Why become a member? ×

Cliff Burton Day today

TheGreek

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Nice taste in music, Cliff ;)

Cliff cited The Misfits as a prominent influence, but I don't recall him mentioning SoM.

I am reminded that I should learn some Craig Adams arrangements, that old Some Girls Wander disc has some gems on it!

What was the 2nd song?, it's showing unavailable.

It's not a big leap however, to think Cliff could have been listening to SoM along with the Misfits. The group of Goths I knew in L.A. enjoyed the Misfits.

Hell, The Misfits notoriously made friends with Vampira:

maxresdefault.jpga9d998eeb59a61f9511040e15b8001a7.jpg

I had the Devilock hair style when I lived in L.A..

7 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

be entertained by reading someone being extremely rude about it, I recommend this recent review

I started off being entertained by that but then it truly sucked the life out of me and I started losing the will to live!

Sounded a little bitter and twisted to me and based on what they became rather than what they were then.  Made a good point about all the remakes of Beyond the Realms of Death, of which Metallica have at least 3.

With reviews like that though,  it's a wonder anyone ever picks up an instrument and dares to have a go.

I think what gets missed in these things about who is the greatest etc, is creativity and energy.  It's not just virtuosity and sometimes not even that.  Cliff had that in spades.

Happy Cliff 'em All Day!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

With reviews like that though,  it's a wonder anyone ever picks up an instrument and dares to have a go.

Not just from 'reviewers', but even from our peers sometimes.

I used to read scathing comments from other bass players about having to put up with people just like me, with the same sort of limitations.

Years ago I started a 'I'm NEVER going to be in a band!' thread specifically because of the stories I read in the band management & gig reports pages.

Of course I was assaulted by all & sundry commenting that Music is all about being in a band & sharing the performance & that bass is NOT a solo instrument.

Five years on I'm still playing at home alone with no aspirations to join a band, but looking back I sometimes wish I had put it down then & just quit.

It still crosses my mind on a weekly basis, but I've invested so much time & energy into this hobby.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Five years on I'm still playing at home alone with no aspirations to join a band, but looking back I sometimes wish I had put it down then & just quit.

I stopped playing for a while after my last band.  Picked it up again about 5 years ago and have been solo bedroom player except for the odd jam/party/campfire.  It's probably natural to come and go from it a bit. 

I used to think it was all about getting ready to play in bands but now I get more enjoyment for it's own sake and there's always the faint possibly the right group of people will magically come together to play again.  If you enjoy it, stick with it.  I'm sure 99% of players are bedroom only anyway. 

• Thanks 1

I've never played in my bedroom. Do that many folks actually play in their bedroom?, for it to become the phrase?

I'm too tone-deaf to be in a band & just this past weekend I was not motivated to play. I had the whole weekend to myself & played exactly two songs, LOL!

I guess I should really commit to learning Anesthesia.

It would sound fantastic on my little hybrid NuTube amp.

1 minute ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I've never played in my bedroom. Do that many folks actually play in their bedroom?, for it to become the phrase?

I'm too tone-deaf to be in a band & just this past weekend I was not motivated to play. I had the whole weekend to myself & played exactly two songs, LOL!

I don't actually play in my bedroom either..  well not often.  Just a phrase.

I play in my bedroom every day. Nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. 

I suspect the phrase is supposed to indicate a teenager living with his parents. 

Language is so often used to subtley undermine and denigrate others. 

• Like 3

I'm sure that's where the phrase comes from.  I play in my bedroom if I need to escape the kids,  so it's the reverse of that!  I use it to mean a player who doesn't play live (ie me), it probably started out as being derogatory, but I'm reclaiming it!  Even Cliff was a bedroom bassist once! 

2 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

As long as you enjoy what you're doing, that's what matters . 
From being very ltd in ability, I had desire to play in a band and eventually live. I come from a big family , and there was no way I could really practice properly until I was in my early 20's .  Looking after nieces and nephews also , it was heavy going . 
I managed to be good friends with a couple of musicians at work , and the guitarist is one of my closest friends to this day, even though he lives miles away . He showed me a lot . 
He used to do birthday gigs , and he and a few friends managed to help me play my 1st gig ( my 30th birthday ) in front of 200 people in a pub we hired out. ( well the upstairs ) . It showed I could actually play and hold my own.

I improved. Stopped for a few years . I was in a few bands , and after being rusty got into it , but although I always made sure I looked as though it's enjoying myself, playing to one man and his deaf dog 🐕 plus Dodgy pub landlords put me off for good . 

