Why become a member? ×

NWOBHM

Killed_by_Death

2 minutes ago, Clarky said:

I saw the same tour but at Hammersmith Odeon. I won front row tickets as there was a competition form in the  "Unleashed in the East" album. Touched Rob Halford's leather biker boots. As you do

Touched with what? 😉

For me it was a coming of age... getting out of Hexham and on the train doon tha toon. Walking up Northumberland Ave to the City Hall.. I can see the sky and smell the air (from the hops at Scottish and Newcastle) thinking about it now.

Newcastle was always a good town for a show and a good rock town in general with the Mayfair, The Jubilee and the rest.

Not long after that gig I saw Motorhead when they did a couple of one-offs at Newcastle and Leeds for what became the No Sleep Till Hammersmith Album. To this day that was one of the best gigs I've ever been too.

• Like 2

The Three Amigos were the only Motorhead lineup for me. I saw them 3 or 4 times from 1980 up to and including Iron Fist. Think I saw them twice at Leeds. Fantastic every time, loved them so much back then. Can’t believe none of them are with us any more, seems impossible.

• Like 2

I was doing a bit of research and it turns out Motorhead recorded NSTH in March '81, so a year after the British Steel tour hit Newcastle in March 1980. I've done a bit of googling and Priest did 2 nights in Newcastle, the first at the City Hall, the second at the Mayfair. I remember this and believed the City Hall gig was added for under 18's as the Mayfair was 18+. So fair play to Priest as I was 13 at hte time

I found these pictures from the recording of NSTH Motorhead City Hall gig 30th March '81, which I believe was the night I was there.

Image 25

Image 23

Image 21

Image 16

54410200_10157676980779881_9081685730094219264_n.jpg?w=657&h=&crop=1

image-04.jpg?w=1050&h=&crop=1

All nicked from https://garyalikivi.com/ which is worth a shuffti

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

Newcastle was always a good town for a show and a good rock town in general with the Mayfair, The Jubilee and the rest.

Vow Wow filmed a gig in Newcastle in the mid 80s. I saw a clip or two of it on YouTube a few years ago, and was jealous of everyone who was there, the atmosphere looked fantastic. 

Edited by Ricky Rioli
Can't type grammar innit
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, tony_m said:

My distinct memories of the Norbreck include Def Leppard, Saxon, Iron Maiden (with Di'Anno), Samson, Angelwitch, Witchfynde, Vardis, Magnum, Tygers of Pan Tang, Girlschool, White Spirit, Praying Mantis, Mythra, and Law (aka Blizzard of Ozz's not-so-secret warm-up gig), but I'm sure there must have been umpteen more whose names are now lost in the mists of time and my memory. I somehow missed seeing Budgie, Diamond Head and Limelight there, though did see Limelight at JR's (supported by local band Stallion IIRC).

Happy days...

UFO 🤟

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

The Three Amigos were the only Motorhead lineup for me. I saw them 3 or 4 times from 1980 up to and including Iron Fist. Think I saw them twice at Leeds. Fantastic every time, loved them so much back then. Can’t believe none of them are with us any more, seems impossible.

I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes "Another Perfect Day" (saw the Robbo line-up just the once, at Preston Guildhall), and ultimately stuck with 'em through every album and tour up to "Rock 'n Roll". "1916" just didn't do it for me ("Going To Brazil" aside), and that was the end of my Motorhead obsession. But yeah, hard to believe the "Originals" are all gone (plus Wurzel, of course).

5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

UFO were than band that should have had the fame Iron Maiden got....IMO of course. 

This. One of my top two gigs of all time was UFO at Newcastle city hall around 1979-ish. The other one was Whitesnake at the same place (proper Whitesnake!).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tony_m said:

I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes "Another Perfect Day" (saw the Robbo line-up just the once, at Preston Guildhall), and ultimately stuck with 'em through every album and tour up to "Rock 'n Roll". "1916" just didn't do it for me ("Going To Brazil" aside), and that was the end of my Motorhead obsession. But yeah, hard to believe the "Originals" are all gone (plus Wurzel, of course).

