can record. Will post something in this thread if and when we manage to record something.

Edit: apologies that the pictures are massive. I'm not sure how to make them smaller!

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 4

On 13/02/2021 at 00:00, thodrik said:

Massive stoner/doom fan here. My own bands have rarely ever been in that style over the years but that is pretty much the genre I like listening to the most.

My newest (to me) band, Electric are the closest I have been to playing in that style. We are releasing our second album shortly (edit: today!) though it is the first one with me. It isn’t proper doom, but definitely in the ‘influenced by Sabbath/Down’ style.

https://electricmother1.bandcamp.com

(Edit: adding a picture of the cover art too!)E4831583-EDDB-4F54-89A5-DFCA05DEC073.jpeg.2e5947d336f746a739e5510a5e1c4eda.jpeg

That's really good, I enjoyed it! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Triumph_Rock said:

That's really good, I enjoyed it! 

Thanks, I entirely forgot I posted a link to the album in this very thread last year! I am turning into some kind of stoner/doom spammer. Apologies all!

On 05/05/2022 at 17:14, thodrik said:

E4831583-EDDB-4F54-89A5-DFCA05DEC073.jpeg.2e5947d336f746a739e5510a5e1c4eda.jpegD186F670-47F4-4033-81F9-2E78773F4FC0.thumb.jpeg.b3112762110c829068c80e2b4a9d2af2.jpegB767BEDF-6774-4905-9272-BDA23AE78FF3.thumb.jpeg.562093e94c49a8609d9373c15400be7b.jpeg

Basses, rigs, artwork and pedals attached!

Main doom machine is my old P bass. Generally I tune to C sharp standard or drop B. Five strings are tuned the same but with an added high A string, so despite being used for stoner/doom they are tuned 'up' rather than down from a standard five string. Main gigging amp is actually the Mesa combo but used to gig the Fafner with a Trace Elliot 1x15 I gave to my nephew. I've had the V6 and Fafner for a about a decade each. Big Block and 6x10 I just got for silly money second hand in the last few years. Presently saving up for a 4x10 that is more practical than the 6x10!

Pedals are a work in progress. Not convinced if I like the voicing on the B3K. Unfortunately though I discovered this after I recorded a whole album with one...

https://electricmother1.bandcamp.com/album/ii
Joined this band when I moved back up north.  Not toured like we planned because of Covid. When I joined we recorded an album with plans to tour more extensively but Covid hit and that touring is probably not going to happen, probably ever. The album was finished off during lockdown which unfortunately affected the final quality but it was either that or not finishing the album. Not really doom, just drop C fuzz rock. Currently on hiatus due to house moves, job changes/promotions and new babies, might be back playing later in the year. 

Older band did a small EP that was more in a proggy melodic doom direction, production is rubbish though as it was meant to just be a demo and we split up before we recorded it properly. Has a bass solo on it somewhere. Frankly wish we had recorded it properly. https://khydra.bandcamp.com/album/skycrasher

Trying to record with my other band this year, but need to buy a better laptop so we can record. Will post something in this thread if and when we manage to record something.

Edit: apologies that the pictures are massive. I'm not sure how to make them smaller!

Some lovely gear! I'd love to try the Mesa 610 with the big block. That's an amp I've always coveted but never owned. 

I'll try and soon some of your tunes over the weekend! 

What's the green pedal on your board?

9 minutes ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Some lovely gear! I'd love to try the Mesa 610 with the big block. That's an amp I've always coveted but never owned. 

I'll try and soon some of your tunes over the weekend! 

What's the green pedal on your board?

Thanks! The green pedal is a clone of an Earthquaker Hummingbird. My pal is now making loads of pedals. I also have a GCI Bass Brutalist overdrive which I actually use for guitar.

The Mesa 6x10 is the best cab I have ever used. Just brutally and impractically heavy and frankly unnecessary for most gigs. Big Block is immense too. I wanted that head for about 12 years before I finally got one!