Why become a member? ×

Eich monster cab

Chopthebass

It's perfect example of "just because you can doesn't mean that you should".

And who is it aimed at? Anyone playing stages big enough to fit something like that on will be going into a massive PA and using in-ears for on-stage monitoring. Even if it was a just for show you'd be better off with a something with something empty that can be built light and foldable so that means you'd need a speaker cloth front.

TBH if you'd asked me how much it weighed, I'd have said rather more than 155lbs. When you consider an SVT810 weighs 165 (or 140, depending on who you believe!), that's actually quite a lightweight. It must sound a bit like god clearing his throat.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

And who is it aimed at?

It is aimed at us. We are discussing Eich cabs on a bass forum. Advertising is GO!

If I was moving that kind of weight around it would be labeled d&b Audiotechnik or Martin (insert FOH of choice).

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

It's perfect example of "just because you can doesn't mean that you should".

And who is it aimed at? Anyone playing stages big enough to fit something like that on will be going into a massive PA and using in-ears for on-stage monitoring. Even if it was a just for show you'd be better off with a something with something empty that can be built light and foldable so that means you'd need a speaker cloth front.

18 year olds with strong backs and more money than sense.

I bet they are only built to order.

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

absolutely love to play in front of that Grateful Dead PA even though I know it's 'all wrong' and would be completely blown out of the water by a modern line array.

It's not all wrong. Most of it is all right, because most of it is a line array. Where it differs from a modern PA  line array is that each player had their own individual arrays for their instrument, along with the vocal arrays. It wasn't the best implementation of line array technology, not because it didn't work, but because it was much larger than it needed to be. That can be forgiven, because the Dead didn't have a blueprint to follow. As primitive as it might seem compared to a modern PA it was still far better than anything else that existed at that time. It would be another 18 years before Christian Heil invented the modern PA line array, although the first major installation using line array speaker technology was in St. Pauls in London in the late 1940s.

Ampeg made a 32x10 cab, just for a laugh. I suggest that this cab was built for the same reason.

Maybe. A few hundred years ago the Scots gave the Irish the gift of the game of golf. In return the Irish gave the Scots the gift of the bagpipes. The Scots didn't know it was a joke.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ebenezer said:

I think hitting a bottom B would give me a dizzy turn! 

IF this  cab is  " tuned " to 26hz then you could  play a bass with a low Ab string.  That would give yer kidneys some dizzy turn 

Edited by fleabag

2 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Maybe. A few hundred years ago the Scots gave the Irish the gift of the game of golf. In return the Irish gave the Scots the gift of the bagpipes. The Scots didn't know it was a joke.

I don't think either side did particularly well there B|

35 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Word on the street at the time suggests it was muffled and crap.

It sounded good to me. The story behind it is that the Dead wanted to hear on stage the same thing that the audience did. That's why they stood in front of it. That would have been a mic feedback nightmare so what they did was to place two identical mics one above the other.  What came out of the arrays behind them that went into both mics was cancelled out via a differential summing pre-amp,  but they only sang into the top mic, so that wasn't cancelled. They got rid of the system because it took so long to set up and tear down that they need two, which leapfrogged each other around the country on their tour. That meant they had to pay for more crew, more trucks, and a lot more fuel.

13 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

With the front porting at the bottom, the only way they could be in separate compartments would be if the 2x15“ drivers were ported and everything else was in sealed internal boxes.

I mean, assuming for a second that you were already predisposed to making that cab, that would be a decently sensible (less ridiculous) way to do it. 

11 hours ago, Jack said:

I mean, assuming for a second that you were already predisposed to making that cab, that would be a decently sensible (less ridiculous) way to do it. 

Yeah, I could see that. But it's hard to think over the logistics of it without getting into the old idiom of "Well, if that's where I was going, I wouldn't be starting from here"!