Why become a member? ×

Little Mark 2/3

mrdirtyrob

[quote name='alexclaber' post='447343' date='Mar 27 2009, 02:55 PM']What is with this obsession with mute switches?!!

Alex[/quote]

Well i would find one useful.
Yeah yeah, i know others get by without them (i do as well) but as my tuner is hanging out of the tuner out on my amp it means i have to turn the amp down to tune. And if im hooked in to the PA i have to turn the DI out down as well. one button would be easier but not essential. In dim stage lighting i cant always get the knobs back to where they started.
I dont use any FX etc so its bass, wireless amp.
Saying that, i very rarely go out of tune at gigs (play yes, but go out no ;-) so its not something i really worry about during the gig most of the time.
Unless my singer decides to collide with my bass as does happen.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='447387' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:30 PM']I use a chromatic clip-on headstock tuner. Turn your onboard volume knob right down and silent tuning sorted!

Alex[/quote]

But that looks really pikey.

It's a pet hate of mine... people spend all this money on fantastic intruments... and then stick a tenner's worth of tat on the end of it. Why??

Each to their own though!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='447392' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:34 PM']But that looks really pikey.[/quote]

I don't play the gig with it on there! I use it to tune up before going on stage, then it sits on top of the amp in the unlikely event of something strange happening. In most cases my bass never needs tuning between the start and end of the set.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='447392' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:34 PM']It's a pet hate of mine... people spend all this money on fantastic intruments...[/quote] and then run it through some low voltage high distortion electronics... Why?! :)

Alex

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='447392' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:34 PM']But that looks really pikey.

It's a pet hate of mine... people spend all this money on fantastic intruments... and then stick a tenner's worth of tat on the end of it. Why??

Each to their own though![/quote]

I agree that we all have our own way of doing things and so for Alex that works but to me its not a solution and i agree it looks, well, strange.

I got a Ashdown ABM a few years ago and one of the attractions was the mute switch. It never worked right as i could still hear my bass on coming out of my cab. Ashdown said it was more an attenuator than a total mute. That was the last time i used a mute button (and an Ashdown)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='447412' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:42 PM']I agree that we all have our own way of doing things and so for Alex that works but to me its not a solution and i agree it looks, well, strange.

I got a Ashdown ABM a few years ago and one of the attractions was the mute switch. It never worked right as i could still hear my bass on coming out of my cab. Ashdown said it was more an attenuator than a total mute. That was the last time i used a mute button (and an Ashdown)[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, people can do what they want - and should do! If that works for Alex, who am I to try and talk him out of it!!

Ashdown - I noticed that. More of an attenuator? Liars. More like a FAIL.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='447410' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:41 PM']I don't play the gig with it on there! I use it to tune up before going on stage, then it sits on top of the amp in the unlikely event of something strange happening. In most cases my bass never needs tuning between the start and end of the set.

and then run it through some low voltage high distortion electronics... Why?! :)

Alex[/quote]

That's OK then. Playing the gig with a backlit LED tuner thing on the top of the headstock is grim. If you are going to do LEDs and look like a tw@, then do it properly :rolleyes:

I take it you are referring to my preamp right? I couldn't care less what a meter says, if you can hear any distortion from the preamp, I'll buy you a pack of biscuits. :D

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='447425' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:52 PM']Don't get me wrong, people can do what they want - and should do! If that works for Alex, who am I to try and talk him out of it!![/quote]

I agree. I was just saying that while it doe work for Alex it wouldn't work for me either.

There are threads all over TB as well about the missing mute switch. I cant understand why MB in one one head but not the others. Especially as people have been going on about it for ages.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='447456' date='Mar 27 2009, 04:14 PM']I agree. I was just saying that while it doe work for Alex it wouldn't work for me either.

There are threads all over TB as well about the missing mute switch. I cant understand why MB in one one head but not the others. Especially as people have been going on about it for ages.[/quote]

Save a penny I guess...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='447456' date='Mar 27 2009, 04:14 PM']....There are threads all over TB as well about the missing mute switch. I cant understand why MB in one one head but not the others. Especially as people have been going on about it for ages....[/quote]
This isn't an issue for Markbass. A couple of hundred moans against tens of thousands of sales means there is no contest.

[quote name='chris_b' post='447525' date='Mar 27 2009, 05:13 PM']This isn't an issue for Markbass. A couple of hundred moans against tens of thousands of sales means there is no contest.[/quote]

Its not hurting sales but with MB saying how they listen and want to give the users what they ask for, and there are users asking for it then why didn't they do it?

Could it be that as the only heads with mutes are tube heads maybe its got something to do with protection. Also these are both 2 channel heads so again, maybe it has to do with that.

I can and will live without it but it would just make life a bit easier if i had a mute on the head.

Edited by dave_bass5

I used to own an EBS HD350 with no mute and bought a Korg rackmount tuner to get around the problem as it has a mute function.
I'm hoping to get an SA450 soon and wondered if I can do the same. Put the effects send/return into series-mode and hook the tuner into the effects chain. Mute the tuner and the signal is muted.
Anyone know if that will mute the DI on an SA450 as I also go through the PA.

[quote name='largo' post='450560' date='Mar 31 2009, 02:54 PM']I used to own an EBS HD350 with no mute and bought a Korg rackmount tuner to get around the problem as it has a mute function.
I'm hoping to get an SA450 soon and wondered if I can do the same. Put the effects send/return into series-mode and hook the tuner into the effects chain. Mute the tuner and the signal is muted.
Anyone know if that will mute the DI on an SA450 as I also go through the PA.[/quote]

Yes it will work. The DI is post EQ.
So assuming the SA450 has the same jumper as the LMII it will all work as planed.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='alexclaber' post='447343' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:55 PM']What is with this obsession with mute switches?!!

Alex[/quote]
They can be quite useful. Changing instruments. Vintage (or crap) pedals that make a lot of noise when switched. OK you can pull the lead but that takes time. Switched jack leads can be good but I use wireless (and the off switch on that sends a clunk through the amp).

• 3 weeks later...