Sorted

gareth

I'm bewildered that couriers didn't get in front of brexit. Not that they were aware of it for four years, and that it was going ahead for a year. I get there is red tape, but surely they move parcels all over the world, so have some knowledge of customs etc anyway. I can understand them blaming snow, but ignorance, just not acceptable.

• Like 1

The requirements for export weren't made clear. There aren't the facilities to handle the volume and the HMRC systems aren't fully developed. 

It's true that logistics businesses handle exports but they dealing with customers who don't provide the right paperwork and insufficient trained staff to deal with it.

• Like 2

DHL and Fedex are working fine. My company has exported all over the world and the EU (before the single market). DPD has been totally unready, clearly they only shipped in the EU single market, which was simple.

Stick with DHL and follow their instructions ref paperwork, it'll be ok

13 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I'm bewildered that couriers didn't get in front of brexit. Not that they were aware of it for four years, and that it was going ahead for a year. I get there is red tape, but surely they move parcels all over the world, so have some knowledge of customs etc anyway. I can understand them blaming snow, but ignorance, just not acceptable.

So many businesses are struggling with the rules and regulations. It’s all still up in the air too, which is going to destroy many of them (sadly).

I have a parcel for my business going to Brussels that has been stuck in customs (first in the UK and now in Belgium) for almost 3 weeks now.

I spent the best part of what should have been a Saturday off jumping through all the required hoops to get my Tariff Codes, EORI Number and SIC Code, and then completing all the relevant paperwork, in order to be able to send the parcel in the first place but none of that appears have made it go any smoother.

If I have to do it again, Covid allowing, I'll stick the items in a suitcase and get on the Eurostar. It will be quicker and maybe even cheaper, and I'll get a weekend in Brussels out of it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I'll stick the items in a suitcase and get on the Eurostar. It will be quicker and maybe even cheaper, and I'll get a weekend in Brussels out of it.

I expect much of future bass trading with Europe will take place in this way 😂

A voice from the "other" side..I hear from quite a lot of bass-players around here in Europe that the daily urge to look at those British bass-sites and shops has changed a lot...Just the whole paper thing and administration which is ahead of us scares me and other European bass-players.. 

Bass-chat, Bass-direct etc..why even bother to look when in the back of your head there's a calculator working with all the extra costs..Takes the magic away for me...

I posted something on a European bass forum that I blocked a couple of British sites because it was too painful to see those beautiful basses and thinking how easy it used to be. I got some reactions that I wasn't the only one..

I check the German bass-sites a bit more, easier and with some fantastic basses too...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, wombatboter said:

A voice from the "other" side..I hear from quite a lot of bass-players around here in Europe that the daily urge to look at those British bass-sites and shops has changed a lot...Just the whole paper thing and administration which is ahead of us scares me and other European bass-players.. 

Bass-chat, Bass-direct etc..why even bother to look when in the back of your head there's a calculator working with all the extra costs..Takes the magic away for me...

I posted something on a European bass forum that I blocked a couple of British sites because it was too painful to see those beautiful basses and thinking how easy it used to be. I got some reactions that I wasn't the only one..

I check the German bass-sites a bit more, easier and with some fantastic basses too...

To be fair they knew Brexit was coming and that there’d  be VAT, charges and paperwork 

They had a long time to buy at last years (pre Brexit) prices 

I sold my T bass in December to a guy in Germany and it was a mad rush - the bass had been up for sale for literally years - I did think why leave it so late to buy

Edited by gareth
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, gareth said:

To be fair they knew Brexit was coming and that there’d  be VAT, charges and paperwork 

They had a long time to buy at last years (pre Brexit) prices 

I sold my T bass in December to a guy in Germany and it was a mad rush - the bass had been up for sale for literally years - I did think why leave it so late to buy

I was talking about the new gear and second hand market which shows up now post Brexit..

I was aware of the Brexit and wasn't in a rush to buy anything because the GAS was sleeping for a brief moment :-)

I hear from Belgian musicians that stuff they ordered seems to be delayed..Hopefully it will go a bit more smoothly soon.

• Like 1

It's a bit unfair to blame the shippers for these issues, they have to follow the rules laid down by HMRC and if those procedures have not been finalised and circulated it makes things somewhat problematical ....

Back in the pre EU days, I worked for a company that prepared and shipped industrial machinery all over the world. Sometimes there were parcels that needed to go by post, being young and fit I sometimes got the job of dealing with those. It was also pre internet, so we had a book from the Post Office which detailed all the postal requirements for every country in the world.

In reality it was a simple process, there were only two different customs forms for the whole world and some countries required a copy of the form placed inside the packaging. Pretty much the forms were: contents, weight, value and tick box for gift or merchandise.

Forty odd years later, I can't see the process being any more complicated. Hopefully we're just in the teething period, in a few months when everyone knows what is required and it should be all systems go,

• Like 1

On 13/02/2021 at 13:55, wombatboter said:

Yup. It's the same with the sales section on here. 

No point in even looking any more. It just winds me up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update received today 

Dear Gareth,

We wanted to give you a further update regarding European parcel services. As I am sure you are aware from recent communications, many couriers still continue to face delays sending parcels into Europe due to the multiple changes enforced by Brexit. This has presented many challenges like never seen before and the complexities vary by courier and country.

Parcel2Go offer a price comparison service, working with an extensive range of couriers to bring you the best choice and value. We therefore don't physically touch any parcels in terms of delivery, however, be assured we are in dialogue with every single courier each day to get an update on services and our customer's parcels.

The good news is that progress is being made and the situation is improving. As a result of this we have re-launched some European services; Parcelforce services to Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland and Spain and Landmark services to Germany, Austria, Denmark and Ireland. Estimated delivery times are likely to be longer than usual for these so please check these when booking. All other European destinations using these couriers remain temporarily unavailable.

Due to the ongoing issues, Parcel2Go have now taken the decision to temporarily remove Hermes services to Spain, Italy, Portugal and Sweden. 

We do also have other European courier options; DPD is only experiencing minor delays, providing you have the correct paperwork and HS codes. If you have something to send urgently and require a premium service, Fed Ex is reporting no delays. If you are still unsure what the new requirements are for sending parcels into Europe, click here for all you need to know.

It is a complex situation and evolving daily, whilst there are still a number of issues and delays, we can see things improving. As and when we have more information from the couriers and when we decide to reintroduce services, we will communicate this to you. You will also always find the latest information on available services here.

Should you need to contact us, we are currently experiencing unprecedented contact to our customer service teams so please bear with us and we recommend using our tracking page for latest progress updates on your parcels. 

The Parcel2Go Team”

Police Squad is right - DHL is working fine. I ordered parts for an old Merccedes I'm mending this week: dispatched from Mannheim via DHL on the 23rd, email notification of the VAT due on the waybill the same day, with a secure payment link  and a pdf of the paperwork (which I paid immediately),  parcel delivered lunchtime on the 24th. Yes, they charged £11 to process the paperwork, but against an order value of £500  not really an issue for me to get  that sort of service. As with all things, you pays yer money......

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tracking my parcel to Oz since it left me on 23rd Feb.

After speaking to one of the Parcelforce reps I was advised it was stuck in Coventry till Friday due to "delays due to capacity"....she advised it was "the worst backlog we've ever had".

Thankfully parcel boarded a plane on Friday and is now in Melbourne...

• gareth changed the title to Sorted