Why become a member? ×

Cliff Burton Day today

TheGreek

I'd rather have no music than be subjected to music everywhere I go, be it in pubs, shops, etc. and I would say "being assaulted by it" is fair enough. I was in the office this week for the first time in months and in the canteen they're now pumping in some brain-melting radio station. Being forced to hear to music agitates me, even moreso when it's killing the potential of a conversation with someone.

Silence is ok too. We shouldn't be trying to eradicate it.

Anyway, back on topic, Cliff made a bigger impact in three and a half years than most ever do in their lives. A great man and a great player.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 21:44, Rich said:

This will probably get me tarred, feathered and drummed out of the Brownies...

...but...

...I've heard a fair bit of Cliff Burton's playing, but nothing that has ever stood out to me as particularly special. It's all a bit "yeah, so what?".

My flameproof pants await.

I didn't even know who Cliff Burton is 🙂

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

How about people with autism or misophonia? They generally don't connect with music because their brains are wired differently. My dad had aspergers, my good lady's youngest child has it and a friend of our's daughter has misophonia. None of them have/had interest in music of any sort.

whereas I know people with autism for who music is their connection to the world, and non-verbal people on the spectrum who can have sophisticated dialogues through music :) 

I remember listening to that Bass solo on the Kill Em All album when I was about 13/14 and just being in awe.

Cue me nicking my brothers Digitech Death Metal pedal and Vox wah (which used to pick up radio waves 😂)

I think Orion is Cliff Burton’s towering achievement.

I absolutely adored Jason Newsted too. 

After Garage Inc and S&M I was done with them - Maybe “I disappear” from Mission:Impossible OST was the end.

• Like 1

It's funny really about metallica . I have all of their stuff.  I think with therm , when they were the underdogs they were at their best . They still have occasional tracks that still kick . I thought death magnetic was a return to form along with the 12" with hate train on it . Then they churned out another s&m ..and lulu 🤮.  Hard wired is patchy imho and I'm bored of them now .
I bought the ride the lightning deluxe box set , but sold it because their attitude is too much like kiss these days imho. 
I offloaded the live binge and purge ,as we all know that is going to be reissued . I'll just stick to downloads with them from now on . 
I saw them at the o2 a few times . The pre death magnetic gig for a fiver was brilliant . The  lhardwired gig at the o2 was the last time I saw them , and tbh I'm bored of the cash 🐄

Ive seen them many times  ,and wore the various t shirts . The first time I saw them was at the Lyceum , but I have that on download and don't need all the filler . 
I think Jason was awesome also , and he sung whole songs in place of Hatfield at times . 

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

after Cliff, it's all just average, generic commercial metal

I bought in the same 12 months Def Leppard Hysteria, WASP Live In The Raw, Motley Crue Girls Girls Girls, ACDC Blow Up Your Video, Guns n Roses Appetite For Destruction and then, just after them, ....And Justice For All. It did not seem like "average generic metal", not one bit, and it made Iron Maiden's Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, which came out a few months later, seem pretty feeble stuff.

(Given that I had all the previous 7 Maiden albums, could recite their complete track listings, including songwriters, and could draw the Maiden logo from memory, you can imagine how hard that realisation hit me 😭😂)

I now shake my head at the Motley Crue and WASP albums, but ....Justice still gets me terribly overwrought.

• Like 2

Interesting about the 7th son album. Maiden were obviously great at donington ( and cologne the following Sunday ) . I had that album , but with tracks like can I play with madness , I had to get rid 

I don't recall them singing baggy trousers , but Bruce did start wearing flares onstage . 
Yes, justice is a very good album. Tracks such as one , harvester, shortest straw and blackened are classic Metallica imho. The garage days ep is great imho , but they have milked the covers a bit too much imho. Having whiskey in the jar on the live set list should have been dropped by now imho. Watered down rubbish imho

Apologies for the many imho😼

• Like 1

I think Cliff's most important contributions to Metallica were the hardest to pick out. Anaesthesia is impressive (for the time and genre) but the real jaw dropper is when you look at the leaps forward they made between Kill em all and RtL and then again with MoP.

He had a solid grounding in music theory (which the other guys always admitted to a lack in) which really allowed the group to spread out, compositionally. And according to interviews he had veto against the Ulrich/Hetfield train which you can really feel the lack of as the band's career continued after his demise.

This isn't to detract from his capability as an instrumentalist at all but for me he will always be the guy the dragged Metallica from garage to stadium. Would have been fascinating to see what the next 5 albums would have been like with him still aboard! I imagine the trajectory would have been the same but probably with far fewer duff tracks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dapper Bandit said:

I think Cliff's most important contributions to Metallica were the hardest to pick out. Anaesthesia is impressive (for the time and genre) but the real jaw dropper is when you look at the leaps forward they made between Kill em all and RtL and then again with MoP.

He had a solid grounding in music theory (which the other guys always admitted to a lack in) which really allowed the group to spread out, compositionally. And according to interviews he had veto against the Ulrich/Hetfield train which you can really feel the lack of as the band's career continued after his demise.

This isn't to detract from his capability as an instrumentalist at all but for me he will always be the guy the dragged Metallica from garage to stadium. Would have been fascinating to see what the next 5 albums would have been like with him still aboard! I imagine the trajectory would have been the same but probably with far fewer duff tracks.

