Why become a member? ×

Boss SYB-5

MacDaddy

In my continuing quest for an 80's keyboard bass sound - as opposed to an 80's synth bass sound - I've just pulled the plug on the eBay for a Boss SYB-5.

When I'm able to go elsewhere to make a noise at louder than bedroom levels (post lockdown) I'll be comparing and contrasting with my Future Impact, and Digitech Bass Synth Wah. 

I like most of the setting in the vid below, but I'm particularly impressed with the settings for Take on Me 2:20 in. Listening with headphones makes a big difference :) 

• Like 1

Wow, that’s a great demo of the SYB-5 .  I used to have one, but sold it, as it was too temperamental for me.  I found you have to be really careful with each note, particularly muting, otherwise it glitches.  That video is probably the best demo I’ve heard, and even then you can hear a few notes glitching out. 
I’d say it’s a great pedal, but it needs a lot of work from the player to get the best out of it . 

I had one and could never get those kind of sounds out of it, it just seem far too extreme no matter what I did with it. I'm thinking that combining octave, envelope filter and fuzz, sometimes chorus or tremelo, on a good multi effect is the best way to get a use able synth tone. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I had one and could never get those kind of sounds out of it, it just seem far too extreme no matter what I did with it. I'm thinking that combining octave, envelope filter and fuzz, sometimes chorus or tremelo, on a good multi effect is the best way to get a use able synth tone. 

Sadly my experience too - that YT clip paints a very rosy picture of the SYB-5 which I found to be quite glitchy. I guess having been out since 2004 it was always going to struggle when going head to head with the superb tracking of its successor the Boss SY-1. 

Edited by Al Krow

5 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

I still really enjoy mine, but I find the best sounds using an expression pedal. 
Tbh I’ve never had any issue with tracking, warbling or such. 

A nicely balancing positive post! If you get chance to do a little recording using your expression pedal, be great to hear. 

On 15/02/2021 at 17:16, TheGreek said:

I bought one based on recommendation from @hen barn but could never find anything that was remotely usable (though I'm sure with a bit of patience there are lots of usable tones).

And I gave up with them. Now use EHX mono synth. But still not really what I’m looking for. We can land on Mars but we cannot make pedal that really sounds like an 80s synth bass. I have spoken directly to tc a few years back and they said you can’t do it???

Edited by hen barn
  • Like 1

On 19/02/2021 at 19:47, hen barn said:

And I gave up with them. Now use EHX mono synth. But still not really what I’m looking for. We can land on Mars but we cannot make pedal that really sounds like an 80s synth bass. I have spoken directly to tc a few years back and they said you can’t do it???

I'm resorting to a piece of kit which I suspect is going to be infinitely more capable of doing 80's FM synth and costs no more than a SYB-5.

MASSIVE draw back is it's going to be a struggle to play it with a bass using pitch to midi conversion. Shame. 

On 09/02/2021 at 17:10, MacDaddy said:

In my continuing quest for an 80's keyboard bass sound - as opposed to an 80's synth bass sound - I've just pulled the plug on the eBay for a Boss SYB-5.

Look for a VB-99, if you can find one. Or buy an 80s keyboard.

(Why is it so difficult to delete images or videos from an included reply??)

• 2 months later...

Finally managed to have a fiddle. Full disclosure, my basses are all set up with a very low action and have ramps, so my playing style involves a light touch. Brief verdict (IMHO YMMV etc):

Boss SYB-5:  Great sounds, mightily close to what I want, but far too glitchy.

Future Impact:  Amazing pedal, but to get the best out of it you have to buy more gear. Again glitchy.

Digitech Bass Synth Wah:  I don't want to say how great this pedal is, in case you all go out and buy one, 'coz I'm certainly going to buy another 😆!  Flawless tracking, useful sounds, not glitchy at all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Finally managed to have a fiddle. Full disclosure, my basses are all set up with a very low action and have ramps, so my playing style involves a light touch. Brief verdict (IMHO YMMV etc):

Boss SYB-5:  Great sounds, mightily close to what I want, but far too glitchy.

Future Impact:  Amazing pedal, but to get the best out of it you have to buy more gear. Again glitchy.

Digitech Bass Synth Wah:  I don't want to say how great this pedal is, in case you all go out and buy one, 'coz I'm certainly going to buy another 😆!  Flawless tracking, useful sounds, not glitchy at all.

That's awesome, glad you found something you wanted. Would be great to hear some sound samples and see your settings. I'm on a fruitless quest for 80s synth sounds (think "I wanna dance with somebody" Whitney Houston, or "Ain't nobody" chaka kahn) and getting nowhere. 

• 5 months later...

Update. I've purchased an EHX Mono Bass Synth pedal (in fact the one mentioned by Hen barn above).

Having had a fiddle at bedroom levels, there are a couple of sounds I really like. It has presets, which is incredibly useful, and although glitchy, not as glitchy as some pedals. Possibly my technique doesn't help, but the longer I played, the less glitchy it got.

On 21/10/2021 at 18:41, MacDaddy said:

Update. I've purchased an EHX Mono Bass Synth pedal (in fact the one mentioned by Hen barn above).

Having had a fiddle at bedroom levels, there are a couple of sounds I really like. It has presets, which is incredibly useful, and although glitchy, not as glitchy as some pedals. Possibly my technique doesn't help, but the longer I played, the less glitchy it got.

I had one. Some potentially great sounds but IME only if you're holding a note and not playing a fill. I found anything other than full notes made it glitch all over. And don't catch the edge of your fingernail on the string or the robot malfunction noises all come out. Would be great if EHX updated it to iron this out.