Why become a member? ×

NWOBHM

Killed_by_Death

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

His (Phil Collens) previous band, Girl, are worth a listen. They were lumped in with the NWOBHM bands of the time but were so far away from them in terms of sounds and style they may as well have been from a different planet.

They did a good cover of Do You Love Me, by Kiss, that Geoff Barton championed at the time.

They supported UFO on their No Place to Run, and were excellent...

Girl were one of my favourite bands back then, i used to see them all around London and also at the Reading Festival one year. more glam than heavy rock but great songwriting on the debut album Sheer Greed. Phil Collen played in a mate of mines band before that (The Dumb Blondes) and i also got to know Phil Lewis the singer from Girl from 'ligging' with them. He was romantically linked with Britt Ekland and ended up going to America to sing with LA Guns.

• Like 5

And while the juices are flowing here's my favourite NWOBHM album ever! Really undergound, dodgy production but just listen to 4 tracks off it - Let it Loose, Cry Wolf, Berlin and Ain't No Fit Place - such epic riffing going on! Saw them many times and i think they may still be about doing festivals in Sweden and suchlike.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

Speaking of Def Leppard, last night I stumbled upon a fairly recent live performance of theirs.  Embedded below.

Now I put on the table immediately that I believe Joe Elliot to be a twonk of the first order.  I've always struggled to bond with the image he portrays and recently he seems to have morphed into a bag lady.  But this video I thought was amazing, almost breathtaking in it's power.  How much is really live, I wonder?  And the guitarist with no shirt.  I looked him up - he is the same age as me - 63.  If I had a torso like that I'd never wear a shirt either.

Bag lady 😂 spot on hahaha

They always claim their vocals are completely live and having seen them both on this exact show and 3 years previous I can say he was certainly in far better fettle here than 2015. Personally think his voice hasn’t been great since .. well ever if we’re being picky 😆 .. but it’s not been this good for a while.

Edited by Merton
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Noisyjon said:

Oh wow, loving this thread everyone. Thanks for your memories and knowledge.

I am just a bit too young to have seen the NWOBHM bands BUT one of my favourite bands always site the genre as a big influence (it's very apparent in their early sound) and the drummer even helped curate this great compilation which helped me get a flavour:

IMG_7381.jpg

Saw Angel Witch in Brum somewhere, wasn't the Odeon, probably 1980, briefly dated Raven's Gallagher brothers sister Elaine at college and ended up playing in a band with Jackie Bodimead late of Girlschool for a while in the early 90's.... Tenuous connection city, Arizona.

Edited by WinterMute
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

Saw Angel Witch in Brum somewhere, wasn't the Odeon, probably 1980,

I think that might have been at the old Bingley Hall in Brum, headlined by Budgie. Also on the bill were a four piece Iron Maiden, Samson and local legends Jameson Raid. 

6 minutes ago, rushbo said:

I think that might have been at the old Bingley Hall in Brum, headlined by Budgie. Also on the bill were a four piece Iron Maiden, Samson and local legends Jameson Raid. 

No, it was a smaller venue than Bingley, saw Fleetwood Mac there on the Tusk tour, it was something like West Brom town hall or the like, they were headlining. Saw Budgie at the Odeon supporting Blizzard of Ozz, that was a gig.

Edited by WinterMute

When I first started work in '87 there was a bloke about ten years older who lent me loads of albums including Tygers of Pan Tang. There was also Graham Bonnets band, Alcatraz, although thinking about it Yngwie Malmsteen was guitarist so can't really be classed British, they had that sound though from memory.

I ended up in my first proper band with that bloke from work. Happy days. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Speaking of Def Leppard, last night I stumbled upon a fairly recent live performance of theirs.  Embedded below.

Now I put on the table immediately that I believe Joe Elliot to be a twonk of the first order.  I've always struggled to bond with the image he portrays and recently he seems to have morphed into a bag lady.  But this video I thought was amazing, almost breathtaking in it's power.  How much is really live, I wonder?  And the guitarist with no shirt.  I looked him up - he is the same age as me - 63.  If I had a torso like that I'd never wear a shirt either.

I forget his name, but he is a vegan 

edit: Phil collen 

bag lady is exactly the word for joe Elliot, he looks like my gran, without makeup 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I forget his name, but he is a vegan 

edit: Phil collen 

It's possibly a bit late but I am considering taking up Karate which according to Wiki is what Collen does.  My six pack is more of a Party Seven.

• Haha 2

I was a regular at The Bandwagon in Kingsbury which played a pretty big part in the NWOBHM movement with Neal Kay’s Heavy Metal Soundhouse. Saw Iron Maiden there among many others. When that place closed, Neal moved to The Headstone Hotel at Headstone Lane, and it was at a rock night there that I met Mrs Tut.

I too used to love Girl. We went to see them at The Marquee one night where they were supported by some upstarts from Aylesbury called Marillion. The proggers stole the night, bolstered mainly by Fish’s charisma and banter and the coach load of local fans they bought with them - I went on to follow them through their early days and you can briefly see the wife and I on the video EP filmed at Hammy Odeon.

I also loved Angelwitch. After watching them at The Marquee one night I briefly appeared in a news article that was filmed there about the perils of head banging and brain damage. The clip later reappeared, to my delight, on Dance Britannia - I’ll see if i can dig it out!!

Happy Daze!

• Like 3

I was at the bandwagon a few times . 
I remember neal Kay was kind of softly spoken  and was named catweazle 

He played an awful amount of tedious ( imho) AOR stuff , and we had to constantly badger him to play Budgie  . 

I still have the 1st metal for muthas lp. I had a fair few 7" singles, but ended giving them to animal charity shops ..except the soundhouse tapes which I sold for £385 a few years ago when times were extremely hard . 
You tube is handy for listening to stuff that you can't find anywhere .

Typing this is doing my head in at the moment due to the multiple adverts on planet woke radio,  I'm getting fed up with that station .There weren't many ( if any ) metal radio stations here in the uk .

Does anyone remember Alice's Restaurant ? 

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Saw that too! I was a fan of the first Montrose album so that was reason enough to go.

I remember Def Leppard being okay, but Sammy Hagar and his band put on a brilliant rock ‘n’ roll show. His voice was amazing. He also had a bassist who did a solo on a Precision Bass - being very impressionable I was very impressed!

I think Quartz were another Brummie band. They did a cover of Nantucket Sleighride, which I remember buying from a place in Brum called Reddington’s Rare Records - spent many a happy Saturday in there going through all the records! It was signed, due, I think, to them having a connection to the shop...

Good times...

Saw Sammy live two nights running(Lancaster and Manc)  in about ‘81, ‘82? He was so good the first time I immediately bought a ticket for the next night. 

His bass player was Bill Church - introduced as The Electric Church when he did his solo. One of my nicknames at the time was Bill, so with much hilarity on their part, my band at the time (who were and still remain my best friends, many years later), named me The Electric Bill. 😂

In fact, the drummer in that band also auditioned for Diamondhead, IIRC. And The Sweet at some point. He ended up in a punk band called The Blood. 

• Like 2