Why become a member? ×

NWOBHM

Killed_by_Death

6 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I've been waiting for this thread to reach its Clive Burr Appreciation moment 🥰 

Di'Anno Murray Smith Harris Burr, my favourite line up

(ps love that Di'Anno plays air guitar left handed)

Back in 1981/2 one of my mates went to a Maiden gig and came home clutching one of Clive Burr's sticks. He was showing it off to us next day, I remember it had 'CLIVE BURR  HIT 'EM HARD' printed along it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Same here, one of my favourites in the early 80s.

Another fan of RG. My mate used to  refers to them as ‘the pretty version of GirlsSchool’. 

I saw GS quite a few times, but never got to see RG live. 

First time i ever heard the song Bang Bang was them playing it, and its still my fav version. 

• Like 2

My originals band ( back in the day, as they say...) supported Girlschool at the Chelmsford Army and Navy pub, must have been '93, '94 (?).. I don't know if they had any original members from the 80's version of the band. We were terrified. Luckily, due to grunge being the flavour of the day, virtually noone turned up so it was like all our other gigs 😆😆

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

I always liked Girlschool. Saw them a couple of times and they definitely brought it. 

My GF/singer was in an all girl covers band with Jackie just before she joined GS. Its strange seeing her on those large stages at rock festivals, when ive also seen her playing in social  clubs with all the sparkling costumes they used to wear. 

Yeah, saw girl school many times in the '80s . Always good value .

I'd say if they were just starting out now , they'd be a lot bigger .

The last time I saw them was with rogue make at the Hammersmith Clarendon . Rogue male supporting . Very late '80s/early '90s .

Jim lyttle was a top bloke . It was a good gig . 
Onky saw rock goddess once at the marquee around the same time . They were good. They just passed me by for some reason . Not sure of the ins and outs , but I'm not sure if they were managed / promoted very well ..

On 11/02/2021 at 18:10, MacDaddy said:

no mention of Rock Goddess yet? They reformed a couple of years ago and the latest album is quite good 😎

9s9ccudg.jpeg?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&w=1000

Didnt know about this until i saw your post, just had a listen. 

The album reminds me of early Vixen, but less polished (well it was the 80’s).  Probably the vocals. Thanks for posting that. 

On 10/02/2021 at 21:22, 4000 said:

That’s the first time I’ve seen a recording featuring Dragster. They played at the Motorheadbangers party (Iron Fist release?) at the Ritz in Manchester - anyone remember the date? Loudest band I ever saw, and that includes Motorhead (several times). Bass player played a TBird - ‘60s IIRC - fingerstyle I think through I think an Orange head. He sounded immense. 

A lot of the other bands used to play at the Norbreck Nightspot back in the day. 

My distinct memories of the Norbreck include Def Leppard, Saxon, Iron Maiden (with Di'Anno), Samson, Angelwitch, Witchfynde, Vardis, Magnum, Tygers of Pan Tang, Girlschool, White Spirit, Praying Mantis, Mythra, and Law (aka Blizzard of Ozz's not-so-secret warm-up gig), but I'm sure there must have been umpteen more whose names are now lost in the mists of time and my memory. I somehow missed seeing Budgie, Diamond Head and Limelight there, though did see Limelight at JR's (supported by local band Stallion IIRC).

Happy days...

24 minutes ago, tony_m said:

My distinct memories of the Norbreck include Def Leppard, Saxon, Iron Maiden (with Di'Anno), Samson, Angelwitch, Witchfynde, Vardis, Magnum, Tygers of Pan Tang, Girlschool, White Spirit, Praying Mantis, Mythra, and Law (aka Blizzard of Ozz's not-so-secret warm-up gig), but I'm sure there must have been umpteen more whose names are now lost in the mists of time and my memory. I somehow missed seeing Budgie, Diamond Head and Limelight there, though did see Limelight at JR's (supported by local band Stallion IIRC).

Happy days...

I missed quite a few of those for reasons I can’t remember; I think some of my mates went to most of the ones I missed. I saw Angelwitch, Vardis (?), possibly Witchfynde (not sure), Girlschool a couple of times. Pretty sure there were others. Watched the sound check for Blizzard, met the band, also watched the gig which was an extremely enjoyable shambles. Remember thinking Randy Rhoads (unknown to me at the time) was amazing.

I supported Limelight in my first band, may have been at the Gaiety Bar? We’d just got a new singer, who was hopeless. He lasted the one gig. I don’t think we lasted much longer in that incarnation; Tbh we weren’t very good, but we’d only been playing a couple of years or so.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2021 at 17:40, Billy Apple said:

My first proper gig was in 1980 with Priest on the British Steel tour. Maiden supported with Di'Anno, Burr and Stratton.

I saw the same tour but at Hammersmith Odeon. I won front row tickets as there was a competition form in the  "Unleashed in the East" album. Touched Rob Halford's leather biker boots. As you do

• Like 3