Why become a member? ×

Can Darkglass do non-metal sounds???

bassist_lewis

I've been considering what sounds I'll need for the functions when I'm back gigging and I decided some sort of pre-amp would be good for getting the Ampeg B15 sound for those old soul records, especially as I'm lucky enough to play in a soul band. I have a SolidGoldFX Beta which does a pretty good job but I've been hunting around and looked at the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes Deluxe. I'm well aware of Darkglass and what they do but they've always been sold as METAL overdrives. Every demo has someone playing a sick crushing riff about arguing with their mum, so I had written them off as not really my thing (don't get me wrong I LOVE metal, I just don't play it). But looking at the extensive tone shaping options on the Microtubes, it seems possible it could be more versatile than the demos make out.

Has anyone used a Darkglass pedal to make more subtle, possibly even vintage-inspired sounds?

I've sort of done this but I tried using a Darkglass Vintage Ultra and I couldn't really get it to work. I play in a rock band but at home I enjoy playing along to the likes of Al Green and Motown. Ultimately, I found the Darkglass a bit clinical but with a fizzy top end (if that makes sense.)

I ended up going for a Tech 21 vtdi and feel this covers all my needs right now. I use a P with flats and this really adds some beef. A lot of the time I practice at home with headphones and having this before the interface is a godsend. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

I've been considering what sounds I'll need for the functions when I'm back gigging and I decided some sort of pre-amp would be good for getting the Ampeg B15 sound for those old soul records, especially as I'm lucky enough to play in a soul band. I have a SolidGoldFX Beta which does a pretty good job but I've been hunting around and looked at the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes Deluxe. I'm well aware of Darkglass and what they do but they've always been sold as METAL overdrives. Every demo has someone playing a sick crushing riff about arguing with their mum, so I had written them off as not really my thing (don't get me wrong I LOVE metal, I just don't play it). But looking at the extensive tone shaping options on the Microtubes, it seems possible it could be more versatile than the demos make out.

Has anyone used a Darkglass pedal to make more subtle, possibly even vintage-inspired sounds?

Yes you absolutely can, and you can stack it with whatever you want

Harmonic booster is another non ‘metal’

I use my B3K for trad sounds. I set the drive low and it just adds some harmonic content and thickness.

Sounds brilliant for Stevie Wonder stuff. Just enough grit to cut through when playing hard, and a lovely rounded tone when played gently.

I actually prefer the B3K for that than the Vintage models.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

hmm interesting... I'll check out the Harmonic Booster. Is that Lehle?

The Lehle one is also absolutely fantastic, great great pedal.

What my good chap @fretmeister pointed you too is great, and as ever i will nod my hat to their Tech21 DP3X pedal - it really also can do it all and is built to fit with other instruments in a band - some reports say that you cant have a good sound the clean or mix engaged without twiddling dials - that is bunkum you absolutely can.

If you want a big array of sounds the Tech21 PSA 2.0 is also phenomenal.

But back to your original question about Darkglass - yes it can and IMHO their best and most versatile pre-amp pedal before the ADAM is the AO - i would probably pick that above all others. 

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'd have a look at the Tech 21 Steve Harris pedal though. It's amazingly versatile.

Demo of all the suggested settings:

The Motown setting really is that good in real life.

Clearly very versatile! The size would be a problem though, I've got a Moogerfooger and a bunch of other pedals on my board that aren't going anywhere

52 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I use my B3K for trad sounds. I set the drive low and it just adds some harmonic content and thickness.

Sounds brilliant for Stevie Wonder stuff. Just enough grit to cut through when playing hard, and a lovely rounded tone when played gently.

I actually prefer the B3K for that than the Vintage models.

I do the same. I use it as a Tech 21 Bass Driver substitute. I actually had a Bass Driver but actually preferred the B3K as I thought it cut through the mix a bit more. 

I've always thought of the Darkglass to be very "Metal" sounding so I've always avoided it. I'm sure if I tried it,I would like it.nigh on every Demo of the pedal seems to have the same harsh/grainy extreme top end distortion sound.

For me the Tech21 VTbass (any version) on the B15 settng does the Motown sound perfectly and a lot cheaper than Darkglass 😁

Edited by lee650
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I've always thought of the Darkglass to be very "Metal" sounding so I've always avoided it. I'm sure if I tried it,I would like it,high on Demos every pedal seems to have the same harsh/grainy extreme top end distortion sound.

For me the Tech21 VTbass (any version) on the B15 settng does the Motown sound perfectly and a lot cheaper than Darkglass 😁

It’s a problem with demos-they go from no gain to high gain and super high gain and you have to pick your way and work out the middle ground which is fine, but not ideal for everyone.

imho these are the people to listen to

Good quick demo - Steve Cook premier guitar

In depth with chat @Dood guitar interactive or Nathan Navarro 

in depth no chat- mr excane

19 minutes ago, lee650 said:

I've always thought of the Darkglass to be very "Metal" sounding so I've always avoided it. I'm sure if I tried it,I would like it,high on Demos every pedal seems to have the same harsh/grainy extreme top end distortion sound.

Watch the video I just posted ;)

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

hmm interesting... I'll check out the Harmonic Booster. Is that Lehle?

I've got the Darkglass Harmonic Booster on my desk at the moment and will be recording a full video review for it for Guitar Interactive Magazine soon, but I can't speak for what issue the review will come out in. The magazine is free to read and every back issue is available for free on the GI Website where you'll find the other Darkglass pedals and amplifiers I have reviewed too. The reviews are often added to YouTube too.

• Like 4