Why become a member? ×

NWOBHM

Killed_by_Death

I had that 12" ep by the blood , but lost it when I moved home . It was pretty gothy from what I remember . Hard to find now .

Alices restaurant was a pirate rock station  on Saturdays and sundays . Sometimes you could hear them getting raided and start up again ..

I was gonna say that I need to get out more , but due to COVID I can't 😺

This is still on one of my old record boxes ..

9234988A-0501-4082-8704-3D709D3C46C8.jpeg

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

47 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Saw Sammy live two nights running(Lancaster and Manc)  in about ‘81, ‘82? He was so good the first time I immediately bought a ticket for the next night. 

His bass player was Bill Church - introduced as The Electric Church when he did his solo. One of my nicknames at the time was Bill, so with much hilarity on their part, my band at the time (who were and still remain my best friends, many years later), named me The Electric Bill. 😂

In fact, the drummer in that band also auditioned for Diamondhead, IIRC. And The Sweet at some point. He ended up in a punk band called The Blood. 

I think I saw The Blood. Did they support Slapshot back in the 90's?

12 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I forget his name, but he is a vegan 

edit: Phil collen 

bag lady is exactly the word for joe Elliot, he looks like my gran, without makeup 

Ha ha 😆😆

I think Def Leppard were ( Image wise) a victim of timing, the music they made on Pyromania was better received in the US and it was just as the BIG hair bands were breaking out there too and they kind of went along with that ( and lets face it their career went stratospheric so fair play to them) . I've seen them live a good few times over the years, the guys are all decent singers in their own right so doubt there's any shenanigans going on, they still tour almost endlessly in US so they should be good.

Joe has IMO never had a brilliant singing voice, back in the day he sounded a little bit AC/DC ish which is what rock bands needed, but having said that compared to J Bon Jovi he's not aged too badly!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sykilz said:

I used to get a lot of Tygers albums out from our local record library because the covers were so awesome ( to a 13 year old male!!). 🤘🤘

Speaking partly as a huge fan of Michael Moorcock (which is where the name came from), I thought they had one of the best band names ever. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bilbo said:

My moment in the sun.... 

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Heavy-Metal-Heroes-Volume-II/release/2138908

NWOBHM was where it all started for me. In 2 years or so, I did the Friday Rock Show an EP and the above track on a compilation LP. It went down hill from there. 

I am far Left on the photo and politically. 

No-Quarter-2.jpg

What band is this Bilbo?

16 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

no mention of Rock Goddess yet? They reformed a couple of years ago and the latest album is quite good 😎

9s9ccudg.jpeg?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&w=1000

Was a big fan of RG, back in the day. Remember first seeing them at JRs in Blackpool. They blew me away. Tracey Lamb even took a swig of my lager! Chatted to them after the gig; great girls. My mate (see previous posts) corresponded with Jody T for a bit after that. 

11 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Was a big fan of RG, back in the day. Remember first seeing them at JRs in Blackpool. They blew me away. Tracey Lamb even took a swig of my lager! Chatted to them after the gig; great girls. My mate (see previous posts) corresponded with Jody T for a bit after that. 

Same here, one of my favourites in the early 80s.

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Same here, one of my favourites in the early 80s.

Current bass player Jenny sounds great, and always has a big smile when she's playing  😎

48 minutes ago, pineweasel said:

I wasn't a big fan of the heavier stuff, but I remember being impressed by this on the Friday Rock Show. Sadly they never went anywhere.

A brilliant band from Brum. They made one album - "First Investment" which was reissued on a CD a few years back and a fantastic, three track EP. My copy of that is way cracklier than this version! Try and track down the Friday Rock Show Session they did around this time, too. 

They were a permanent fixture in the rock clubs of the West Midlands around the time of NWOBHM, but they were a bit too pomp-rocky to fit in with that scene. They were a really good live band, and metalheads of a certain location and vintage may remember them being added to the bill at a Judas Priest gig at the Birmingham Odeon, as JP were going to be late due to them recording a Top of the Pops appearance in the afternoon. 

Fun fact: John Overton, their guitarist, produced and engineered my first ever demo tape. I was genuinely starstruck. 

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rich said:

Does anyone else, when looking at the acronym NWOBHM, pronounce it in their head as 'ner-wobbum'?

Just me, then. :lol: 

I went with a subtle variation: "New Wobbum", which I imagine is a little village somewhere in East Sussex. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I like to imagine how the newscaster Moira Stuart would have pronounced it.  Like some West African despot.

N'WOB'm

Ah yes, that would be His Excellency Professor General Colonel Sir Lord N'Wob'm from the Democratic Republic of Nambia. Where they grow all the covfefe.

• Haha 1