Why become a member? ×

Bass Agony

Lfalex v1.1

Just returned home to a scene of utter carnage in our newly decorated spare room which is used for art/musical endeavours.

We left the door open, and the cats went in and somehow managed to cantilever a mattress (we were storing until we can get rid of it) over another piece of furniture into my NS5CR on its tripod  which then took out my Ibanez EDB hanging on the wall and a printer and ruined the new wallpaper.

That's 2 down.

I fully expect my incoming bass (currently in the hands of couriers) to be delivered in powdered form.

Everything's still in one piece and I'm assuming the printer still works,  but the Ibanez now has a large gouge out of the rosewood fretboard that I'm unsure how to fix.

Feel my pain basschatters

• Sad 12

3 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Gauge or dent?... Steam with an iron option?... Pics?

May no Fix Fix... but might imptove the appearance and reduce the degree of damage.

Gouge, I think. Its been caused by the body of a Schaller tuner, which had some material left on it.

I don't know if coloured wood filler will stay put.

Otherwise,  I source a new neck if I'm lucky or have a new board put on if not.

Definitely worth steaming that and then see where you stand. It's amazing what will come out, then a fine sand and some oil and you might just be surprised. 

My doublebass fell over from standing with the fingerboard hitting the edge of a granite step first. It crushed a string into the board and absolutely destroyed loads of windings on the string. Being ebony it's very dense and hard. I steamed it with wet kitchen towel and a soldering iron to really target the two inch long dent, a strings thickness deep. It took a good few goes but it came out completely, finish with 800 wet'n'dry and lemon oil. The rest of the band couldn't believe it the following week. 

You've got nothing to lose. 🙂

This was the string so you can imagine the board. 

uLgECWV.jpg

Edited by Maude
Adding picture.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Meh. Tried the EDC yesterday. Judging from the intermittent squeals and the fact that it can be rotated back further than its zero position, I'd say the volume pot has had a whack, too.

Not necessarily an expensive fix, but beyond my soldering skills, particularly as I don't own a soldering iron..

Fortunately, a man who can isn't too far away..

You might find that some home insurance companies won't touch musical instruments, even when they don't leave the home.

I was advised by a few a number of years back that they won't cover them, and I had to get a separate music equipment policy.

Certainly worth checking with your insurer.

Just now, Skybone said:

You might find that some home insurance companies won't touch musical instruments, even when they don't leave the home.

I was advised by a few a number of years back that they won't cover them, and I had to get a separate music equipment policy.

Certainly worth checking with your insurer.

Given that I pay extra as they're specified "high value items" and that it's accidental damage rather than theft,  I'd like to think they'd pay out.

I think I can sort it out more in a more economical and straightforward  way, though. 

• Like 1