Why become a member? ×

Help Identify Two Old Japan Basses

sarakisof

Really glad, once again, i found another one that seems identical to mine at this site 

https://best-vintage-guitars.de/morris_moridaira_precision_bass.html

Apart from colour and knobs all the other specs are the same. Look at the pickup screws (that i was wondering if it were replaced..), they are the same as mine! My bass also weights exactly 4.1kgs and in this site it is mentioned as 4.09kgs!

@Bassassin is true again indeed, Moridaira. It could also be from late 70s who knows, anyway i felt pretty comfortable  when i saw those pups being identical. 😁

morris_moridaira_precision_bass (7).jpeg

Edited by sarakisof

6 hours ago, sarakisof said:

Just a last question that could help a bit. @Bassassin: Do you remember what was the pups ohm reading  in your 1984 bass?  Or what are the average resistance for those Moridaira's, are they in the 8-10K or 10-12K plus range?  I got 8.5Kohm and 8.6Kohm in mine.

I could go check the pickups on my '84 (ish) Mori, as I still have it - but it wouldn't help much, it's one of those little guitar things, not a bass!

I'm really only guessing that the 8 prefix means '80s, it's quite likely it doesn't. Considering that many of these instruments are straight Fender & Gibson copies, you'd normally expect MIJ examples to have stopped manufacture by 1979, as most established manufacturers - including Moridaira - were moving to original designs towards the end of the decade.

If it wasn't for the numbers possibly suggesting otherwise, I'd put serialised Moridaira copy instruments between '76 & '79. It's simply the fact that most of these serials start with 8 (something the MIJ community's really only just noticed!) that makes me wonder if there's a pattern to them. Previously I sort of assumed they were either random (like early Matsumoku serials seem to be) or sequential producton numbers.

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

If it wasn't for the numbers possibly suggesting otherwise, I'd put serialised Moridaira copy instruments between '76 & '79. It's simply the fact that most of these serials start with 8 (something the MIJ community's really only just noticed!) that makes me wonder if there's a pattern to them. Previously I sort of assumed they were either random (like early Matsumoku serials seem to be) or sequential producton numbers.

Could that be a code for a particular factory or assembly line?  Guesswork on my part but it might make sense.

Edited by alyctes