Why become a member? ×

EMG 35DC for a 5 string?

rushbo

Hi Basschat,

I'm trying once again to enter the scary world of the five string bass, and to that end, I've scored a decent five string neck which I'm going to swap out with a four stringer on an existing bitsa. I've sharpened my chisel to widen the neck pocket and the new bridge is on order.  It's currently loaded with a gorgeous EMG35CD which sounds great. My question to the TechGods of BC is - would it pick up the B and the G strings, effectively? I know it uses rails as opposed to pole pieces and there's plenty of clearance above and below the top and bottom strings. The casing is large (89mm from top to bottom) and initial highly scientific tests (tapping the pick up with a screwdriver at the extreme ends to see if it makes a noise through an amp...) seems to point out that it might work.

But will it? Anyone had any experience of an EMG 35CD with a fiver? Come on chums, help a numpty out!

Edited by rushbo

The type 35 tells the width, 3.5". If your bass has narrow spacing, the pickup may be wide enough.

I do have a 40 DC in one four-string... if I find it quickly enough from my drawer (garage), I could use the magnetic film and take a picture of the magnetic structure. Yes, it is not the 35 double coil, but could give some hint of the construction of the pickup. I try to come back tomorrow, if I find the equipment needed.

1 hour ago, itu said:

The type 35 tells the width, 3.5". If your bass has narrow spacing, the pickup may be wide enough.

I do have a 40 DC in one four-string... if I find it quickly enough from my drawer (garage), I could use the magnetic film and take a picture of the magnetic structure. Yes, it is not the 35 double coil, but could give some hint of the construction of the pickup. I try to come back tomorrow, if I find the equipment needed.

That would be really useful- thank you!

On a 35DC the magnets are 2.9” long, or 73.6mm. To give enough room for the string to vibrate left to right, you are looking at a total string width of 64mm, or 14/15mm spacing on a 5. Unless you are not intending to do any slapping, that is a bit tight.

3 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

On a 35DC the magnets are 2.9” long, or 73.6mm. To give enough room for the string to vibrate left to right, you are looking at a total string width of 64mm, or 14/15mm spacing on a 5. Unless you are not intending to do any slapping, that is a bit tight.

You beat me to it.

1 hour ago, itu said:

These quick taken pictures are just phone quality, but give you an idea of the magnets.

Those are really helpful - thanks itu. 

I think I'm going to go for a bridge with 17mm string spacing which should give me a decent response over all the strings.

Many thanks again to all the BassChat TechLords for their help.