Why become a member? ×

Music IQ test

Lloyd80

109 Overall. I'd expected to do better at beat alignment as I've spent about 20 years DJing beatmatching with vinyl, seems it's easier to do that with a banging 4/4 than with a beatless orchestral waltz though! 

image.png.663ff60d821467606c1d5c75a6509650.png

Edited by SumOne

image.thumb.png.05e49f43d8125de68118ce11fe4c1c4a.png

124 - just a bit of fun.

I have to say that I actually disagreed with some of the examples on beat alignment, and on the tuning examples, most didn't have one performance which was perfectly in tune all the way so I wonder if there is a degree of subjectivity involved?

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.a21998582735460c0a766dcbcdf4acb4.png

Exactly what I thought and already knew. I'm just average with the beat, I still have problems with pianos that to me are all out of tune and I'm best at mistuning, but could improve. Need to play more fretless in the dark with complicated melodies and odd beat.

I've not done it yet, too late in the evening to start. However on reading the blurb is does say that the average is derived from those who take the test. Since this is a self-selecting group, who are more likely to be interested in music than the entire general population,  then an average score is probably still better than a true average of everyone. 

And that m'lud is how I will justify my low score on beat matching!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Richard R said:

And that m'lud is how I will justify my low score on beat matching!

Well...  sh*t!  I didn't actually expect to be that bad!

Mistuning perception is fair enough,  melody I know I hesitated and picked the wrong one at least twice when I should have gone with my first thought.

However I found it impossible to match the beat. There wasn't even one bar of the music to hear before the incredibly loud beeps came in and completely drowned out the reference music. I literally had to guess - but I thought my guessing was better than that.  Maybe because I put my age as 53 they assume my HF hearing is shot and upped the beep volume? Maybe if I had put my age as 16 the high pitched beeps would have been at a more sensible volume? Maybe I just should give up playing a rhythmic instrument?

Test1.png

test2.png

Don't worry @Richard R it's only a test with its flaws. I mean that if you do it again as you know how it is working I'm sure you'll score much higher.

For me, as others said, most of the singing was out of tune in itself; the melodic discrimination is a bit weird too as, for instance, if you're accustomed to Indian music, there was nothing really odd, but as it's related to European conception of music some oddities are obvious in our fixed musical system. For the beat, if you take classical music, the notion of beat is not as accurate as modern light music, but linked to the perception of time of the orchestra leader.

And, as they mention it, your score is linked to the participants average score and most of the participants are already into music, so it's totally biased.

Those IQ tests are absolutely not reliable, but can give you some hints to improve.

Keep on playing as I'm sure you're a really good bassist.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Keep on playing as I'm sure you're a really good bassist.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I still consider myself a beginner as I played about 4 times in church and then covid hit and work went through the roof. I potter and practice a bit, enjoy myself and slowly  get better. And I'm not worried about the test result,  more hilariously embarrassed 😉

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Close your eyes and feel the riddim 😁

I couldn't hear enough of de riddim at de start to tap me foot before de damn beeps started!

(With apologies for the dreadful attempt to sound like Sgt. Hooper from Death In Paradise and any accidental offence)

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Richard R said:

However I found it impossible to match the beat. There wasn't even one bar of the music to hear before the incredibly loud beeps came in and completely drowned out the reference music. I literally had to guess - but I thought my guessing was better than that.  Maybe because I put my age as 53 they assume my HF hearing is shot and upped the beep volume? Maybe if I had put my age as 16 the high pitched beeps would have been at a more sensible volume? Maybe I just should give up playing a rhythmic instrument?

Don't feel too bad about it. I also play drums and beat alignment was my worst too. When recording drums, I really struggle to focus on high-pitched beep click tracks. I need a lower register instrument to focus on and usually record a very rhythmic guitar track and use that as my click. I just don't naturally register listening to high pitched instruments and I felt this test had the same issues for me.

• Like 2

6155DC82-E7C1-4461-8EC5-9566844F04A4.thumb.png.3a7b0f69d683e72af1f0188e57e12f81.png

I’m absolutely bushed as my meds have kicked in but I reckon I did alright to get 124. Considering I’ve only got about 50% hearing left (I’ve got hearing aids but I never wear them) it’s not bad, although if I hadn’t worn headphones I’d have scored less than half of that.

The beat / beep placement was where I scored highest, probably only because my main instrument has always been percussion. I enjoyed doing the tests though, that probably helped a bit as well. I’ll have another go tomorrow when I’m not so tired 👍