Why become a member? ×

DV247 - a cautionary tale...

Cosmo Valdemar

Just after Xmas I bought myself a new bass amp. Most places were out of stock except for DV247. Nice and local, should I decide to return it.

A week after I ordered it, the amp still hadn't arrived, so I called DV247 and was assured the order had been received. The delay was apparently due to shipping delays in Germany. This was a surprise as there was no mention of this when I placed the order. Cue alarm bells and the expectation of extra fees.

A few days later, still nothing so I call again, this time being put through to Germany. The very helpful and apologetic man explained that the warehouses had been massively backed up since the big B came into play.

Anyway it arrived shortly after with no extra fees - hurray!

After a few days I decided to return the amp - it's cool, just not for me. After finally getting through to someone on the phone they agree to email me the returns form. Can I not take it to Romford and drop it off, like I have before? No, it needs to be sent... to Germany.  Included with the returns label is a considerable customs declaration form that I need to complete. Having never seen this form before I don't know where to start - what are the implications if I get it wrong? There's a 'guide' on the email but it's not very helpful.

I'm going to try calling them again tomorrow to see if I can post it to Romford, or drop it off. 

TL,DR - be careful when buying from DV247 as your item will probably be shipped over from Germany - despite not saying so when you order - and returning items is a massive pain.

• Thanks 1

This is the same for BAX. I ordered items over 3 weeks ago. Countless emails and phone calls alas no response. Put a negative review on trustpilot and with 5 mins it gets a response!

That response explained the items are coming from germany and that they drive it over themselves. Would have been nice for an email to tell me that! Or for it to be mentioned on their website. 

3 days later I recieved a response to the third email I sent them.  Then a phone call today explaining that hermes has lost a load of their items and would I be happy to wait for another?

Erm no thanks. Refund please. The customer service agent was pretty good. But now I'm still waiting on the refund. It was via my paypal balance so should be be pretty quick. We shall wait and see with baited breath how long it actually takes though! 

Edited by Lloyd80

This will be a massive problem in the next few months as almost everything is coming from outside the U.K.

So better be patient and wait until the stocks in the U.K. are high enough to avoid this situation.

Don't blame those who are trying to sell these goods, you are shooting the wrong persons.

• Like 6

Just now, Hellzero said:

This will be a massive problem in the next few months as almost everything is coming from outside the U.K.

So better be patient and wait until the stocks in the U.K. are high enough to avoid this situation.

Don't blame those who are trying to sell these goods, you are shooting the wrong persons.

I'm not shooting anyone. It was purely describing my experience. The poor customer service and the lack of information about where the goods are coming from. 

All that was needed was a note on the website or the confirmation order stating that items may be coming from Germany. And an actual response to emails and phone calls.  I understand the delay in getting responses due to the current situation. But the lack of communication was extreme in my case. I know others have faired better. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Good advice

When I last ordered from dv247 in 2020 the item page said “in stock in romford” and “in stock in central warehouse”, but my items came from the warehouse in Cologne. I was a bit surprised, but I guess it makes sense as the warehouse will be set up for online processing. I wonder if anything ordered online from dv247 comes from the uk?

1 hour ago, Slappindabass said:

I wouldn't purchase an Amp I had not tried. 

I don't know why.

IME it is impossible to make any meaningful decisions about an amp without using it in a band situation (practice or even better a gig). Even if you are able to play it at gig/rehearsal volumes in the shop it still won't give you any indication of what it will sound like with the other instruments in the mix.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I don't know why.

IME it is impossible to make any meaningful decisions about an amp without using it in a band situation (practice or even better a gig). Even if you are able to play it at gig/rehearsal volumes in the shop it still won't give you any indication of what it will sound like with the other instruments in the mix.

This is 100% my feeling. 

I also like the idea that i can buy, try with the band, and send it back if its not for me. I try not to, but have done a few times. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

For me the main issue that I’ve found is the not being able to return to the Romford branch, a situation that hasn’t been brought about by the B word.

I bought a bass from DV247 a few years ago and they were happy for me to drop it off at Romford when I needed to return it. They've obviously changed their minds on that 😣

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

For me the main issue that I’ve found is the not being able to return to the Romford branch, a situation that hasn’t been brought about by the B word.

Ive recently started to use PMT in London. The first ‘real’ music shop ive used for a very, very long time. 

When i was working (up till last Oct) i could store all my boxes etc there. Now ive lost that i dont have room to keep boxes at home. Obviously within the return period isnt a problem, but later on if something became faulty like an amp or speaker I’d need a box. With PMT just up the road i dont need to worry about boxes anymore. 

The only problem I had when I ordered a EHX Mono Synth pedal from DV247 was that it arrived with a euro socket mains adaptor. Took several calls to receive a UK version and there was no indication that the pedal was coming from the continent when I placed the order.

4 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

The only problem I had when I ordered a EHX Mono Synth pedal from DV247 was that it arrived with a euro socket mains adaptor. Took several calls to receive a UK version and there was no indication that the pedal was coming from the continent when I placed the order.

UK consumer law says that any new electrical device sold to the UK market must come with a UK mains lead or a fixed, fused adaptor that fits and locks over the existing plug completely shielding the contacts. To do otherwise is breaking the law.

On 11/02/2021 at 10:39, dave_bass5 said:

Ive recently started to use PMT in London. The first ‘real’ music shop ive used for a very, very long time. 

When i was working (up till last Oct) i could store all my boxes etc there. Now ive lost that i dont have room to keep boxes at home. Obviously within the return period isnt a problem, but later on if something became faulty like an amp or speaker I’d need a box. With PMT just up the road i dont need to worry about boxes anymore. 

There is a lot to be said for buying from a bricks and mortar shop.  The Bass Gallery and GuitarGuitar in Camden are not too far from me and are quite close to our rehearsal studio.  I have made good use of the Bass Gallery and if I buy online, I'll do my best to use GuitarGuitar so I can take anything faulty back to the Camden branch, and I have had to do this a couple of times.

• Like 2