Why become a member? ×

NBBD (New Bass Body Day)

Baloney Balderdash

So I decided  to swap out the neck of my black battered Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass, which is my main, to the body of a newer GSRM20B Mikro in Weathered Black finish that I have had for quite a while, since I bought it, due to it having a terrible neck with terrible fretwork, unlike this old neck which has as good as perfect fretwork and being the most stable neck I ever had on any bass or guitar.

The holes for the neck screws in the new body being positioned slightly differently I had to fill out the old holes in the neck with wood glue and wood plugs and drill new pilot holes for the screws.

Went really well, and I am really happy with the result.

The new body should be Mahogany like the old one, but it is much lighter, and, I guess thanks to the lack of the insanely thick poly finish on the old body, and likely the much tighter neck pocket on the new body as well, much more resonant, which overall results in a more open and sort of more full range tone with more sustain.

I also decided to install a regular front mounted output jack socket in the first pot hole, instead of the stock barrel one, only having to make the hole ever so slight bigger, since I, like it was on the old body, only have a P pickup installed wired directly to the output jack socket.

For now I used the DiMarzio Model P, which I found out wasn't faulty any way, but might swap it for my EMG Geezer Butler P instead at a later point.

So here is before and after shots :

Before :

A-Bass-Experimental-Square-small-666999-

After :

Ibanez-GSRM20-B-body-Mkro-Bass-version-6

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2