Why become a member? ×

Ergodyne broken peg

Itamar Henry

Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone knows by any chance,

I play a  5 string Ibanez ergodyne EBC 705 

The D string tuning peg doesn't spin anymore and the top broke so the string can't stay in its place, I believe it needs to be replaced,

I would go to a shop but.... 

But Online I couldn't find any one tuning peg that has my specific models name..

So I was wondering is there anything "generic" or specific that would work with my bass (Ibanez ergodyne EBC 705) and is available online nowdays? 

Thank very much for any help😊

• Like 1

Have you checked out the parts listings on the support page of the Ibby site?

https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pcw.nsf

gives OE Part numbers and replacement numbers for discontinued items.

Then google these numbers for New old stock... often found on a couple of german music sites, possibly on the Bay?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Have you checked out the parts listings on the support page of the Ibby site?

https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pcw.nsf

gives OE Part numbers and replacement numbers for discontinued items.

Then google these numbers for New old stock... often found on a couple of german music sites, possibly on the Bay?

Thank you! No I didn't know that, I'll try to do what you suggested and let you know if it worked for me, thanks again!

• Like 1

Hi there(: 

Quick update,

I found the item it's a replacement:

2MB0007R-BK 

I even managed to find it in online stores but non of them deliver to the UK it seems.. 

Very strange I thought maybe I missed something, ether way it seems very rare..

Not sure what to do if there is no source for this in the UK 🤔

Thank you very much 

Itamar 

• Like 1

https://www.meinlshop.de/en/ibanez/spare-parts/e-basses/tuning-machines/single-tuning-machines/ibanez-e-bass-machinehead-right-die-cast-black-substitute-for-2mh1cb222b-r-2mb0007r-bk

My advice is to buy all new GOTOH Res-O-Lites:

https://g-gotoh.com/product/gb350/?lang=en

If one of your machine-heads broke w/o provocation, any one of the others could go at any point.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

https://www.meinlshop.de/en/ibanez/spare-parts/e-basses/tuning-machines/single-tuning-machines/ibanez-e-bass-machinehead-right-die-cast-black-substitute-for-2mh1cb222b-r-2mb0007r-bk

My advice is to buy all new GOTOH Res-O-Lites:

https://g-gotoh.com/product/gb350/?lang=en

If one of your machine-heads broke w/o provocation, any one of the others could go at any point.

Thank you that's an interesting yet scary thought! 

I might be missing something but from what I could see this website wouldn't send staff to the UK... 

Maybe I failed to find it (highly likely 😅)

But still that seems to be a recurring problem, 

That a store has it but doesn't deliver to the UK...

Odd and a bit annoying 

Thank you so much for the advise though!

• Like 1

I feel like I should warn you about buying Ibanez 'Standard' machine-heads, because IME they are crap since 2011.

Find a luthier supply in the U.K. (or Europe) that sells GOTOH. GOTOH is what Ibanez use on the higher-end stuff.

BTW, Mein Shop in Deutschland has a drop-down menu that lets you select Great Britain.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

15 hours ago, A.G.E.N.T.E. said:

Gotoh are very good indeed. Another alternative are hipshots. Just make sure to measure the hole  so you buy the right size. As far as a can remember the Warwick tuners also fitted my Ibanez. I think both are 14mm hole diameter. 

That's very interesting, 

Is your Ibanez an ergodyne ? Do Ibanez have a standard ?

And also how dose one mesure ones holes ? 

Thank you very much

For the kind help ☺️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

That should probably be Meinl Shop, after the drum brand. They sell Ibanez spare parts too: 

https://www.meinlshop.de/en/ibanez/spare-parts/e-basses/tuning-machines?p=1

O I see haha I should have got that,

Unless I'm missing something 

The specific tuning key I'm looking for is not available for delivery to the UK for some reason 🤔

Screenshot_20210209-222541.png

• Like 1

Please note: Even a good replacement (exact same post/bushing/nut sizes) may not line up exactly with the screw or screw holes, you may need to drill & fill:Fender_Headstock_Repair11.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Any unfilled holes will let a little moisture in & out but is mostly cosmetic.

