Why become a member? ×

Gauges

Guest WilliamV

Guest WilliamV

I would think that this has been asked and done before, but I am going to ask anyway.

Years ago, I had a bass that as far as I can remember, had heavier than the standard of 45 - 105 strings on it. 

Point I am getting at is: I have a set of 6 string bass strings that are 30-45-65-80-100-125 that I got specifically for this purpose instead of a set of heavy gauge 4 strings just in case I wasn't happy with the result. I am thinking to use the 65-80-100-125 on the bass.

Be them positive or negative, does anyone have thoughts or opinions on this?

Guest WilliamV
32 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

What tuning are you using?

How stiff or floppy do you like your strings to feel?

52 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

You might need to widen the nut slots and do a set up.  But how are you going to tune the bass?  If EADG, hmm, not sure it's a good idea to tune all strings up a fourth.  If BEAD, it will be fine.

It's a new build of a bass and the nut hasn't been slotted or even fitted yet.

I was going to tune to EADG as per standard tuning and what I am used to.

I kind of prefer the strings to be somewhere in between.

I have one bass that has 110-95-75-50. So, I think that there will be some, but much difference. I guess it is a matter of personal preference. ?

On 12/02/2021 at 12:57, WilliamV said:

Can't use the 125 as the E string. The silk lies in the nut. Oh well. 100-80-65-45 it is and I have spares for my 5 string.

I confused, but it is late. Why would the B string be any shorter from ball to silk than the E string? If anything I'd expect it to be longer as the saddles generally get moved back progressively towards the lower strings to achieve correct intonation, meaning that length would probably be longer on the B than E. 

Guest WilliamV
15 hours ago, Maude said:

I confused, but it is late. Why would the B string be any shorter from ball to silk than the E string? If anything I'd expect it to be longer as the saddles generally get moved back progressively towards the lower strings to achieve correct intonation, meaning that length would probably be longer on the B than E. 

I didn't get it either. But that's the way the set is. ???

100 on left. 125 on right. Hard to distinguish by this photo, but I assure you it is the 125 on the right and is shorter between ball and silk than the 100. Excess has already been cut from the 100 for use as E.

20210214_152427[1].jpg

Edited by WilliamV

Guest WilliamV
1 hour ago, Bolo said:

Does that bit of silk mute terribly? It may not even be that audible.

It isn't that. It's the fact that the rough end of the string that the silk (cotton actually) is wrapped around is in the nut and will damage it.