Why become a member? ×

Have these Lockdowns improved your bass playing?

Cat Burrito

I play 2 or 3 hours a day, 2 or 3 times a week. After 11 months, I should be a slap expert, but still haven't managed to get all the way through the first slap video I picked.

I've kept my interest going by working on songs, ie choosing an artist and playing my way through their albums. First was Stevie Wonder, then Joni Mitchell, Bobby Bland, Kylie Minogue and others. Most recently I've gone through 15 of John Hiatt's 20 albums. Hiatt was easy to play but an emphasis on melodic playing rather than technique gave it it's own challenges.

Next on the to-do list is Robben Ford, followed by Chic, some Motown and probably Daryl's House.

• Like 1

Yes!

Desperate to play with real people again, but I've done masses of practice over the last year, I pick up a bass for 5-10 minutes or more at least a dozen times a day. I have put serious effort into learning stuff that I was convinced was beyond my abilities. I can learn new songs faster and play more fluently.

Have also learned a huge amount about how my playing style affects my sound and how changing pickup/playing position/digging in can be more profound than a bank of pedals.

Still can't play Portrait of Tracy or Teen Town, and my slap is still crap, but I can live with that...

• Like 2

Yes!

During Lockdown #1 I worked exclusively on the E string.

During Lockdown #2 I worked exclusively on the A string.

During Lockdown #3 I worked exclusively on the D string.

In the impending Lockdown #4 I shall work exclusively on the G string.

In the Fifth Lockdown, I shall put everything that I have learned together to achieve total mastery of the bass guitar instrument.

If there are any further lockdowns, I shall probably achieve world domination.

It's easy if you have a plan.

:)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Yes!

During Lockdown #1 I worked exclusively on the E string.

During Lockdown #2 I worked exclusively on the A string.

During Lockdown #3 I worked exclusively on the D string.

In the impending Lockdown #4 I shall work exclusively on the G string.

In the Fifth Lockdown, I shall put everything that I have learned together to achieve total mastery of the bass guitar instrument.

If there are any further lockdowns, I shall probably achieve world domination.

It's easy if you have a plan.

:)

#verystablegenius

I've probably had a bit more noodling time. I have a covers band with a huge set list and started up an 80s band. I haven't practiced much specifically for either but have just tried to get back the enjoyment and every now and then look at songs or pieces I've always wanted to learn. I've also had my first and only ever bass lesson which was a good inspiration and took me back to basics and gave me a good kick up the bum for how I approach stuff. I generally think I've improved some aspects of my playing but don't know what it's going o be like for the first few rehearsals back with either band. 

What with lockdown and retirement I have all the time in the world (cue for a song), and have devoted hours days and weeks to getting good on bass and sax. Despite this investment I am still super rubbish on both instruments.  It really is time for a new hobby, just can't think what.

When the lockdowns started I didn't even own a bass and had doubled in age since I last performed on one, so....yeah they been good for me and my playing 😁

To keep me entertained I've been writing myself basslines far longer and involved than anything that's in the music I like to listen to, stuff that would probably sound far too fiddly* if combined with other instruments. 

*without getting north of the 12th fret, mind

Afraid if there was a poll, I would be another vote for "demotivated, can barely be bothered to play my instrument"

On the upside I have raised a whole bunch of cash flogging basses on BC and am down to two that are gathering dust instead of 5 or 6

• Like 2

I've been playing alot more! Partly because it's a hobby, so it gives me something to do on the evenings! But also partly because I got a medium scale just before it all kicked off and that has made me really push my playing! Whether this stuff translates into my playing in a live setting I'll need to find out! 

I've also done a few wee collab things with my band and other muso pals. All just for social media fun. 

So I've been keeping myself busy! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

What with lockdown and retirement I have all the time in the world (cue for a song), and have devoted hours days and weeks to getting good on bass and sax. Despite this investment I am still super rubbish on both instruments.  It really is time for a new hobby, just can't think what.

Have you tried playing a few different genres of music to what you normally play lownote, only saying because I’ve been dabbling in a bit of funk lately and I would say it’s improved my playing,  aswell as giving me another interest 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lownote12 said:

Be honest, I bet you are comparing yourself to last month - where are you really compared to February 2020?

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Be honest, I bet you are comparing yourself to last month - where are you really compared to February 2020?

Trouble is I'm still trying to get songs right I was working on in 2011! :(  And working on courses I started almost as long ago. Agh, wo'ever...

Flippancy aside (sorry @Teebs), I've found my motivation's been all over the place recently. Periods of highs - making progress with the EUB, learning to sing [1] while playing bass, cracking on with transcribbling, trying my hand at writing replacement lyrics for some well-known songs, getting another band up together, giving in to GAS, getting to grips with Jamulus, wasting money on books I'll never read - followed by some intense lows. That's got worse recently.

I expect it's a touch of SAD plus work - I'm stuck inside all day in front of a laptop working on clinical data sets that contain an endless stream of heartbreaking stories and enduring shite weather when I can get out for a walk - but I'm really demotivated right now.

Things will improve, I know - but the last few weeks have been the toughest for me since last March.

[1] for very small values of 'sing'

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I can safely say my bass playing has fallen off a cliff. The year at home has taken a toll on my drive and enthusiasm for all things. I have just let my bass tutor go and now perhaps pick up a bass twice a week for 10-15 minutes only for random nothingness.

I am trusting vaccines and summer will bring back enthusiasm for all things fun. I think I managed 100 miles on the Harley this year and cannot remember the last time I picked up my DLSR