Why become a member? ×

One Control Sonic Silver Peg Pedal

la bam

I received this last week. Sonic Silver Peg by One Control. Tiny pedal (think spectracomp) very nicely built. Modelled on the Ampeg V4.

Through headphones its sounds awesome. Plenty of different sound to go through even though there is just 3 dials. Vol, Tone and Mid. However, it is explained that they work in conjunction with the tone dial on your bass - and they do. At low levels through my barefaced super 12 it's a lovely rich sound. Vol on the pedal down for a clean tone. 10 o'clock for a real punchy tone.

In all honesty any combination of the dials sounds great. I would easily put it up there with the best pedal and pre amp I've ever had.

So, I finally got chance to drive the barefaced super 12 at volume in conjunction with pa speakers playing backing tracks. I ran the silver peg into the fx return on my ashdown abm iv, so in effect the ABMs pre amp and controls are bypassed.

I swear down it's the best sound I've ever had in the mix. Hands down. Playing to some indie backing tracks (without bass) it sounded rich, really rich and did that ampeg thing of spreading the bass over the whole area rather than just coming from the cab. It had depth without mush, drive without becoming messy and lifted the songs.

Plenty of playing with the dials, and the settings that really stuck were vol at 10 o'clock, tone and mids off, and vol at 10 o'clock and tone at 10 o'clock and mids very nearly off.

That gave that lovely thick ampeg quality to the tracks and really was lovely to play. It was thick and rounded, but also really cut through when playing the higher notes.

Now, I thought just for balance I'd remove the pedal and test with the ashdown on it's own. Honestly the sound was nowhere near in comparison. Thinner and didnt sit in the mix as well.

So, after 10 minutes I tried just the pedal again into the fx return and it was lovely. Really lovely tone with the other instruments, added warmth and sounded more musical. I found (unlike the last 20 years of playing) i sounded better edging towards the tone off side on my p bass, rather than tone fully open.

The sound on it's own live and loud (like ampeg) isnt great, and isnt going to inspire you. A bit messy and rough. But put it with a drum kit and a track and it's absolutely lovely.

Best pedal and best pre amp I've ever bought. If it works as well with the full band (when we can practice) at the same volume it did with the pa speakers, it's my new number 1.

• Like 3

On 11/02/2021 at 10:25, Hellzero said:

Ooos. Just ordered one...

You'll love it.

Sounds better to me with mids really reduced and going straight into the return on the amp.

Really is a killer sound in a band setting.

Edited by la bam

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

I've been following your experience with these pedals very closely. I plan to use my Bi-amp rig when I get back out there. Power amp and pedal pre. 

Anyone know if they're stocked anywhere in the UK? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-Control-Crimson-Red-Bass-Preamp-Effects-Pedal-Free-shipping/265041266263?hash=item3db5b0c657:g:03kAAOSwAxtgHSEL

Ebay has a crimson red with a day left on it.

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Thanks for the heads up @danbowskill and to @la bam for graciously conceding the field that I might take a run at the little red box.

I won! 

Let the impatience begin. 

Got a good price there. Let us know you thoughts please stu..... I've definitely got to try one of these.