Why become a member? ×

Have these Lockdowns improved your bass playing?

Cat Burrito

The lockdowns gave me a chance to play "catch-up" with my band.  I joined them in Autumn 2019, but had not yet mastered all of the songs in the current set.  I rehearse at home pretty much every day, running through portions of the set.  Nearly one year later and everything is sounding pretty good now!

I find that I go through stages of playing then long periods where I don't even see the bass!  I have subscribed to a couple of Mark Smith's courses and can spend several days going through them before realising that I haven't touched the bass for a couple of weeks.  With nothing to work towards - like playing in church - the incentive to pick up the bass is not there.  I really need to get a grip and start playing every day.

The same here as some others have already said - I've probably never played less in my life.  Since our band folded late last year I feel so demotivated and with seemingly no prospect of finding a quality band to join, I just feel like what's the point.  Not at all like me usually, but that's where I am.

Similarly to what someone said earlier, and not to wallow in others lack of motivation, but I'm actually finding this is a rather bizarrely reassuring and comforting thread reading that other posters, and in particular some of the more prominent posters on here, are in the same place as myself.

I've no doubt for me, and likely most, that this lack of motivation is temporary and purely circumstantial and that as soon as 'normal' can return, allowing for rehearsing as one, and more importantly, the return of live gigging, then we will all back to as we were prior to March 2020.

Edited by lou24d53
  • Like 3

Hell yes.  I haven't even been off work, but the lack of rehearsals plus gym closures means I have been able to delve into the Rush and Iron Maiden catalogues and polish up my chops.  I've also delved into SBL's jazz bass material too. I've learned loads! 😁

• Like 1

On 08/02/2021 at 10:48, thebassist said:

.....unfortunately - not being able to perform live has resulted in no incentive for me - I've probably picked up my bass less than 5 times since March 2020.

Another BC'er nodding in agreement here. I was supposed to have recorded an album for one outfit, and an EP with another....
Plus, missing all my band mates, and missing the rehearsals as much as the gigs, has made my motivation wane.

Although, I did do a couple of lockdown YouTube charity events a while back. And I've definitely picked my bass up more than 5 times since March - but my rehearsing / song learning has lost focus :(  Can't wait to see my band mates again

• Sad 1

Yes, I think it has in terms of creativity. My band formed during the summer, we had about 6 rehearsals before lockdown v2.0 commenced.

Since that, we have been collaborating online and managed to record 2 songs, I doubt we would have achieved that with continual rehearsals.

My bass playing hasn't improved technically, however my guitar playing has as i've been writing material on that.

23 hours ago, cetera said:

This all makes for very sad reading....

I really hope you can all find the joy in just holding and playing your instrument again (fnar...fnar...). It's tragic to think that, for many of you, if you don't have a gig then you don't practice or play at all...
As I said before, I've taken the lockdown opportunity to play for myself and to rediscover the innocent pleasure of owning, playing and learning my instrument for no other reason than it is just 'part of me'.

Cheers to you all..... and here's hoping you too can rediscover than simple pleasure.

x

If anything, playing musical instruments has dropped right down my list of priorities over the last year, simply because it'll no longer bring in the dough. I've spent most of my free time adding to my list of foreign languages spoken and working on my woodworking and metal working skills. As I'm now 51 I don't want to be competing for jobs for which I'll get overlooked due to my age and so am planning to go self-employed this year.  Once I do, I doubt the bass'll get much of a look in.

One odd bit of inertia on my part.

I've had a 70s Epiphone acoustic about 37 years, it was my 21st birthday present from Mum and Dad (I rang up and asked if they would pay for it). It's not outstanding and is a bit 'reliced' now but is loud and very easy to play with an electric-like action.

The (bolt on) neck is ever-so-slightly misaligned, it's really annoying me and all it needs is loosening and a slight tweak sideways.

The screws are at the bottom of deep holes, and one or more of them has been 'spoiled' and will need to be replaced.

I have all the gear to remove such screws, but have an irrational fear of something going wrong on not finding a replacement screw.

Even as I write this, I'm increasingly minded to take it to a chap I know who does setups and get him to sort it and do a fret dress.

