Why become a member? ×

Doom metal

SteveXFR

I love stoner, doom and all things Sabbath influenced. I'm currently (as in right this very minute) writing and recording new stuff with a guy I was in a doom band with in the mid-90's. We could never find a singer at the time, nobody wanted to play doom, so we feel like we have unfinished business to address. Our premise is to be 30 years slower and sludgier than we were back then.

Here's the last thing I did, with the singer of another former band - not the one from the 90's. 

http://witheredfist.bandcamp.com

Edited by Doctor J
Vid added
  • Like 2

I have joined a doom band, we only managed to actually meet and play three times though. It just feels so great to build that wall of distorted sound with the guitars. The guitarist did most of the writing and claims to be inspired by Sabbath but effectively just takes Sabbath riffs and changes the rhythm! 

Before the world ended I had tickets for Om, High on Fire and Pigsx7 so last year would have been a great year for gigs. 

• Like 1

I think it started for me when Lee Dorian, of Napalm Death fame, brought out 'forest of equilibrium' with Cathedral.

Local (to me) bands like Bluuurgh, Celestial Seasons, Orphanage, the Gathering and Within Temptation all took a sip from the Doom cup in the 90s.

Other great discoveries in the record bins were Sleep's 'Mountain of Madness' and some St.Vitus ep I had long forgot I had until just now!

10 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

While we're reeling off bands, Acid King definitely need a mention, along with Bongzilla and their many offshoots (pun intended!).

It's really quite something thing that while, arguably, spearheading metal itself, Black Sabbath manage to also remain the undisputed kings of what has been a fairly underground sub-genre, too. I have to say that while still watching broadcast TV, doomy riffs started appearing in adverts. Everything does indeed have its time in the limelight, it seems.

I was quite surprised that Jaguar used Chelsea Wolf on the advert for the F Type sports car. Definitely not going to appeal to the 70 year old golf enthusiasts but a superb bit of doom. 

Was taken by friends to see Sunn at the underworld in camden in 2003.

Absolutely loved the whole experience and got into doom from then on

As an entry point it was pretty good!

More likely to be listening to Om than Bong Ripper these days mind

Edited by Woodwind
  • Like 1

Just now, Jus Lukin said:

Nice one- folks still look at me funny when I say it out loud without the 'O' ( ))) )!

😀 it's only because I knew of the amplifier maker back then that I didn't add the Oh sound.

I was invited by friends who were big fans of the band, but theybwere worried I wouldn't enjoy it at all.

It was, without wanting to sound too dramatic, if not a life changing experience, a musical horizon changing experience.

One of the same friends also introduced me to the orchestral work of Arvo Pärt in the same year. Turns out Sunn and Part hse a lot of the same triad chords 😀

Massive stoner/doom fan here. My own bands have rarely ever been in that style over the years but that is pretty much the genre I like listening to the most.

My newest (to me) band, Electric are the closest I have been to playing in that style. We are releasing our second album shortly (edit: today!) though it is the first one with me. It isn’t proper doom, but definitely in the ‘influenced by Sabbath/Down’ style.

https://electricmother1.bandcamp.com

(Edit: adding a picture of the cover art too!)E4831583-EDDB-4F54-89A5-DFCA05DEC073.jpeg.2e5947d336f746a739e5510a5e1c4eda.jpeg

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 2

I've never been to desertfest but that and Hellfest are on the list for 2022.

Im still a relative beginner with bass. Any recommendations for essential doom covers to learn? I keep trying Om and Shrinebuider songs and then running out of talent because Im not Al Cisneros. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I've never been to desertfest but that and Hellfest are on the list for 2022.

Im still a relative beginner with bass. Any recommendations for essential doom covers to learn? I keep trying Om and Shrinebuider songs and then running out of talent because Im not Al Cisneros. 

work your way through Dope Smoker/Jerusalem.

I can't read tab so can't verify this at a glance, but there's a good load of stuff here to work through -

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/sleep-dopesmoker-bass-tab-s79798t2

• Like 2

Love my doom. 
was fortunate enough to have seen electric wizard, cathedral, my dying bride, orange goblin, acrimony etc when they were in their early days

big sabbath disciple too. 
I also love bands like solitude aerurnus, orchid, colossus, trouble, death penalty, sleep, etc.....

im also currently writing and recording an album with a band named desolate pathway. Very sabbath and candlemass influenced

DOOM ON!! 🤘🤘

• Like 2