Why become a member? ×

Doom metal

SteveXFR

I was playing in a Doom band during 2019, i was over the moon to get in as it was really my dream gig, unfortunately the main man turned out to be a nightmare to play with. He was always giving the drummer a hard time, and when I introduced him to another guitarist (who was a far better player) he spent the next Rehersal trying to out clever him🤦‍♂️. Amazing song writer but not a team player. 
Bloody shame as I loved playing that stuff🤘

Edited by Spewy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

13-Feb-90

Trouble release their self-titled album (but it's not their debut):

May be an image of 5 people, people standing and outdoors

I remember going to shades records one Friday afternoon ( regular customer) 

I heard them playing this album and was blown away, They had the import ,and I had to go back the following Friday to get it . 
That , and manic frustration are 2 fantastic albums .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

***flashback*** I used to have Trouble -  s/t and Masters Of Reality's debut on either side of a C90 back in the day, which was never far from my walkman, what a tape 😂 ***flashback***

Yes ! Masters of reality first album also purchased from shades . Awesome 

The album was rightly lauded by the music critics , but ended up in many shops for as little as £1 -3 . I kid you not 😼 The gatefold sleeve is cool too 

I paid substantially more ..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

So many types of metal these days ( which is obviously good ) . 
I have to be honest , and say that I've heard of one or 2 doom bands  but don't really know where to start .  So I'll be watching this thread and see what's what . 
I suppose the nearest I've got to doom metal is obituary ..and death . It's probaly not doom ..

If you like your death metal, I would probably recommend Coffins from Japan - specifically their delightful album Buried Death which is essentially like an Obiturary 45 played at 33rpm. Might be a good stepping stone but it's a certified banger nonetheless.

• Thanks 1

And more bands came to me overnight

Floor - How could I forget these guys? Like Electric Wizard and Cheap Trick had a baby. The s/t album is a blast, so heavy. Such melody.

Torche - The current group of Steve Brooks, hookier and more stonerish than Floor and if you like riffs and having a good time, Meanderthal is the album for you!

Harvey Milk - the Melvins' weirdo art-college cousins. Heavy, strange and thought provoking. Special Wishes is a thick ol' slab of a record that is alternately bludgeoning and uplifting.

Burning Witch - an oft-overlooked Southern Lord band, we're talking crawling tempos, heavy riffs and a bleak, bleak atmosphere.

Khanate - oh my, not a band to listen to if you're not feeling secure in yourself. Unrelentingly grim, punishing stuff. When you're mad at the world, nothing else quite touches this.

Goatsnake - proper bluesy doom. Fantastic riffs and vocals.

Karma to Burn - instrumental stoner rock that riffs the heck out. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dapper Bandit said:

If you like your death metal, I would probably recommend Coffins from Japan - specifically their delightful album Buried Death which is essentially like an Obiturary 45 played at 33rpm. Might be a good stepping stone but it's a certified banger nonetheless.

Wow, talk about 8 words making me want to check out an album 😂

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dapper Bandit said:

And more bands came to me overnight

Floor - How could I forget these guys? Like Electric Wizard and Cheap Trick had a baby. The s/t album is a blast, so heavy. Such melody.

Torche - The current group of Steve Brooks, hookier and more stonerish than Floor and if you like riffs and having a good time, Meanderthal is the album for you!

Harvey Milk - the Melvins' weirdo art-college cousins. Heavy, strange and thought provoking. Special Wishes is a thick ol' slab of a record that is alternately bludgeoning and uplifting.

Burning Witch - an oft-overlooked Southern Lord band, we're talking crawling tempos, heavy riffs and a bleak, bleak atmosphere.

Khanate - oh my, not a band to listen to if you're not feeling secure in yourself. Unrelentingly grim, punishing stuff. When you're mad at the world, nothing else quite touches this.

Goatsnake - proper bluesy doom. Fantastic riffs and vocals.

Karma to Burn - instrumental stoner rock that riffs the heck out. 

I love Torche, so heavy, but upbeat.

That Burning Witch album is great, it's so bleak 

• Like 1

In terms of current UK bands, I  am a really big fan of Green Lung and Boss Keloid and have greatly enjoyed their two most recent albums. They both have significant 70s prog leanings though (Boss Keloid especially) so neither are bands I would consider to be straight doom metal. I really like With The Dead as well. 

For modern US based  doom, I really like aspects of Windhand but it gets a bit samey. Yob are fantastic as well but can be tough going if that kind of hypnoticly slow riffing is not your thing. Inter Arma have doom influences, but there is lots of black metal drumming and some Pink Floyd guitar in there too which makes them a challenging, befuddling and (I think) rewarding band to listen to. I think that the Cavern EP is brilliant.

On 14/02/2021 at 11:19, Dapper Bandit said:

I was lucky enough to catch Khanate at the Underworld around 2004/2005.

Absolutely Phenomenal gig, however I passed up the chances too see them when they toured again as, as you say, it can be punishing.

57 minutes ago, artisan said:

I absolutely love Sabbath,but I would I'm in a Sabbath covers band 😁

Watching YouTube a while back & this came up as a suggested video,never heard of the band before but I love this.

That definitely dooms. I'll look them up for a work soundtrack this afternoon. 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2021 at 12:19, artisan said:

I absolutely love Sabbath,but I would I'm in a Sabbath covers band 😁

Watching YouTube a while back & this came up as a suggested video,never heard of the band before but I love this.

This song has been appearing on playlists while I work. Never stopped to check out the band name, but it's instantly recognisable. I didn't realise that I like doom metal until now 🤘

• Like 2