Why become a member? ×

NWOBHM

Killed_by_Death

On 10/02/2021 at 21:11, Noisyjon said:

Oh wow, loving this thread everyone. Thanks for your memories and knowledge.

I am just a bit too young to have seen the NWOBHM bands BUT one of my favourite bands always site the genre as a big influence (it's very apparent in their early sound) and the drummer even helped curate this great compilation which helped me get a flavour:

IMG_7381.jpg

Some names there mind!

Of those mentioned, back in the day supported White Spirit, Raven, Tygers, Vardis & Venom.

More recently gigged/recorded with Troyen who were lumped in this category first time round. Blitzkreig & Tyson Dog were on a couple of those gigs.

'Appy days.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rushbo said:

I went with a subtle variation: "New Wobbum", which I imagine is a little village somewhere in East Sussex. 

Yes, New Wobbum for me too. Always imagined it being just outside Stourbridge!

Edited by Noisyjon
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Noisyjon said:

Yes, New Wobbum for me too. Always imagined it being just outside Stour Bridge!

Speaking as someone who lives just outside Stourbridge, there's not a new anything around these parts...

There is a Bell End nearby, though: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/hands-bell-end-historic-road-14512296

Edited by rushbo
  • Haha 1

It's funny that this came up as I realised about a week ago I was pouring over Def Leppard's "Early Years" boxset, with remasters of the first two albums (High'n'Dry is still my favourite record of theirs) plus lots of hidden gems from early singles, radio shows, Reading festival 1980 and even better, their entire set from Oxford whilst they were on their 1980 headline tour. They really were a great young band and aren't the same without Steve Clark and Pete Willis. Whatever you think of their other output those first three albums were great.

I had the getcha socks off ep ( yellow label , and not the rarer red ) and played it a lot . There was a rumour that they were going to play the music machine one Monday night, but in fact didn't . Luckily I saw them at hammy o supporting Ac/Dc on Rick's birthday . I remember Pete Willis being very good .I had the wasted 7"" , but hello America wasn't to my liking , and I was buying other metal instead . 
Looking back , I detested the pop stuff, although the harmonies are good and they have 1 or 2 songs that I do like . I keep meaning to listen to high and dry,,as I heard that in a friends house .  May do one day ..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I had the getcha socks off ep ( yellow label , and not the rarer red ) and played it a lot . There was a rumour that they were going to play the music machine one Monday night, but in fact didn't . Luckily I saw them at hammy o supporting Ac/Dc on Rick's birthday . I remember Pete Willis being very good .I had the wasted 7"" , but hello America wasn't to my liking , and I was buying other metal instead . 
Looking back , I detested the pop stuff, although the harmonies are good and they have 1 or 2 songs that I do like . I keep meaning to listen to high and dry,,as I heard that in a friends house .  May do one day ..

No real bass or drums on record after Pyromania. 

22 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

#pedantaltert - not strictly true. Slang (1996) was alive instruments, I think most back tracks actually played live together. And bass has (supposedly) been played rather than programmed on the last couple of studio albums.

FWIW I rate Slang as one of their best albums, it showed that despite Pete and Steve being gone they could still write some great songs, albeit not Ner-Wob-Mm 🤓

Edited by Merton

My first proper gig was in 1980 with Priest on the British Steel tour. Maiden supported with Di'Anno, Burr and Stratton. It was all about Running Free and they were pretty good.

Newcastle City Hall was my stomping ground and we used to get down fairly regularly and see 3 bands for £2 or £3. I remember Girlschool, Angelwitch, Witchfynde, Tank as well as the big names like Motorhead.

I'm proud to say I had a ticket to see Def Leppard on the On Through the Night tour, but I didn't go because I thought they were cr@p. Never regretted it, because it's a fact that they are cr@p.. Bombay Shite-Hawks as the NME would used to say. My prejudices were borne-out at Donnington in '86 when I finally saw their nonsense

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I found listening to Hysteria an increasingly unsettling experience, as I began to doubt that I was actually hearing anything real and natural: not the drums, not the bass, not the guitars, just this metal-flavoured mousse of overproduced noise. 

I too was at the priest/ maiden gigs of the '80s at hammy o and the rainbow . 
Did anyone go to the one at the rainbow, where halford ran into the Crowd ? On the front cover of sounds the following week, there was  halford standing ontop of the pa , and a big x covering his private parts 😹

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I've been waiting for this thread to reach its Clive Burr Appreciation moment 🥰 

Di'Anno Murray Smith Harris Burr, my favourite line up

I was at the gig . I ended up taking home a seat from that gig , after the crowd surged forward and broke a fair few . Well , I was Young 😼

They had to do a handful of those songs again for the video , and were a bit peeved off to say the least . Great gig ! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 4000 said:

Was a big fan of RG, back in the day. Remember first seeing them at JRs in Blackpool. They blew me away. Tracey Lamb even took a swig of my lager! Chatted to them after the gig; great girls. My mate (see previous posts) corresponded with Jody T for a bit after that. 

I always had a bit of  a thing for her baby sis Tracey (drummer).  She was proper jailbait in the early days (13 when the band started, if you can believe it), but still a couple of years older than me.

Any idea what they're doing now?

A

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I found listening to Hysteria an increasingly unsettling experience, as I began to doubt that I was actually hearing anything real and natural: not the drums, not the bass, not the guitars, just this metal-flavoured mousse of overproduced noise. 

But what you have to accept is that every time you went to a rock club for a night out for the next 30 years or more, you would hear at least four songs every night from that album. Like it or not and regardless of what you think of the production, that makes it a great album - just like Back In Black or Appetite For Destruction!

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

Ive lost track of the amount of times i saw Angelwitch back in the day, especially at the old Marquee. I remember having one of their Baphomet posters on my bedroom wall, and the first time my GF walked in and  saw it she thought i was in to black magic and was part of a cult lol. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive lost track of the amount of times i saw Angelwitch back in the day, especially at the old Marquee. I remember having one of their Baphomet posters on my bedroom wall, and the first time my GF walked in and  saw it she thought i was in to black magic and was part of a cult lol. 

Loved 'em!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I've been waiting for this thread to reach its Clive Burr Appreciation moment 🥰 

Di'Anno Murray Smith Harris Burr, my favourite line up

(ps love that Di'Anno plays air guitar left handed)

Clive was by far the best drummer they’ve had. For me they were never the same without him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alien said:

I always had a bit of  a thing for her baby sis Tracey (drummer).  She was proper jailbait in the early days (13 when the band started, if you can believe it), but still a couple of years older than me.

Any idea what they're doing now?

A

The younger sis was Julie. Tracey was the bassist.

I remember them keeping a very strict eye on Julie at the JR’s gig in case someone tried to chat her up (IIRC they said she was 14 at the time, but you wouldn’t have known). 

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I got that from my mum and dad when I first got into Sabbath and started to wear a Sabbath cross. 😂 In a rare moment of clarity I showed them the words to After Forever and that shut them up. 

• Haha 2