With Cliff still around there’d be no Lars. They were considering giving Lars the boot after the tour. But after Cliff’s death James and Kirk decided to not lose 50% of the band. 
I think the trajectory would have been slightly slower with Cliff about, he wouldn’t have let the band have the Dad Rock phase of Load and Reload.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bartelby said:

With Cliff still around there’d be no Lars. They were considering giving Lars the boot after the tour. But after Cliff’s death James and Kirk decided to not lose 50% of the band. 
I think the trajectory would have been slightly slower with Cliff about, he wouldn’t have let the band have the Dad Rock phase of Load and Reload.

if anything I think it would have happened sooner. he was a big lover of southern rock etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bartelby said:

They should have booted Lars. He's a competent enough drummer but certainly not one of the greats and I think he holds the band back. Replacing him with Micky Dee or Dave Lombardo or even Dave Grohl would bring so much more to the band. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

They should have booted Lars. He's a competent enough drummer but certainly not one of the greats and I think he holds the band back. Replacing him with Micky Dee or Dave Lombardo or even Dave Grohl would bring so much more to the band. 

Metallica were about to part ways with Lars when they lost Cliff. They didn’t want to lose half of the band at the same time, makes it a double tragedy. ☹️

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 13:21, Drax said:

Stumbled on this the other day - pretty cool, ‘Cliff’ taking the lead line on the intro. Love how much time people have to make these things.. 

The corner of my brain which is taking this lockdown especially badly decided to confuse the contents of this State Of Mercury YouTube channel with what got posted on the Covers of Jolene thread, and I've now got Enter Sandman as covered by Norah Jones going round my head 🥵

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a kid ...And Justice For All was the only Metallica album I knew, and shortly afterwards my attention went towards standard Indie stuff, as befitted a polite mumbling young Englishman growing his hair over his eyes.

Much later I got Kill Em All, and recently Ride The Lightning - deliberately saving up Master Of Puppets as a treat once I had thoroughly immersed myself in the other three albums (and Killing Is My Business

I've been listening to Master Of Puppets on repeat for the last 24 hours, and am ....underwhelmed. I can see the quality, I can certainly understand the massive popularity, but it's pretty breezy listening. The Black Album now seems not so much a surprising development as an inevitable one. I'm glad that circumstances drove Hetfield and Ulrich to come up with ....Justice to interrupt that progression, and extremely glad that that album happened to be the one that wandered into my attention when I was a kid.

Since the album is so beloved, I shan't bother being rude about it any further than that, but it you would be entertained by reading someone being extremely rude about it, I recommend this recent review

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

When I was a kid ...And Justice For All was the only Metallica album I knew, and shortly afterwards my attention went towards standard Indie stuff, as befitted a polite mumbling young Englishman growing his hair over his eyes.

Much later I got Kill Em All, and recently Ride The Lightning - deliberately saving up Master Of Puppets as a treat once I had thoroughly immersed myself in the other three albums (and Killing Is My Business

I've been listening to Master Of Puppets on repeat for the last 24 hours, and am ....underwhelmed. I can see the quality, I can certainly understand the massive popularity, but it's pretty breezy listening. The Black Album now seems not so much a surprising development as an inevitable one. I'm glad that circumstances drove Hetfield and Ulrich to come up with ....Justice to interrupt that progression, and extremely glad that that album happened to be the one that wandered into my attention when I was a kid.

Since the album is so beloved, I shan't bother being rude about it any further than that, but it you would be entertained by reading someone being extremely rude about it, I recommend this recent review

You're not being rude . Just your own findings which has to be respected 😼

A lot of headbangers I knew at the time , didn't actually like metallica . To me, they came out at the right time , as the nwobhm movement was dead, and there was a lot of watered down stuff around at the time . 
I saw ride the lightning in virgin , on the new release rack and took a gamble .I heard bits of them on the Friday rock show, when I came home drunk and never liked what I heard . That was stuff from kill em all 😺. I managed to see them at the Lyceum on the lightning tour when they were spotty underdogs 
Love most of their stuff , and have everything but am bored with them now.

I'm still torn between puppets and lightning as to what is their best album.

I'll leave it there..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

torn between puppets and lightning as to what is their best

Lightning makes me feel nicely overwrought, I really enjoyed my week of having that on repeat. In a few days time, I'll move onto Peace Sells... and So Far So Good...., but first I'll give Puppets a fair crack of the whip. I'm not *annoyed* to be reminded of The Cure's Seventeen Seconds, just really surprised.

Now I know all the first four albums, I can see that the influence of early Queen, especially Queen II, grows steadily over the course of them.

Edited by Ricky Rioli
ps

12 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Lightning makes me feel nicely overwrought, I really enjoyed my week of having that on repeat. In a few days time, I'll move onto Peace Sells... and So Far So Good...., but first I'll give Puppets a fair crack of the whip. I'm not *annoyed* to be reminded of The Cure's Seventeen Seconds, just really surprised.

Now I know all the first four albums, I can see that the influence of early Queen, especially Queen II, grows steadily over the course of them.

17 seconds is a great album 😼👍 Totally different from what I normally listen to. I'm not sure if there are any cure albums as good . I find them patchy , imho.

Peace sells is my fave megadeth album , but I think that Dave mustaine sounds too much like Richard dastardly and his voice is the weakest link imho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

17 seconds is a great album 😼👍 Totally different from what I normally listen to. I'm not sure if there are any cure albums as good . I find them patchy , imho.

Peace sells is my fave megadeth album , but I think that Dave mustaine sounds too much like Richard dastardly and his voice is the weakest link imho

IMO Faith is the best Cure album. Possibly their darkest and gloomiest but that's a positive thing 😁, before they started making chirpy pop ditties like Love Cats. The lead off single from Faith is Primary, which has a bit of a great bassline