Why become a member? ×

Fully wound 7 string sets

velvetkevorkian

As I had a few 7-stringers tuned B to F and also wanted a wound high F, here are the only two sets available by resellers. The Newtone strings are also an option.

This Dean Markley SR 2000 set is fully wound https://m.thomann.de/gb/dean_markley_2698_7string.htm

This Pyramid SSL 7 set is fully wound :https://m.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_7_string_bass_set_sssl_022_128.htm

That said there are these two sets available in the ads here, at a bargain price :

Edited by Hellzero
F*cking dumbphone
  • Like 1

That top E is an octave below top E on a guitar?

If so that equates to a light D guitar string. I've not come across any plain D guitar strings no matter how light I go!

Also I'm now playing Bass VIs - all the high E strings for those (30" scale, and even the lighter gauge sets) are wound.

If you are having problems finding the right strings for you as others have said get in touch with Newtone.

Urm, urm, as a regular long scale (34 inches) sixer player for more than 3 decades, I think I've NEVER come across an unwound high C (most of them are 0.028 to 0.035) in the sets sold by all the usual makers.

Now, you're maybe talking about a Bass VI which is a short scale tuned like a guitar an octave lower and is not the same...

Edited by Hellzero
Spelling

40 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

That top E is an octave below top E on a guitar?

If so that equates to a light D guitar string. I've not come across any plain D guitar strings no matter how light I go!

Also I'm now playing Bass VIs - all the high E strings for those (30" scale, and even the lighter gauge sets) are wound.

If you are having problems finding the right strings for you as others have said get in touch with Newtone.

Yeah I've actually been using a guitar D string based on that logic but the tension has never felt quite right at 34" - but it was very much a niche use case last time I looked into it.

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

Thanks Hellzero! I'm definitely thinking B-C fourths tuning- it was a set of Warwick Red-Labels, and that C was horrid. 😄

The Warwick Red-Labels are, to me, a huge waist of money. You really get what you pay for, so nothing good. Just buy the usual suspects, called D'addario nickel (EXL) or steel (EPS) : no surprise here, just excellent strings (but not my favourite ones) for a very decent amount of money (between £25 and £29).

On 12/02/2021 at 11:27, Hellzero said:

Now, you're maybe talking about a Bass VI which is a short scale tuned like a guitar an octave lower and is not the same...

None of the strings that came with any of my Bass VIs (I own three - Squier, Burns and Eastwood) and none of the strings I have bought for them subsequently - LaBella and Newtone) have come with any unwound strings.

Also neither sets of strings that I got when I briefly dabbled with 5-string tuned E-C came with an unwound top C. 

Where are you finding unwound bass stings?

Edited by BigRedX

• 4 weeks later...