A quick survey among my music-playing friends has revealed that 'haven't got the time' morphed into 'can't be ar$ed' really quickly.  It is understandable that motivation can be an issue, but isn't it better to treat the down-time as an opportunity?  (normal caveats apply!)

6 minutes ago, odysseus said:

A quick survey among my music-playing friends has revealed that 'haven't got the time' morphed into 'can't be ar$ed' really quickly.  It is understandable that motivation can be an issue, but isn't it better to treat the down-time as an opportunity?  (normal caveats apply!)

In an ideal world yes, but the mental issue of this is not something that can be rationalised. 

30 minutes ago, odysseus said:

Absolutely - but I think it's a case by case basis as everybody's motivation is different. For some, its about getting better, getting those techniques down, expanding on repertoire. But you could argue, if there's no purpose to that, like no end goal, no gigs, what's the point.

It's interesting how there was a race where lots of musicians were doing online collaborations. They have quickly run out of steam. Why? Because the amount of effort compared to the reception they get for some, doesn't make it worth the effort. Are "likes" now the measure of success? All that work for 7 likes may not cut it for some.

Personally, I've been working on new skills - video, audio, AWS and Azure... and spending time relaxing with the other half whilst watching various tv series and films, currently appeals more than sitting for hours on my bass. A lot of my enjoyment came from the performance element and being with people. Remove that and the drive for me has waned substantially. I mispent my youth on techniques and all that sort of stuff... and most of them I never use anyway, so... apart from being party tricks that I can upload to the net to be ignored... what's the point? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Absolutely - but I think it's a case by case basis as everybody's motivation is different. For some, its about getting better, getting those techniques down, expanding on repertoire. But you could argue, if there's no purpose to that, like no end goal, no gigs, what's the point.

It's interesting how there was a race where lots of musicians were doing online collaborations. They have quickly run out of steam. Why? Because the amount of effort compared to the reception they get for some, doesn't make it worth the effort. Are "likes" now the measure of success? All that work for 7 likes may not cut it for some.

Personally, I've been working on new skills - video, audio, AWS and Azure... and spending time relaxing with the other half whilst watching various tv series and films, currently appeals more than sitting for hours on my bass. A lot of my enjoyment came from the performance element and being with people. Remove that and the drive for me has waned substantially. I mispent my youth on techniques and all that sort of stuff... and most of them I never use anyway, so... apart from being party tricks that I can upload to the net to be ignored... what's the point? 

Exactly this, except I've not been honing my skills on AWS, Azure etc. I've also stopped being inspired by musicians, including bass players, and instead I've become a Will Hardie wannabe. Check out Amazing Spaces on C4 if you don't know who he is.

I wonder how many pubs putting on bands will have survived lockdown mk III. I imagine many of those owned by pubcos will be closed down and sold for residential conversion. Perhaps the only ones with a real chance of surviving are those with big gardens that managed to make the most of the summer when the restrictions were relaxed and who've been providing a take-away service.

13 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Indeed. But doesn't that rather assume that there will be no future gigs? 

Music has always been something I do more for its own sake rather than attention or money. It calms me and takes me somewhere outside of the daily grudgery. 

• Like 1

The first lockdown is what prompted me to actually buy a bass instead of just thinking I might want to try it some day.

So 100% improvement, I've gone from not having a bass to owning a few, paying for resources to learn from and practicing almost daily.

Edited by Saul Panzer
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, odysseus said:

Music has always been something I do more for its own sake rather than attention or money. It calms me and takes me somewhere outside of the daily grudgery. 

That's fair enough but I know that for me (and I imagine for a lot of others too) being in a band and having some sort of end goal gives focus and meaning to a practice. It's almost like having an 'excuse' to play bass as it were.

I haven't played video games in over 10 years. They're not as fun as they used to be, I can't be bothered to keep buying the hardware, they're too expensive, yada yada yada. Because I haven't been able to see my 2 brothers in ages we decided to set up a weekly gaming night, upgrade our pcs where necessary (hah! bad time for that!) and get playing. Suddenly I'm finding that video games are fun again when the real truth is that the games aren't any different, it's my approach, motivation, reason for playing and social interaction that have changed. Wednesday nights aren't really about playing video games, I could have started playing at any point and I just didn't want to. Wednesday nights are about me and my brothers talking on discord, all the video games do is give us something to talk about.

