Why become a member? ×

The Benchmark For The Most Stunning Bass Ever Made Has Been Set... And It's High!

binky_bass

Just now, Rich said:

Congrats on your new baby! There are elements that I really do like, a lot, and would very likely have chosen myself -- the fingerboard is gorgeous, and the use of the blue resin is very effective and attractive -- but TBH it's definitely not the nicest singlecut shape I've seen, and whilst I do love a good coffee table bass I really hate buckeye. So for me, close but no cigar. As long as it makes you ecstatic, and I'm guessing it does, that's all that matters. :) 

I’m with you there @Rich. I’m not terribly taken with the shape, but I could live with it and that buckeye WITH the blue just doesn’t work for me in any way. The blocks would also annoy me as I’m quite partial to no markings on the face of the fretboard and if I was ordering a custom, that’s what I would specify.

Hipe you enjoy your new bass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, binky_bass said:

The body shape is quite unique, it's purposefully focuses for ergonomics so it is that shape for a reason - obviously I like the shape but I can understand why some might not! Buckeye - again one of those love or hate woods, I love the colour an complexity of the wood, but again, can absolutely see it not being everyone's taste!

Fixed 😂

• Like 1

That is one hell of a sexy instrument Binky!
I'll bet you can't wait to get your hands on it, and I know from experience it will play as good as it looks :)

<rant>This kind of instrument is always going to repel some bassists, but isn't it funny that you don't see those of us who love this kind of thing dropping in helpful comments like "boring" or "bloody hell, not another one" on NBD posts containing more old school basses...</rant>

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

The body shape is quite unique, it's purposefully focuses for ergonomics so it is that shape for a reason - obviously I like the shape but I can understand why some might not! Buckeye - again one of those love or hate woods, I love the colour an complexity of the wood, but again, can absolutely see it not being everyone's taste!

Also, as a Salace owner myself I can confirm it is one of the comfiest instruments I've ever played, if not thee most. It does all that while still looking like a proper sexy single cut, which I reckon is quite an achievement.

Anyway, please let us know when it arrives mate, and congratulations for when it comes!

Eude

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, eude said:

This kind of instrument is always going to repel some bassists, but isn't it funny that you don't see those of us who love this kind of thing dropping in helpful comments like "boring" or "bloody hell, not another one" on NBD posts containing more old school basses...

Totally right, each time I see some horrid basses, meaning almost all those old school thingies, I'm just feeling 🤢🤮 , but just don't make any comment. The opposite is, hélas, absolutely not true. A bit sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, I can't stand 'standard', the world is a glorious place with so much on offer, why have the same as everyone else? To those that prefer a Fender, cool, no problem! For me - I like something with more identity.

This bass creates a conversation that highlights our differences, none of which are wrong, they are just the subtlies that make us an individual.

I must say I enjoy the fact this bass causes a conflict of opinion, a Fender would rarely if ever really do that. An instrument can be art in itself, not just a tool to make art, and this is what I love about it. You can say you don't personally like it, and that is absolutely fine, but you can't deny that it can be considered a piece of art in itself! :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Storky said:

Love it, it looks great! Love the shape even though never used to like Alan’s shapes, but they’ve grown on me and I’d choose something similar (but with 5 strings). Would Alan do a multi-scale do you think?

You can but ask him! Drop him a message, I'm sure he'd be able to let you know.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich said:

There are elements that I really do like, a lot, and would very likely have chosen myself

^This, absolutely.^  I mean, the first 4 strings are just exactly what I would want.  Except I'd have flats. 

The rest is my worst nightmare.  But that's me.  Give me a P bass or a simple double cutaway and I'm happy :) 

8 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

You can say you don't personally like it, and that is absolutely fine, but you can't deny that it can be considered a piece of art in itself! :)

Oh absolutely yes! And one of the essential jobs of art is to divide opinion and invite comment. :)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eude said:

<rant>This kind of instrument is always going to repel some bassists, but isn't it funny that you don't see those of us who love this kind of thing dropping in helpful comments like "boring" or "bloody hell, not another one" on NBD posts containing more old school basses...</rant>

If someone puts up a NBD for say, a jazz bass, then woop - its a jazz bass in whatever colour with whatever colour pickgaurd. It isn't going to get any comments, as it is like coming home with a mondeo - oh you got a new bass. There isn't really a question there.

This is different.

Also, this isn't people commenting on a NBD post, this is people commenting on "The most stunning bass ever" post, which whatever it was, would get similar comments.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

If someone puts up a NBD for say, a jazz bass, then woop - its a jazz bass in whatever colour with whatever colour pickgaurd. It isn't going to get any comments, as it is like coming home with a mondeo - oh you got a new bass. There isn't really a question there.

This is different.

Also, this isn't people commenting on a NBD post, this is people commenting on "The most stunning bass ever" post, which whatever it was, would get similar comments.

Arguably 'Stunning' doesn't necessarily imply the positive, something can be stunningly terrible! But, which ever way you choose to slice it, this bass is quite stunning! Be you in the positively so or negatively so camp! 

(If you're in the negatively so camp then I'll see you behind the bike sheds at lunch break for a fight).

Edited by binky_bass
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

For me, I can't stand 'standard', the world is a glorious place with so much on offer, why have the same as everyone else? To those that prefer a Fender, cool, no problem! For me - I like something with more identity.

This bass creates a conversation that highlights our differences, none of which are wrong, they are just the subtlies that make us an individual.

I must say I enjoy the fact this bass causes a conflict of opinion, a Fender would rarely if ever really do that. An instrument can be art in itself, not just a tool to make art, and this is what I love about it. You can say you don't personally like it, and that is absolutely fine, but you can't deny that it can be considered a piece of art in itself! :)

And as you say that I need to this

I'm with you all the way

To the future 😂😂😂

IMG_20210208_075542.jpg

• Like 3

That's a lovely bass. ACGs shapes are a little "out there" perhaps, but they are original, which is not easy 70 years into the evolution of electric basses. The blue against the burl is reminiscent of of natural opal. Overall, a thing of beauty and I expect it will be not too shabby to play.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Storky said:

Love it, it looks great! Love the shape even though never used to like Alan’s shapes, but they’ve grown on me and I’d choose something similar (but with 5 strings). Would Alan do a multi-scale do you think?

IMG_2524.jpg

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/project/0278krelletype5/

It's already been done, and done with style and taste. The subtle grain of the maple board... the carefully stained grain of the body & ramp/pup cover... the racy stripes in the headstock...

Don't go to the "Finished Basses" section unless you want to drool...

Edited by PlungerModerno
Important findings... see spoilers
  • Like 3

I know I joked about the OP’s bass but I can’t deny it’s a stunning piece of work. The shape doesn’t do it for me, and personally I could probably take four of those strings off (and it would still be more than I need 😂) but it takes vision and skills to produce an instrument of that calibre. 
I could get away with half a P bass to do most of what I need to do, but for a proper player the OP’s bass would be wicked.

(with flats and tort, obvs)

• Haha 1

On 10/02/2021 at 21:48, Ian McFly said:

Craftmanship: 10/10

Personal taste: 0/10. Would rather play a Harley Benton than this. 

Well, I have to agree too.

Like a high end Rolls Royce, looks good with lots to admire, and would look great on my drive, but I'd rather drive my Skoda any day.