I bought a moog synth a couple of years ago, and am only now getting to grips with it . I record short bits on soundcloud for practice and to improve in my new angle of enjoying playing my gear . No band members causing friction or missing rehearsals etc . 

In other words, if I can do it ..so can you ! If you're not in the mood ..so what !😼

• Thanks 1

I'm finding it entertaining to understand the lyrics on Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets as coming from James Hetfield's subconscious, crying out to be freed from its state of perpetual slavery to Lars Ulrich:

Guilty as charged / But damn it, it ain't right / There is someone else controlling me

I have lost the will to live / Simply nothing more to give / There is nothing more for me / Need to end to set me free

No one but me can save me but it's too late / Now I can't think, think why I should even try

I've been stricken by fate / Wrapped up tight, cannot move, can't break free / Hand of doom has a tight grip on me

Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings / Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams 

Master, master, you promised only lies, all I hear or see is laughter, laughing at my cries

Sanitarium, leave me be / Just leave me alone

Back to the front / You will do what I say, when I say / You coward / You servant 

Had no chance to see myself, moulded day by day

• Haha 2

On 01/03/2021 at 17:03, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I can do it ..so can you !

I can, I'm able, but my question to myself, too often, is "Do I WANT to?"

Cliff related:

Spent an hour trying to re-learn Anesthesia this evening & wow do I have a long way to go, shame that I let myself get this rusty.

I used to know enough to sound cool, but that's all gone now, which is how it happens for me if I don't play it daily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm now onto Peace Sells....what an album! It's taking me a while just to get my head around it all (very definitely not a complaint)

Yeah,  that's an awesome one.  So far so good so what was my favourite when I was young,  but now if I'm honest with myself Rust in Peace is.

I want to hear Marty Friedman playing Into the Lungs of Hell off so far... but I can't find any recording where he's done it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last month or so I've been listening to the first 4 Metallica albums and the first 4 Megadeth albums in chronological order, listening to each one repeatedly until I felt I was just about on top of it, and only then moving on to the next. I've loved it all.

I was keeping tallies and apparently each album got an average of 7 listens. Since this music really winds me up, I've been feeling a bit nuts the whole month - but as living on my own in lockdown was driving me round the twist anyway, I figured why not making the most of it? :D

I've just had a couple of days break, and tomorrow will listen to all 8 albums back to back. Roughly it'll take me from 11am to 5pm. I'm going to go in this order:

Starting with the two I like,  but which suffer in comparison with the rest - (1) Kill 'Em All (2) So Far So Good... 

then the two that are most venerated - (3) Master of Puppets (4) Rust in Peace 

then the two I rate most highly - (5) ...And Justice For All (6) Peace Sells...

and finishing with the two I most enjoy listening to - (7) Ride The Lightning (8) Killing Is My Business...

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

After the excitement of So Far So Good..., Master Of Puppets soon had me looking up the dictionary definition of "portentous"... ...done in an overly solemn manner so as to impress... Hmm.

You should do an overall ranking list of the 8 albums once you've finished. I'd supply my own but it would be heavily biased by growing up with a couple of these. 

For instance,  I'd rate AJFA pretty highly as an album even though there is no bass.  I think it was my only metallica album for many years when such things were expensive to buy and hard to find for a poor kiwi.  So I have a soft spot for it.   Same with So Far, So Good, So What, although with the latter, I think it still rates high on its own merit too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, No. 8 Wire said:

You should do an overall ranking list of the 8 albums once you've finished.

The problem would be that sometimes I like things more even when I know they're not as good. And when I'm not very interested in something I amuse myself by finding reasons for shoving the boot in. So my ranking list would be a bit of a joke.

I think ....And Justice just a massive achievement, it does what it's trying to do so successfully. I could probably write a great deal of speculative bs about that album, but that too you could all live without quite happily. 

Given the veneration for Rust in Peace, I've been surprised by how inconsistent it is. I'm not expecting all 9 tracks to be at the level of Hangar 18, but there are at least two B-sides loitering in there. 

Since I went in chronological order, it's been a while since I last listened to Ride The Lightning and I'm SO excited that that's coming up at about 4 o'clock. I listened to it 15 times in a row and only moved on because I had to eventually.

ps Listened to directly after AJFA, Peace Sells seems delightfully unhinged 🤪 

pps the return to Ride The Lightning was everything I hoped for and more. What an album. I'm now on the 8th and final album, Killing Is My Business, and it's making me so happy, such crazy music. I had read that the original release had terrible production and that the 2018 remix and remaster was a fantastic salvage job. So whilst I bought an old copy of Master of Puppets for two and six on ebay, I shelled out proper money for the remixed KIMB, and I'm extremely glad I did, it sounds really good.

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1