I guess it's the same as bass. You've said that you essentially play bass to 'zone out' and relax, great. I play bass to get up off my backside and do something creative rather than just zoning out.

• Like 1

I've tried to use this time to learn as much as I can about recording techniques, improving my home studio, writing new material, learning how to use iMovie to create my Strings To Sticks YouTube channel, start to learn to play drums, get the guitars out again and start playing 6 strings as well as things I'd never have learned on bass - all of this just gives me something to think about other than how repetitive things are and how isolated we can feel.

I ride road cycles and luckily there is always lots of Discord chat when I ride in Zwift (easier if you Google it!) so it's like being out on a club ride with my mates.  Similar with learning new studio tricks/techniques - you get involved in online discussions which gives a sense of belonging to a community.

Edited by DaytonaRik

4 hours ago, odysseus said:

Indeed. That's why I said I think it's a case by case basis as everybody's motivation is different.

For a lot of people, achievement is measured by results based outcomes. Now that may be you can play something in your bedroom that you couldn't play previously. For others, it may be that sense of achievement playing that piece under pressure on a stage. I get pleasure out of playing on stages - others don't. Either is fine.

Some people get calm and outside of the daily grudgery by watching TV, exercising, build models, whatever.

• Like 1

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

Didnt pick the bass up for the first 6 weeks of first lockdown. Then played it a lot for about a month, learning songs I’d been meaning to learn, then gave up playing bass. 

What year 🤔

What, altogether, or temporarily (hopefully the latter)?

Just now, ezbass said:

What, altogether, or temporarily (hopefully the latter)?

I went back to keyboards (after 25 years)  and have no intention of playing bass in the near future (although i have played bass recently on a recording i did with a mate).

I lived for playing bass with the band, but sitting on my own at home i just didnt feel it. I wanted to do some recording but bass on its own is boring to me. Tried a bit of guitar but couldn't really get in to it. A happy ancient caused me to buy a new small keyboard, and then 2 weeks later a big one. To me its a more complete band in a box. I can sit for hours playing it, and any instrument i want is right there in front of me. Its actually changed how i feel about playing in bands. Now I’m happy making music at home, where as before i needed the band. We have rehearsed a few times since i changed, and its great fun, but I’m now more contingent with not rehearsing as well, 

I’m not selling off all the bass gear, but most of it, especially  the rig. Still keeping a few basses, and ive recently got a Yamaha DBR12 for keys, which sounds great with bass as well. 

• Like 1

My simple answer to the OP is, no. I’ve played less, which I know is not good for my mental well being, never mind my chops. The double whammy is that I, like most folk, not only have I no gigs on the horizon, but I now have no bands either, having moved from the SE to Scotland. This also means that I only have one bass with me, whilst the other 3 are elsewhere in storage or being sold via The Gallery. Other than an online recording collective (which has only done 2 tracks in the past year), I have nothing and the small lodge I’m temporarily in isn’t exactly conducive to playing as Lady Ez needs to work in the same space. However, I’m hopeful that once the local music scene gets going again, it will provide me with an outlet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

I went back to keyboards (after 25 years)  and have no intention of playing bass in the near future (although i have played bass recently on a recording i did with a mate).

I lived for playing bass with the band, but sitting on my own at home i just didnt feel it. I wanted to do some recording but bass on its own is boring to me. Tried a bit of guitar but couldn't really get in to it. A happy ancient caused me to buy a new small keyboard, and then 2 weeks later a big one. To me its a more complete band in a box. I can sit for hours playing it, and any instrument i want is right there in front of me. Its actually changed how i feel about playing in bands. Now I’m happy making music at home, where as before i needed the band. We have rehearsed a few times since i changed, and its great fun, but I’m now more contingent with not rehearsing as well, 

I’m not selling off all the bass gear, but most of it, especially  the rig. Still keeping a few basses, and ive recently got a Yamaha DBR12 for keys, which sounds great with bass as well. 

I’m sad and happy for you at the same time. You’ll still stay with the forum though?