What is crucial is you drill a new hole of an appropriate size before mounting a tuner that doesn't fit exactly with the existing hole. You will break a screw trying to force it into maple or other stout hardwood. You might be able to cheat a bit if there is a small bit of slack in the fit, but chances are it will be at an off angle - which would bug me tuning up. Do as you see fit, best of luck. Impressive collaboration, digging up all those links!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

7 hours ago, PlungerModerno said:

Please note: Even a good replacement (exact same post/bushing/nut sizes) may not line up exactly with the screw or screw holes, you may need to drill & fill:Fender_Headstock_Repair11.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Any unfilled holes will let a little moisture in & out but is mostly cosmetic.

What is crucial is you drill a new hole of an appropriate size before mounting a tuner that doesn't fit exactly with the existing hole. You will break a screw trying to force it into maple or other stout hardwood. You might be able to cheat a bit if there is a small bit of slack in the fit, but chances are it will be at an off angle - which would bug me tuning up. Do as you see fit, best of luck. Impressive collaboration, digging up all those links!

very interesting points !

so now this is even more confusing your saying that even if i get the right size it might not be enough ? that's disturbing haha

and also GOTOH pegs look amazing! just getting paranoid now that i would buy the wrong size,🤢

do you know by any chance if the GB350 refers to size? is there a standard in general when it comes to sizes of tuning peg boars ? 

anyway thank very much all the crazy detective experience 

those were truly amazing links deep dive as Plungermoderno says (: 

As I understand it there is only a few measurements you need to get right, all should be on the spec sheet linked in by @Killed_by_Death (the .pdf). The point I made about the hole or holes that might or mighn't match are just the attachment screw(s). 

Two tuners may be similar in every way, one might have a different screw location:

GB707-GG-L-1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

vs.

gotoh-tuners-sg381-gold-560x400.jpg&f=1&

I think the second one is a guitar tuner though lol.

If you find the only one in stock that fits your specs (size, colour or finish, price) has an inconvenient screw location - I'd say get it and fit it, loads of guides online. I imagine you'll find a drop in replacement though.

3 minutes ago, PlungerModerno said:

As I understand it there is only a few measurements you need to get right, all should be on the spec sheet linked in by @Killed_by_Death (the .pdf). The point I made about the hole or holes that might or mighn't match are just the attachment screw(s). 

Two tuners may be similar in every way, one might have a different screw location:

GB707-GG-L-1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

vs.

gotoh-tuners-sg381-gold-560x400.jpg&f=1&

I think the second one is a guitar tuner though lol.

If you find the only one in stock that fits your specs (size, colour or finish, price) has an inconvenient screw location - I'd say get it and fit it, loads of guides online. I imagine you'll find a drop in replacement though.

o i see! haha amazing thank you now i got it 🙂

your right there is almost to much info online it makes me dizzy ! 

but with some more digging i hope ill get my D string back in action   🤣

• Like 1

This post is like deja vu for me ...

Good luck getting a reply from the UK suppliers, even providing the part numbers I didn't get a response and I'm not the first. Yep the continental suppliers have the parts, but can't sell to the UK.

I ended up buying some dirt cheap tuning pegs on Ebay from China and canibalising the parts so I could do a rebuild and keep the original color.

One day I'll even find some B200 bridge saddles, even though they are supposed to be an available part.

If you do find someone wiling to supply original parts, please let us know ...

• Like 1

Hi(: 

That's crazy haha sort of happy to hear in not the only one with this strange problem!

I did get an answer from Ibanez just today 

After I already bought a gotoh gb350 (which was the wrong one coz it's on the other side of the bass head so I needed a "left handed tuning peg" which didn't occur to me😅😭🤣)

They just asked for my address and said they'll send me the part 

Which I found strange 

Because they didn't say anything about payment or anything practical 🤔 very strange 

Let's see if anyone replys and if this "peg saga" will come to an end! 

On 11/02/2021 at 12:41, John Cribbin said:

This post is like deja vu for me ...

Good luck getting a reply from the UK suppliers, even providing the part numbers I didn't get a response and I'm not the first. Yep the continental suppliers have the parts, but can't sell to the UK.

I ended up buying some dirt cheap tuning pegs on Ebay from China and canibalising the parts so I could do a rebuild and keep the original color.

One day I'll even find some B200 bridge saddles, even though they are supposed to be an available part.

If you do find someone wiling to supply original parts, please let us know ...

• Like 2

I worked on someone's Ergodyne once, and the machines were indeed soft material. One of the arms of the tuner post had broken, but still functioned, so I drilled a hole in the other arm to thread the string through. It was a bodge, but worked ok at no extra cost. If it were mine I would have changed the lot. The neck was superb though!