Why become a member? ×

Pickup/preamp wiring help

Hi All,

I'm trying to wire a set of Seymour Duncan Pro-Actives (PJs) into an STC-3A preamp. I'm pretty confident with what I need to do apart from one wire coming from the pickups.

One diagram seem to imply that a red wire from the pups needs to go to the battery, and the other says it's the red wire from the preamp that goes to the battery. Problem is, there's no red wire from the pups, only brown. And I'm guessing they can't both go to the battery? Or maybe they do. Given the pickup diagram is for a passive system I'm guessing one possibility is I don't need the red/brown wire from the pups as the power will be coming from the preamp? Do I just tape over the brown wire and not use it? Or have I got all of this wrong.

Am keen to install this myself as it's tricky getting a luthier at the moment. So if anyone can help mitigate my incompetence that would be great!

Active_PJ.jpg

STC-3A_Wiring_Diagram.pdf

Edited by CookPassBabtridge

Yep, the pickups aren't powered through the signal wiring, there's always a separate Plus (the red wire) and the Minus will be the ground.

This is a wiring diagram for the STC-3A, but with soap bars. In this example they're regular two-conductor, so wiring will be the same as your PJ-set. As you can see the red power wires of the pickups join the one from the preamp towards the battery:

2aSB_STC3A.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1