Wow, 1916 is one of my favourite albums. The title track  is just amazing.

6 minutes ago, Combed20 said:

Wow, 1916 is one of my favourite albums. The title track  is just amazing.

Yeah, can't explain why, but it just didn't do it for me. 🤷‍♂️ Might have to revisit it I guess... 

Edited by tony_m
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

UFO were than band that should have had the fame Iron Maiden got....IMO of course. 

Maybe, if their bass player was a businessman and not an alcoholic, and a singer who was a businessman and not a brawler.. or maybe the biggest talent not being an unreliable alcoholic.

And I say this as a big fan of UFO and not keen on post Di'Anno Maiden

Maiden were (because of Smallwood and Harris) completely focused on the business and the big picture.. Maiden and UFO is like the Viz's Brown Bottle coming up against Superman. Kap-pow!.... F'f'f'flipin' hell!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Billy Apple said:

Maybe, if their bass player was a businessman and not an alcoholic, and a singer who was a businessman and not a brawler.. or maybe the biggest talent not being an unreliable alcoholic.

Maiden were (because of Smallwood and Harris) completely focused on the business and the big picture.. Maiden and UFO is like the Viz's Brown Bottle coming up against Superman. Kap-pow!.... F'f'f'flipin' hell!?

Cant argue with that, but isnt that what Rock and roll was all about back then 😎.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cant argue with that, but isnt that what Rock and roll was all about back then 😎.

Aye, and I felt a bit mean posting it.. I'm not having issues with people rocking out or those with drug and alcohol problems. But they were a band that could've done something if perhaps they'd got these things under control... The clue is in the name... music business.

I speak with a little experience. There were a handful of bands I was in who could've been and nearly were signed, but dogged by drummers with personality disorders or guitarists who would rather get drunk before the meeting with the A&R man. I was often the odd man out who used to turn up (early) sober, do the gig, rehearsal, session or whatever and then party.

Edited by Billy Apple
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

Aye, and I felt a bit mean posting it.. I'm not having issues with people rocking out or those with drug and alcohol problems. But they were a band that could've done something if perhaps they'd got these things under control... The clue is in the name... music business.

I speak with a little experience. There were a handful of bands I was in who could've been and nearly were signed, but dogged by drummers with personality disorders or guitarists who would rather get drunk before the meeting with the A&R man. I was often the odd man out who used to turn up (early) sober, do the gig, rehearsal, session or whatever and then party.

I wasnt aware of any of those issues back when i used to go and see them, other than the issue with Schenker and his drinking, but you could tell they were more a pub rock band than IM, who did seem to always be on the next rung up the ladder to success. 

You can always rely on a band to self destruct just on the verge of making it lol. 

This was released yesterday. Although I'm on a couple of Troyen albums, not me on this one. 

A good cause supported by lesser known bands who can still do it live (Mods delete if inappropriate).

Available now to download the compilation album "The Flame Still Burns" in aid of SANDS, the Stillbirth and NeoNatal Death Charity supported by Mearfest. 15 awesome tracks from 15 great NWOBHM bands including Troyen track "Lady Evil".

To purchase click on the link 

https://gumroad.com/l/rIZGy?fbclid=IwAR36l4y_vn0xn67qtsuO5wVywnC0tvlY-OFAvb9J4gYPk93S6E0Ic36LPPU

Then hit the section that says I Want This!

Track Listing:

Weapon UK - ‘79 Revisited

Troyen - Lady Evil

Mandora - Take My Hand

Millennium - The Devil Rides Out

Cloven Hoof - Reach For The Sky

Montreaux - Flashlights

Avenger - Inquisitor

Grim Reaper - Rock You To Hell

Abaddon UK - Oxygen Thief

Quartz - Highway To Madness

Traitors Gate - Fall From Grace

Airforce - Fineline

Tysondog- Crash & Burn

Trespass - Bittersweet

*Bonus Track*

Praying Mantis - Naked

49 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

With UFO I think better management would definitely have helped. The late 70s/early 80s constant treadmill of album/tour/album/tour/etc. was never addressed. You're right about the personalities in the band but they rarely spent time away from each other, so never had a proper opportunity to take stock and recharge the batteries.

