Why become a member? ×

Can Darkglass do non-metal sounds???

bassist_lewis

31 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

It’s a problem with demos-they go from no gain to high gain and super high gain and you have to pick your way and work out the middle ground which is fine, but not ideal for everyone.

imho these are the people to listen to

Good quick demo - Steve Cook premier guitar

In depth with chat @Dood guitar interactive or Nathan Navarro 

in depth no chat- mr excane

Thank you SO much for the tag :) Much appreciated! For comparisons above @bassist_lewis I've also reviewed the Tech 21 Dug Pinnick and Steve Harris pedals. For adding in a tiny bit of grit but not faffing with loads of EQ, I really like the EBS Billy Sheehan Signature Drive. The "Ultimate" being the latest version, but I have the "Deluxe" on my own board. It's nice for adding in just a hair of grit without touching the bottom end which is blended with a separate volume knob. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@Dood can you do a 3rd one on the DP3X-enjoyed the first 2

Ahh, you mean the stand-alone review and also the tech session with the Tech 21 combo?

Sadly I had to give the DP3X back. I'm actually hoping the SH is still at the studio because I want to play with THAT one again too!

1 minute ago, Dood said:

Thank you SO much for the tag :) Much appreciated! For comparisons above @bassist_lewis I've also reviewed the Tech 21 Dug Pinnick and Steve Harris pedals. For adding in a tiny bit of grit but not faffing with loads of EQ, I really like the EBS Billy Sheehan Signature Drive. The "Ultimate" being the latest version, but I have the "Deluxe" on my own board. It's nice for adding in just a hair of grit without touching the bottom end which is blended with a separate volume knob. 

ANOTHER one to check out! 😍 I think that's what I'm going for, a barely there kind of overdrive.

Just now, bassist_lewis said:

ANOTHER one to check out! 😍 I think that's what I'm going for, a barely there kind of overdrive.

The Orange Bass Butler is capable of some searing distortion but it is also another pedal that can be wound back to "vintage valve amp" territory. Its a physically much larger pedal, but it sounds super nice. GR Bass is another brand to look at. They have a Pure Drive pedal with some helpful EQ on board. Finally, EBS again, their MicroBass 3 has two channels that can be blended together both with their own EQs. Channel one features an entire gain section where Channel two is capable of some super clean, high headroom fatness. Blend to taste, very nice!

• Thanks 2

EBS is very good  - a good chap with a great ear i know has one and it is right there for that mild overdrive sound.

@Dood lemme know if you ever need one, i have a spare!

used to live in Naaaaaaaaaaaarich, if i am ever passing i can drop off for giggles.

This thread is opening a can of quality worms for you!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Clearly the only answer is to buy all the pedals and try them.

Then buy a bigger pedal board because they are all too good to send back.

Tell the significant other that there has been a committee decision and you can't do anything about it. Rulz is Rulz.

You make some good points

• Like 1

@bassist_lewis most of the Tech21 stuff will do a good job of recreating that Motown sound effectively. Aside from that the Dave Hall stuff has an actual valve in it and is really effective. I played in a funk / soul band that toured for a decade so I've been down this path!

Ultimately I've ended up with a Noble but the Tech21 BSDR and the Aguilar Tone Hammer do a brilliant job at a much lower price (and good size too). You'll pick either of those two up fairly easily and cheaply second hand. 

Here's a recording - P bass / flats and Tech 21 DI. Not a bad sound I'd say : ) 

Edited by dodge_bass
Included video
  • Like 5

Your Beta is a fine choice for a good soul/Motown sound. I have a MkII that will be staying on my board for the foreseeable!

The best pedals I’ve found for Motown are the TC Mojomojo and Aguilar Tonehammer. They nail that sound where the notes sound like twanging a rubber band, if that makes any sense.

Tech21 stuff I love for more brighter aggressive tones, the VTDI and SH1 will do a decent Motown as well, so super versatile, but not as well as the aforementioned pedals in my opinion.

