Why become a member? ×

Doom metal

SteveXFR

9 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

That is awesome. I don't think he took that seriously. 

My regular tattooist used to babysit a funeral band for a record label and described them as a dull as f##k bunch of miserable c@@ts who wouldn't even crack a smile when she persuaded them to try ecstasy. Apparently straight edge punks were more fun to be around. 

Yeah, not sure I'd pair off funeral doomers and eccies!

And as I'm on the thread again, some more bands come to mind

Evoken; funereal death doom heavy hitters, slow as a slow thing

Mourning Beloveth; A Disease For The Ages is a crushing disc. Heavy and melodic but not in a twee gothic kind of way.

Pelican; have Pelican been mentioned? They were very, very good. The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw received a lot of playtime back in the day, cinematic metal for sure

Warhorse; As Heavens Turn to Ash was a banger. Crucial release!

Corrupted; glacial, elephantine sludge from Japan. 

Asva; arty drone/minimalism featuring Trey Spruance! Lovely, heavy, interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

I, for one, would be very disappointed if any of the nice lads from these bands had been so wreckless as to try a puff from a marijuana cigarette.

I saw Corrosion of Conformity live once and Pepper Keenan admitted on stage to smoking the devil's lettuce. Myself and several others formed a prayer circle in front of the stage to pray for his soul and his recovery from the terrible addiction.

I say prayer circle, it might have been a circle pit. 

17 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I saw Corrosion of Conformity live once

I've cited CoC as The Best shows I've ever been to, the other being L7.

When they performed Lord of this World the crowd went nuts! Later their cover would appear on the Nativity in Black tribute album:

R-15893650-1601130089-6381.jpeg.jpg

CoC were so great I came back to see them again the next night, $12 USD at the door

At the time I thought two-nights-in-a-row was some sort of standard for the Whisky a Go-Go, but alas it was the last time I'd see the same band two nights in a row.

Earlier that same month I saw Lita Ford twice there, on my first two nights in L.A. The following day I got a haircut & on Monday morning I reported for duty in San Pedro (viewing distance to Long Beach Arena).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I've cited CoC as The Best shows I've ever been to, the other being L7.

When they performed Lord of this World the crowd went nuts! Later their cover would appear on the Nativity in Black tribute album:

R-15893650-1601130089-6381.jpeg.jpg

CoC were so great I came back to see them again the next night, $12 USD at the door

At the time I thought two-nights-in-a-row was some sort of standard for the Whisky a Go-Go, but alas it was the last time I'd see the same band two nights in a row.

Earlier that same month I saw Lita Ford twice there, on my first two nights in L.A. The following day I got a haircut & on Monday morning I reported for duty in San Pedro (viewing distance to Long Beach Arena).

Seen CoC twice, first time with Clutch as chief support in about 2005. It was an awesome gig. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, christhammer666 said:

ive been in the doom/sludge scene for years and i still get weird looks when i tell people i dont do drugs.

i feel very sorry for them when i see their reactions

Same, I love Electric Wizard for example but don't touch anything stronger than cocodamol

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I do like a bit of Electric Wizard.

Today I'm enjoying some YOB

Caught Yob at Supersonic Festival a couple years ago, their set was cut short but they were awesome regardless! Hope to catch them at Desertfest next year.

Haven’t seen Monolord mentioned yet, new album on the way in October. Big Sabbs vibes from their new single, can only be a good thing!