Why become a member? ×

Cliff Burton Day today

TheGreek

5 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Given the veneration for Rust in Peace, I've been surprised by how inconsistent it is. I'm not expecting all 9 tracks to be at the level of Hangar 18, but there are at least two B-sides loitering in there. 

Just listened to the whole album again in the car been a while since i played the whole thing,  I disagree on that.  There is definetely one stinker on there "my creation" and I think it could be a joke, Megadeth had a tradition of a joke song or cover on each album.

The rest are very consistent in my view.  It almost surprised me listening back,  obviously holy wars and tornado of souls are high points, but the rest are only just further back. 

Listened to killing is my business again too for contrast.  Actually a lot more fun but also nastier (in a good way) than I remembered it. 

Edited by No. 8 Wire
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Just listened to the whole album again in the car been a while since i played the whole thing,  I disagree on that.  There is definetely one stinker on there "my creation" and I think it could be a joke, Megadeth had a tradition of a joke song or cover on each album.

Wikipedia told me that My Creation wasn't on the original, so I've been skipping that. If you're wondering which ones I'm on about, it's been tracks 3 and 4, Take No Prisoners and Five Magics, that have been disappointing me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Wikipedia told me that My Creation wasn't on the original, so I've been skipping that. If you're wondering which ones I'm on about, it's been tracks 3 and 4, Take No Prisoners and Five Magics, that have been disappointing me. 

I actually thought that i didn't remember that track very well.   Listening on streaming,  not the original tape...

I rate those two tracks you mention, but maybe less complex than most of the other tracks.

• Like 1

I listened to Peace Sells... and Rust in Peace yesterday, for the first time in years. Back in the mid 90s I preferred Megadeth to Metallica, but Dave's nasally vocals, and his pompous attitude, started to annoy me. 

Peace Sells is a great album from start to finish, but I do like Rust in Peace more, the B side of the album is some of the best Megadeth out there. 
My journey with Megadeth ended with Rust in Peace, the following album did nothing at all for me and live they became pretty dull.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2021 at 07:45, bartelby said:

I listened to Peace Sells... and Rust in Peace yesterday, for the first time in years. Back in the mid 90s I preferred Megadeth to Metallica, but Dave's nasally vocals, and his pompous attitude, started to annoy me. 

Peace Sells is a great album from start to finish, but I do like Rust in Peace more, the B side of the album is some of the best Megadeth out there. 
My journey with Megadeth ended with Rust in Peace, the following album did nothing at all for me and live they became pretty dull.

I think that you summed up  mustaine and megadeth pretty acurately .

I've always preferred metallica though. I only had peace sells for many years, but now have a fair bit of their back catalogue . I'd say peace sells and rust in peace are killer albums . 
The last 2 occasions I saw megadeth were at the Astoria , back in the 2000's 

The first time , they rocked . They had one of their classic line ups .

The last time , they were truly awful and dull . Probably because he had session musicians . A young " girl" starting a fight in the crowd didn't help in a packed venue by the bar..

• Like 2

In the Metallica vs Megadeth debate I've always thought that Megadeth have maintained a higher standard across their career than Metallica.

As a teenager I saw Metallica a couple of times with Cliff, and I saw Megadeth's first UK gig - thrash metal was new and exciting and it was everything you wanted when getting into music, something that is completely yours.  But for Metallica, much as I love them, I only really rate their first three albums, with a special mention for the $5.98 EP and the fourth album, but it's been pretty bland since then.  Though they have always been superb live

Megadeth's first two albums are utterly brilliant, right up there with Metallica's first three, tailed off a bit for the third, but there have been very, very good albums since then. And some average ones, but a higher hit rate than Metallica.  A bit mixed live - I've seen them mainly at festivals over the last couple of decades, and there have been some excellent performances, and some less than excellent ones

There's no doubt that Metallica have made a much bigger impact on the world at large, but for the thrash obsessed teenager in me, it feels like Megadeth have stuck to their guns.

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 1

Given how far we had strayed from the opening premise of this thread, I thought it would be best to stop posting on it, but I just noticed something which brings me back to the OP. As I've already droned on about quite enough, I've found that I vastly prefer Ride The Lightning to Master Of Puppets. But if I were to remove from RTL my two least favourite songs (tracks 5 and 6) and replace them with the only track on MOP that I have any real enthusiasm for (the title track) what would I have? Seven songs all of which name Cliff Burton in the writing credits. :D

On 18/03/2021 at 13:27, Monkey Steve said:

In the Metallica vs Megadeth debate I've always thought that Megadeth have maintained a higher standard across their career than Metallica.

As a teenager I saw Metallica a couple of times with Cliff, and I saw Megadeth's first UK gig - thrash metal was new and exciting and it was everything you wanted when getting into music, something that is completely yours.  But for Metallica, much as I love them, I only really rate their first three albums, with a special mention for the $5.98 EP and the fourth album, but it's been pretty bland since then.  Though they have always been superb live

Megadeth's first two albums are utterly brilliant, right up there with Metallica's first three, tailed off a bit for the third, but there have been very, very good albums since then. And some average ones, but a higher hit rate than Metallica.  A bit mixed live - I've seen them mainly at festivals over the last couple of decades, and there have been some excellent performances, and some less than excellent ones

There's no doubt that Metallica have made a much bigger impact on the world at large, but for the thrash obsessed teenager in me, it feels like Megadeth have stuck to their guns.

They both should've quit in the early 90's. Both have lost the fire and released some utter rubbish (albeit million-selling rubbish) in the last 30 years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2021 at 13:55, No. 8 Wire said:

You should do an overall ranking list of the 8 albums once you've finished. I'd supply my own but it would be heavily biased by growing up with a couple of these. 

For instance,  I'd rate AJFA pretty highly as an album even though there is no bass.  I think it was my only metallica album for many years when such things were expensive to buy and hard to find for a poor kiwi.  So I have a soft spot for it.   Same with So Far, So Good, So What, although with the latter, I think it still rates high on its own merit too.

I'm still listening to most of these albums repeatedly. So Far So Good is holding up well in the competition, definitely underrated - tho I can't help wondering what it would be like if Gar and Chris Poland had been playing on it. ...And Justice For All is still seeming like the out and out masterpiece of the 8 albums, despite being so stylistically extreme. Its singular tonal landscape suits the music. 

The other three Megadeths I can't choose between, now that I've reprogrammed the running order of Rust in Peace (amongst various changes, it now ends with "Hangar 18") Chris Poland's playing on Peace Sells is other-worldly and Killing Is my Business couldn't be better calculated to make me happy: fast, messy and cheerfully belligerent. Ride The Lightning I don't love as much as all the Megadeth, but it's still getting listened to just as much, because it's just so right

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Play it at ×1.5 and sounds suspiciously like a normal conversation 

Ah yes... 1.25 or 1.5 sounds very normal. Even the bottle top rattling sounds better...

Edited by bartelby
  • Haha 1