A good manager, working with the record company, could definitely have done things differently. Had they looked at the medium/longer term rather than merely milking the album/tour model in the shorter term, who knows, maybe Schenker would/could have stayed and things could have been different.

Add to this the copious amounts of drugs being used (and not just the band) it's little wonder it all eventually came crashing down, with no money to show for the years of sold out US arenas etc. 

Even if the above had been different I'm still not sure they would have had the success in the UK they deserved. Around the time of NWOBHM Def Leppard found success in the US before the UK audiences would properly take to them, and I think UFO would have found themselves in the same boat with that particular audience.

I think a lot of the NWOBHM audience found the likes of UFO a bit 'flash', and 'rock star-ish' (which they were!), whereas the bands that formed much of the NWOBHM scene were the opposite of that. I often think it was the heavy rock version of the punk model/ethos - DIY, unfussy, not flash, lacking pretention, where bands took control and issued the records themselves.

Despite being a fan of rock 'n' roll and guitar bands in general the NWOBHM scene passed me by as the bands (with the exception of Girl) were, to my ears at least, closer in sound/style to Sabbath, Purple et al, who really weren't my cup of tea. 

As a kid I really liked the bands who looked like rock stars - Bowie, Bolan, Mott, Roxy Music, Rod and the Faces etc. - and UFO definitely fell into that category!!

Interestingly enough, in 1978 I was lucky enough to see AC/DC with Bon, and UFO with Schenker. Those two gigs are probably the best hard rock gigs I've seen. I still get goosebumps today just thinking of the gigs. 

One band went on to achieve huge global success with the help of heavyweight management, and the other one...

7 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Let's not forget that Sharon Osbourne's father was managing UFO.

I'd be hard-pressed to not think he was stealing from them!

Don Arden trained Peter Grant!

Cant find a good word to say about any of that family. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

With UFO I think better management would definitely have helped. The late 70s/early 80s constant treadmill of album/tour/album/tour/etc. was never addressed. You're right about the personalities in the band but they rarely spent time away from each other, so never had a proper opportunity to take stock and recharge the batteries.

A good manager, working with the record company, could definitely have done things differently. Had they looked at the medium/longer term rather than merely milking the album/tour model in the shorter term, who 

I think a lot of the NWOBHM audience found the likes of UFO a bit 'flash', and 'rock star-ish' (which they were!), whereas the bands that formed much of the NWOBHM scene were the opposite of that. I often think it was the heavy rock version of the punk model/ethos - DIY, unfussy, not flash, lacking pretention, where bands took control and issued the records themselves.

Despite being a fan of rock 'n' roll and guitar bands in general the NWOBHM scene passed me by as the bands (with the exception of Girl) were, to my ears at least, closer in sound/style to Sabbath, Purple et al, who really weren't my cup of tea. 

As a kid I really liked the bands who looked like rock stars - Bowie, Bolan, Mott, Roxy Music, Rod and the Faces etc. - and UFO definitely fell into that category!!

Interestingly enough, in 1978 I was lucky enough to see AC/DC with Bon, and UFO with Schenker. Those two gigs are probably the best hard rock gigs I've seen. I still get goosebumps today just thinking of the gigs. 

One band went on to achieve huge global success with the help of heavyweight management, and the other one...

That’s an interesting take, and there is probably more than a bit of truth in it. I was the opposite to you I guess; in the same way as I supported City as a kid when they were blue collar and hated United because they were a “bunch of flash poseurs”, I loved bands like Purple and Sabbath and didn’t really ‘get’ Bowie, Roxy etc. NWOBHM definitely was metal with a more punk, ‘street’ mindset. 

I remember first seeing UFO on TOTPs doing Doctor Doctor and thinking it was great, but apart from that & Lights Out, nothing really grabbed me too much and I never got into them. I got the chance to see DC with Bon on the last tour they did and turned it down (I think I was skint), saying I’d catch them next time. Of course there wasn’t one. ☹️

• Like 1