Why become a member? ×

The Benchmark For The Most Stunning Bass Ever Made Has Been Set... And It's High!

binky_bass

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Then you sir have no love for cars! ;)

Oh no, I love. them, and there are plenty of cars I'd rather drive than my Skoda, but a Rolls Royce's stunning craftsmanship and beautiful materials doesn't make it automatically qualify for that list.

Back to the bass in question. Taste is a personal thing ( obvs ) and I don't like 6 stringers, blue epoxy, singlecut, or swirly wood tops. End of story.

It's just dawned on me that the preference for basses which visually capture the nature of wood at its most unfettered usually goes hand in hand with a desire for a bass which makes as smooth and even a sound as possible. The appearance is nature unbound; tone is highly polished and focused right across a wide range.

Meanwhile, instruments that sound like someone whipping a rusty car with a chain usually look very sleek.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

It's just dawned on me that the preference for basses which visually capture the nature of wood at its most unfettered usually goes hand in hand with a desire for a bass which makes as smooth and even a sound as possible. The appearance is nature unbound; tone is highly polished and focused right across a wide range.

Not sure I have ever noticed that correlation. I like natural wood and I don't really like smooth.

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Meanwhile, instruments that sound like someone whipping a rusty car with a chain usually look very sleek.

Actually, I was only thinking the other day that the problem with pretty much all the boutiques I’ve ever owned is they’ve been far too polite and small-sounding for me. 

20 hours ago, chrisba said:

Oh no, I love. them, and there are plenty of cars I'd rather drive than my Skoda, but a Rolls Royce's stunning craftsmanship and beautiful materials doesn't make it automatically qualify for that list.

Back to the bass in question. Taste is a personal thing ( obvs ) and I don't like 6 stringers, blue epoxy, singlecut, or swirly wood tops. End of story.

Same, that's why I use the Harley Benton analogy. It's all down to personal taste, and while I got to say that the craftsmanship of this bass is stunning, I'd never play anything like it. It would look so weird played live, in my musical style. I like a classic Fender look. Again, personal taste...

• Like 1