Why become a member? ×

Have these Lockdowns improved your bass playing?

Cat Burrito

My timing is definitely better, wot with playing to EZ Drummer for nearly a year; Real Drummer would invariably have speeded up by at least 10bpm per song, as well ad throwing in various bars of 5, 6 and even 7/4 due to many over enthusiastic under executed fill-ins. We called him The Dentist.

• Haha 6

I'm really surprised by the number of posts here saying that the instrument is a means to an end etc and not there just for the sheer love of playing it.

In order to try and stay sane I'll click on a 70's/80's pop compilation, wander over to the back window stare at the garden and let it rip.....after an hour I probably feel as satisfied and knackered as a jogger does after a blast across the park and back. Feels good and weirdly cause work has dried up a bit my stamina seems better, I really feel like I'm playing the best I ever have.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

My timing is definitely better, wot with playing to EZ Drummer for nearly a year; Real Drummer would invariably have speeded up by at least 10bpm per song, as well ad throwing in various bars of 5, 6 and even 7/4 due to many over enthusiastic under executed fill-ins. We called him The Dentist.

Lol! 🙂   The drummer wasn't called Dan, by any chance?  Sounds just like the drummer who was the reason we decided the band wasn't worth carrying on because of late last year.

39 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

I'm really surprised by the number of posts here saying that the instrument is a means to an end etc and not there just for the sheer love of playing it.

Me too..... surprised at the lack of love and passion for the instrument in and of itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greavesbass said:

I'm really surprised by the number of posts here saying that the instrument is a means to an end

I didn't buy a Wal for its wonderful tone or playability- in the topsy turvy world of rock and roll, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is quite often useful...

:hi:

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, cetera said:

Me too..... surprised at the lack of love and passion for the instrument in and of itself.

If I wanted to play an instrument for the fun of it, I'd choose guitar or keyboards where I could play something that was recognisable as a song to non-musicians. Unfortunately mine are in currently their cases buried under a mountain of other stuff in the one habitable room left in my house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cetera said:

Both for me.

I love holding and playing my basses but they are a means to an end, because I love playing with other musicians, more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

If I wanted to play an instrument for the fun of it, I'd choose guitar or keyboards where I could play something that was recognisable as a song to non-musicians. Unfortunately mine are in currently their cases buried under a mountain of other stuff in the one habitable room left in my house.

I do find that quite hard to appreciate, but then again bass is, and will only ever be, my only instrument, so if I want to play for fun (why are we bothering if it isn’t fun??) I’ll pick up a bass and play a tune recognisable to me.

• Like 1

Maybe its all to do with what you know. I do still get a massive kick out of playing along to a play list of golden oldies, maybe its cause I did a lot of summer shows years ago so its what I know...But it's interesting to hear various perspectives on what playing an instrument means.

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@EBS_freak and @Barking Spiders I note that you good gents' locations are not a million miles apart. Do you bump into each other from time to time and what are the neighbours like? Just asking for a friend 😈

ha ha the second circle of hell isn't too bad thanks and neighbours are more than welcome

4 hours ago, Kev said:

The opposite for me.  Motivation at an all time low, not practicing as much as I should, definitely a negative impact here.

The same for me, alas. In particular I can't bear to play anything from the set list of either of the bands I'm in because it just reminds me of what I'm missing.

On the plus side, the (mild) arthritis in my hands has improved because I haven't been punishing them so much 

• Like 2

I’ve been playing for over 25 years, and this is the least I’ve ever played I think. In fact, despite spending thousands on a new bass I had barely played it. Thankfully, I’ve started recording with a new post-rock band and have become inspired again... 

Music is a collaborative endeavour and I miss the social side of it as well as the creative aspect.

While the musical world seems to revolve around bedroom geniuses noodling at 300bpm, I’m still happier at a local jam session or watching a real band crank through a set, whether that’s jazz standards or a prog-rock concept album.

I can’t wait for post lockdown gigs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have played quite a lot, probably more as I don't have the normal outlet. The spark amp is good in that it gives you something to play along with and as we had got a new group up and running, we practice those. Also the advantage is that my wife is the singer so we have music nights.

What I haven't done that I meant to was more stick practice, or even more keyboard practice. Haven't touched the guitars either, its all been the bass.

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

... or watching a real band crank through a set,

Thats where I seem different for most. I would rather be sitting playing instruments on my own than listening to someone elses band. Playing in my own band, obviously that wins everything.

I've not played much.  Maybe once a week for an hour, if that.  The enjoyment I get from music is not so much sitting and listening or even playing on my own, it is watching and/or participating.  To either watch or participate in making music from nothing.  Neither of which has been possible during the lockdowns. 

As it happens the last couple of weeks has seen me pick up my guitar, rather than bass, as I feel driven to record something.  Specifically 'La Bamba' :) - the back story being that in my former covers band I suggested that we play 'la Bamba' towards the end of the 2nd set as a good dance/singalong tune - we played precious few.  And I was offering to sing it.  I can speak un poco de español so can pronounce it properly and I reckoned I could manage the bassline at the same time with practice.  Come the rehearsal day, guitarist and erstwhile band leader hands over his mic.  I got as far as the first line  'Para bailar la bamba'... and he stops playing and says 'If that is how you are going to sing it then forget it'.  So, just to prove a point, really. :D Still rusty as hell but slowly improving.  I'm going to try to do the vocal, BVs, guitars and bass.  A mate will do drums, maybe some BVs and, if possible, doing some sort of midi accordian-a-like at the end.  Wish me luck!

• Like 3

@Paul S good luck! :hi:

Latin music is often such fun and happy music and La Bamba is right up there!

Starting to get to grips with my Stagg EUB has been one of my main lockdown projects (I think I've got 12 numbers under my belt so far) and playing the bass line on La Bamba always brings a smile to my face. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Thanks Bas.  Rather than fade out on that folky thing at the end my aim is to segue it with Tequila for a while. :) If it works out OK I'll post it here.  Of course if it doesn't I won't mention it again :D  

We often play La Bamba on function gigs, and it always goes down well. If the dance floor is full then we (perhaps predictably...) segue into Twist and shout, works well. (that bit not in Spanish though...)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Bass is sounding good.

Thanks Chris - that's kind of you to say. It's a Yamaha BB P35, which really was a fantastic bass. Sadly @M@23 who I bought it off, myself, and @HazBeen who I sold it to all loved it for its tone and playability, but all three of us found it a touch too heavy for playing comfortably for a 2 hour set.

I wish I had discovered the excellent Minotaur 4.1" bass straps, which Mark at Talking Bass recommended to me, sooner, and have proved a bit of a game changer! I'm now much more regularly picking up a couple of my heavier basses and rediscovering just how really good they are!

• Sad 1