Darkglass stuff is quite different sounding, none of that squishy tubey character, but keeps your original dynamics and adds a layer of ‘hair’, is the best way I can describe it! The Vintage series would be the one to go for, whereas the B*K pedals are mid scooped right in the place where a P bass with flats grunts the loudest.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jonse said:

I know this thread is mainly about pedals but what bass is being used? P Bass with flats or I dunno... Dingwall with coated steel rounds? 

A set of strings is probably cheaper and more effective than a new pedal.  

I have a Fender JMJ Mustang with flats that gets 90% of the way there, and would certainly be good enough for playing live. However, when I do functions I tend to use my Callowhill, which has steels roundwounds on it, as I can get all the tones I need.

• Like 1

Re Darkglass, not sure about the pedals but the bassist of The Cockney Rejects uses one of their amps and doesn’t get the typical metal tone at all, more like a regular bass amp sound so I’d assume the same can be achieved with the pedals.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

@bassist_lewis most of the Tech21 stuff will do a good job of recreating that Motown sound effectively. Aside from that the Dave Hall stuff has an actual valve in it and is really effective. I played in a funk / soul band that toured for a decade so I've been down this path!

Ultimately I've ended up with a Noble but the Tech21 BSDR and the Aguilar Tone Hammer do a brilliant job at a much lower price (and good size too). You'll pick either of those two up fairly easily and cheaply second hand. 

Here's a recording - P bass / flats and Tech 21 DI. Not a bad sound I'd say : ) 

That was fantastic! Right up my street that is!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Darkglass X7 set with a light drive on the upper frequencies & the low end clear. It's my main "always on" sound. It's a great sound for general rock/punk.

For heavier stuff I add a layer of Darkglass Alpha-Omega.

2 hours ago, daz70 said:

I use a Darkglass X7 set with a light drive on the upper frequencies & the low end clear. It's my main "always on" sound. It's a great sound for general rock/punk.

For heavier stuff I add a layer of Darkglass Alpha-Omega.

How do you have the LPF and HPF set?  LPF fully clockwise I assume?

• 6 months later...
On 09/02/2021 at 16:32, Cuzzie said:

@Dood can you do a 3rd one on the DP3X-enjoyed the first 2

I've already recorded reviews for the DP3X! :) It's super nice! - Both on it's own and as a tech column about amplifiers. I'll see if I can find the links. Oh and before you sk, yes I have done the Tech 21 Steve Harris pedal too which is more than capable of bringing the distortion too!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dood said:

I've already recorded reviews for the DP3X! :) It's super nice! - Both on it's own and as a tech column about amplifiers. I'll see if I can find the links. Oh and before you sk, yes I have done the Tech 21 Steve Harris pedal too which is more than capable of bringing the distortion too!

https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/review/tech-21-dp-3x-dug-pinnick-signature-pedal/

https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/review/tech-21-steve-harris-sh1-signature-sansamp/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dood said:

Great review on the SH1 Dan, what are your impressions of the Rotosound Ultra Mags, they sound great on the clip.

44 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Great review on the SH1 Dan, what are your impressions of the Rotosound Ultra Mags, they sound great on the clip.

The Ultramags are really nice! On the bass in question they have a higher tension and there's definitely a mid bump in the tone which suits this ash bodied P Bass. The very top end is a little subdued and they can't do what D'Addario Pro Steels can in comparison. Bottom end is solid, they last well too - verses my experiences of Swing Bass strings in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/02/2021 at 11:01, Jonse said:

I've sort of done this but I tried using a Darkglass Vintage Ultra and I couldn't really get it to work. I play in a rock band but at home I enjoy playing along to the likes of Al Green and Motown. Ultimately, I found the Darkglass a bit clinical but with a fizzy top end (if that makes sense.)

I ended up going for a Tech 21 vtdi and feel this covers all my needs right now. I use a P with flats and this really adds some beef. A lot of the time I practice at home with headphones and having this before the interface is a godsend. 

I found a similar sort of thing with the Vintage Microtubes (non-ultra), I assumed it was vintage as in 60s Motown and Blues kind of thump that you can add a bit of light overdriven tubey breakup to but I got the impression that it's 'vintage' in terms of metal, or perhaps in terms of vintage punk/garage rock sort of stuff - too clanky for me. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...