Why become a member? ×

Doom metal

SteveXFR

Spent many years deeeep in a doom hole! Some bands I have loved that I've not seen mentioned:

Candlemass: I mean, really! Epicus Doomicus is a flawless album. In fact, I don't know if they ever put out a duffer.

Iron Monkey: Nasty, nasty sludge. To my mind they were like Eyehategod but with less filler. The aurual equivalent of  a fight in a crack den.

Graves at Sea: More sludge but slightly cinematic, almost? Their first album is one of my favourite doom cuts of all time, please check it out folks!

Reverend Bizarre: Proper old school doom done right nice. So Long Suckers is one hell of a goodbye album!

Those bands leap immediately to mind, more may come to me later!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Graham said:

I'm a big doom fan, looking forward to seeing Conan and Bell Witch at Damnation Festival in November 

I know Jon from Conan, lovely dude. We both do splitter van hire in the same area so have passed gigs back and forth over the years. The man certainly has good taste in giant fuzzy amps!

• Like 1

Not too familiar with the genre, but just over a year ago I was asked to play with Akelei. They're a one-man project now mostly, without a fixed line-up, and the singer needed a band for a show he was doing in January 2020. The drummer of my former band is his brother, so it was easy to just ask all of that band and we happily agreed. I love dark, melancholic music and was almost instantly drawn. I like listening to Paradise Lost, Agalloch, 11th Hour, and especially Alcest (not really doom but more shoegaze mixed with black metal with a beautiful atmosphere) so it was a small step to adjust to Akelei's music. The lyrics are in Dutch:

https://akelei.bandcamp.com/

Paradise Lost were the band who got me in to doom when I saw them on the Draconian Times tour. I was walking past the Fleece in Bristol and heard them, thought it sounded good so I went in and watched the show in my best interview suit. I looked very out of place. 

Huge fan since the late 80's when I discovered Trouble, Candlemass & Saint Vitus, two other bands notable in their not being mentioned thus far. Was well into the burgeoning Death Metal scene and the UK Hardcore Punk scene as well, but those three bands struck a massive power chord for me. Some may recognise that my user name is in fact an Obsessed song.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Can't be doing with all these sub-sub-sub-sub genres meself

There was a band whose album I bought when I was 15 under the impression they were part of something called West Yorkshire Hardcore Thrash. Much later in life Wikipedia told me that they were in fact thrashcore/protogrindcore/crust punk

(a biscuit to anyone who can work out which band it was from this wordrubble)

Quite partial to a bit of Sabbath (being local lads and all that...I think I once sold Bill Ward some cat food way back lol), have a couple of mates who are hugely into this kind of thing; hope I'm not breaking any rules by plugging it, one of them has a Doom v. Stoner show Wednesdays 7.30pm on Hard Rock Hell radio (DJ Robo) and plays all sorts of old and new stuff

40 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

There was a band whose album I bought when I was 15 under the impression they were part of something called West Yorkshire Hardcore Thrash. Much later in life Wikipedia told me that they were in fact thrashcore/protogrindcore/crust punk

(a biscuit to anyone who can work out which band it was from this wordrubble)

Im guessing Electro Hippies. 

They were from oop North and kind of crusty kind of thrashy

• Like 1

So many types of metal these days ( which is obviously good ) . 
I have to be honest , and say that I've heard of one or 2 doom bands  but don't really know where to start .  So I'll be watching this thread and see what's what . 
I suppose the nearest I've got to doom metal is obituary ..and death . It's probaly not doom ..

14 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

So many types of metal these days ( which is obviously good ) . 
I have to be honest , and say that I've heard of one or 2 doom bands  but don't really know where to start .  So I'll be watching this thread and see what's what . 
I suppose the nearest I've got to doom metal is obituary ..and death . It's probaly not doom ..

Sabbath, Saint Vitus, Trouble, Electric Wizard, Sleep, Cathedral, Conan, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride.

Give a few of those a go and get stuck in 😀

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

Sabbath, Saint Vitus, Trouble, Electric Wizard, Sleep, Cathedral, Conan, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride.

Give a few of those a go and get stuck in 😀

Thank you ! 
I have early sabs, and trouble . I have the icon album from paradise lost , but haven't played it for years . Have heard of electric wizard . Have a cathedral track on a '90s complication which is good . Heard of my dying bride. Lots to look into here ..

• Like 1

On 12/02/2021 at 22:09, Jus Lukin said:

While we're reeling off bands, Acid King definitely need a mention, along with Bongzilla and their many offshoots (pun intended!).

It's really quite something thing that while, arguably, spearheading metal itself, Black Sabbath manage to also remain the undisputed kings of what has been a fairly underground sub-genre, too. I have to say that while still watching broadcast TV, doomy riffs started appearing in adverts. Everything does indeed have its time in the limelight, it seems.

LOVE Acid King, seen them a few times now. Purple Turtle gig sticks out for me, ended up drinking at the bar with them after the show!

• Like 1