Why become a member? ×

JB with 51 PB Pickup?

shine182

Ok so my hunt for an American PB has draw a blank currently. Thought I'd investigate building my own bass. I like both JB's and PB's particulary the feel and look of a JB both neck and body but the sound of PB. Well that said the split coil of a PB just seems a tad restrained. Happened across some sound clips of a 51. Sounds like what I'm looking for so got onto the warmoth website. No option for a JB body with a 51 pickup cut? If I'm reading it correctly. Anyone done this or know of someone who has? Seems little info etc

The standard contemporary Fender body has this rather appalling route under the scratchplate. With this, you really just need a modified scratchplate as there is enough wood missing to comfortably drop a 51 pickup in there in the correct position. 

4CC36635-7D9E-4323-B1C5-9828CE1AA4CA.jpeg.83fb426602b00f99a862e65fe0efacb2.jpeg

https://www.muziker.ie/fender-jazz-bass-body-vintage-bridge-brown-sunburst?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu6a65uLe7gIVo-jtCh06nQ3JEAQYASABEgItufD_BwE

Truth be told, though, there's not a huge difference between the 51 single coil and the regular Jazz single coil pickup. Another option would be to get a Jazz sized 4-pole neck pickup made. There are enough custom pickup makers out there who could make a 4 pole 51 spec pickup which fits in to a standard Jazz sized cover.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Truth be told, though, there's not a huge difference between the 51 single coil and the regular Jazz single coil pickup.

Err... Yes there is. If you can't tell the difference you have poor hearing. The 51 for starters has masses more low end, a fuller and more rounded tone, not to mention punchier sound. 🙈

• Like 1

It’s for it to be stabilised during production - the next ones often have it and USA generally don’t.

The isn’t a drilled connection to the main cavity but you could match them up, drill a hole in the pickguard and add a switch if you desire, but it’s not in the best location ergonomically

36 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Err... Yes there is. If you can't tell the difference you have poor hearing. The 51 for starters has masses more low end, a fuller and more rounded tone, not to mention punchier sound. 🙈

Any time you want to take a blind test, just let me know 😉

48 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

What’s that hole near the bottom horn all about?

There are multuple trains of thought - that it's for CNC alignment, that it's for different painting jigs or that it's for easily identifying body models in a factory where several variations of the same model are made side-by-side. I'd go with CNC alignment, personally.

43 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Think it's incase you may want to add a switch there.

As above. Note the one in the neck pocket, not the best place for a switch.

I’d sit in the middle of you guys sparring over pick ups.

It is of course very pick up dependent-as an example, I’ve used Jazz Haüssel’s which you would be hard pushed to tell, and I also use a SD custom shop hot stack which is way far out from anything as well as weedier jazz pick ups.

6 hours ago, Doctor J said:

The standard contemporary Fender body has this rather appalling route under the scratchplate. With this, you really just need a modified scratchplate as there is enough wood missing to comfortably drop a 51 pickup in there in the correct position. 

4CC36635-7D9E-4323-B1C5-9828CE1AA4CA.jpeg.83fb426602b00f99a862e65fe0efacb2.jpeg

https://www.muziker.ie/fender-jazz-bass-body-vintage-bridge-brown-sunburst?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu6a65uLe7gIVo-jtCh06nQ3JEAQYASABEgItufD_BwE

Truth be told, though, there's not a huge difference between the 51 single coil and the regular Jazz single coil pickup. Another option would be to get a Jazz sized 4-pole neck pickup made. There are enough custom pickup makers out there who could make a 4 pole 51 spec pickup which fits in to a standard Jazz sized cover.

I didn't know that! Very interesting! 

On 11/02/2021 at 05:54, uk_lefty said:

Try Guitarandbassbuilds.com if you want a body made, I got a lefty PJ rear routed Ash body for a very good price, custom made. There was a bit of a wait for mine but yours may be easier, being the correct way up and all. 

How do you rate them quality wise? I'm really interested in getting a double P body and tired of shopping in the US!

19 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

How do you rate them quality wise? I'm really interested in getting a double P body and tired of shopping in the US!

It's the first time I've ever bought this kind of thing. I'm pretty happy with it, lovely piece of wood. I had to widen out the P pup rout but not the J. I've been told that my pups have big ears so it's not the bass builders fault. For £155 UK made I thought it was a better deal than more than double that for a Fender part or cast off. I don't know of Brandoni do additional routing but have heard they're good too and also UK based. Here's a photo of the one I have, not yet applied any kind of finish, ignore the masking tape... 

16131424502397887625943727278932.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

It's the first time I've ever bought this kind of thing. I'm pretty happy with it, lovely piece of wood. I had to widen out the P pup rout but not the J. I've been told that my pups have big ears so it's not the bass builders fault. For £155 UK made I thought it was a better deal than more than double that for a Fender part or cast off. I don't know of Brandoni do additional routing but have heard they're good too and also UK based. Here's a photo of the one I have, not yet applied any kind of finish, ignore the masking tape... 

16131424502397887625943727278932.jpg

Thanks - lovely grain! Did you try a neck in it yet? Snugness of neck pocket is a key metric for me!

6 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Thanks - lovely grain! Did you try a neck in it yet? Snugness of neck pocket is a key metric for me!

Yes, I bought a Fender spec neck from China (ebay seller is Jinwan) and the fit is nice and snug.

The only thing I didn't do with the body was think through the number of holes, I'm having to use stacked pots and drill out for a switch where really I could have done with having at least one more hole. There's a rear route with the wooden control cover too. It's really good value, IMO. 

• Like 2

@shine182

This might be of interest.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PBASS-PRECISION-BASS-GUITAR-BODY-FINISHED-IN-ANY-FENDER-COLOR-YOU-WANT/224311804781?hash=item343a06836d:g:TGgAAOSwnwpfae7z

The folks in Spain buy the body you want from guitarbuild.co.uk, give it a nitro finish of your choice then send it on to you.

Prices are fantastic.

• Like 1