Why become a member? ×

I've think I've just come across the worst 'band' ever

Barking Spiders

14 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

This is the best thing ever. I'm amazed a 'proper' band hasn't parodied it yet. Or is this actually a parody that has flown over my head? So. Many. Questions.

YouTube is your friend for Mr Gormley's back catalogue. There's a lot more of this quality and some even poorer. seriously.

Here's one for you. Again, it's a treat for the eyes, ears and soul: it's not often you get to look in to the eyes of a genuine mad man....

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

YouTube is your friend for Mr Gormley's back catalogue. There's a lot more of this quality and some even poorer. seriously.

Here's one for you. Again, it's a treat for the eyes, ears and soul: it's not often you get to look in to the eyes of a genuine mad man....

I heard that years ago and thought it was quite good, the video is truly bizarre though

On 07/02/2021 at 15:06, Barking Spiders said:

Usually I try to find some merit in stuff that's not my bag. In jazz, prog, fusion and metal I appreciate the high levels of instrumental skill. With the likes of Mariah Carey, Whitney et al I know they can actually ding. However, by chance I've just come across some American youth called Brokencyde and this abortion of a record. I won't abuse the word 'song' or 'tune'  by applying them here.

BE WARNED. I doubt anyone here will have heard anything quite this bad. If you have please put it up for our delectation. Fortunately, we in the UK have been spared this pollution while a quick Google shows this lot are justly and widely reviled in the States.

Managed about 20 seconds. Did the kid in the pink T shirt manage to dislodge the fur ball?

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Goodness me, and it was only 2007. It looks like something straight out of the 80s.

2 hours ago, Judo Chop said:

I heard that years ago and thought it was quite good, the video is truly bizarre though

The irony is that it actually has a fair bit of merit as a song. The lyrics could be polished and producer could get him to redo the bits where the vocals go odd and stomp on things like the whistling at the end.

Ten video is beyond cheese... they could have sat him on a rock somewhere borderline photogenic with a guitar on his lap and just done it straight (or cutting in a few bird shots) - but then he'd only have 40 views, not four million!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The irony is that it actually has a fair bit of merit as a song. The lyrics could be polished and producer could get him to redo the bits where the vocals go odd and stomp on things like the whistling at the end.

Ten video is beyond cheese... they could have sat him on a rock somewhere borderline photogenic with a guitar on his lap and just done it straight (or cutting in a few bird shots) - but then he'd only have 40 views, not four million!

By all accounts he was in the Marine Corps and when stationed in Scotland in the 70's decided to get some demos cut with the hope of landing a recording contract. These are the songs he recorded that were later broadcast on a local cable channel and videos were recorded for them. 

Im guessing lots of mushrooms were involved in the post-production but actually I think some of the songs aren't far off from being really good, given proper production etc. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

‘Little wings’? That video’s full of seagulls, some of them have bloody big wings, I can tell you!!

With that video, he should change the name of the song to "Feathery Bástard Chip Thieves"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

By all accounts he was in the Marine Corps and when stationed in Scotland in the 70's decided to get some demos cut with the hope of landing a recording contract. These are the songs he recorded that were later broadcast on a local cable channel and videos were recorded for them. 

Im guessing lots of mushrooms were involved in the post-production but actually I think some of the songs aren't far off from being really good, given proper production etc. 

That’s interesting. So are the videos ‘genuine’, i.e. not a joke/parody? The first one with its dodgy green screens, awkward looks away from the camera and Peeping Tom-esque shots of the young lady had me in stitches. 

16 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

That’s interesting. So are the videos ‘genuine’, i.e. not a joke/parody? The first one with its dodgy green screens, awkward looks away from the camera and Peeping Tom-esque shots of the young lady had me in stitches. 

I genuinely don't know. I think he's an eccentric who met a sort of Ed Wood/Trump/David Brent type of character who possibly thinks what he produces is world class (the weird guy with the sunglasses who introduces the videos is the guy who directs the videos).

Either that or it's a superb parody. I really hope it's real. The world needs people like that. 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 12:28, tauzero said:

I don't understand the hate for this. It's a brilliant cover, full of passion.

Hate's a strong word. I just don't like it. This is because I don't like this genre of rock and also because the proper original can't be improved on. I mean the original acoustic version and not the better known one where some knucklehead of a producer overdubbed it with drums and electric guitar.

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 12:28, tauzero said:

I don't understand the hate for this. It's a brilliant cover, full of passion.

Perhaps I shouldn't allow my eyes to influence my opinion of a piece of music, but I find the video of a snarling thug looking like an enraged MMA fighter a turn off. It says much about the artist that he chooses to portray himself in that way. That ain't what music is about for me. "Passion" doesn't automatically equal good. Have a look at film of speeches given by a chap in Germany in the 1930s and 40s. They're full of "passion".

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Perhaps I shouldn't allow my eyes to influence my opinion of a piece of music, but I find the video of a snarling thug looking like an enraged MMA fighter a turn off. It says much about the artist that he chooses to portray himself in that way. That ain't what music is about for me. "Passion" doesn't automatically equal good. Have a look at film of speeches given by a chap in Germany in the 1930s and 40s. They're full of "passion".

You're not a fan of Prodigy then I take it?

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

Bloody hell, Godwin's Law? Really?

• Haha 1

On 07/02/2021 at 17:41, MartinB said:

The terrible-but-enthusiastic cover bands are funny, but I reckon the groups that really qualify are the ones who released utter rubbish despite having record company money behind them. A lot of different people must've been involved, and apparently not one of them stood up and said, "Hang on a minute... this is terrible!".

Presenting: Vanilla

The rumour at the time was that this was a prank by Chris Morris 😆

One of them looks like Anthea Turner. 

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Hate's a strong word. I just don't like it. This is because I don't like this genre of rock and also because the proper original can't be improved on.

I don't believe there are any songs that couldn't be improved on, or at least interpreted differently

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Perhaps I shouldn't allow my eyes to influence my opinion of a piece of music, but I find the video of a snarling thug looking like an enraged MMA fighter a turn off

Luckily I didn't see the video before hearing it, and also I have no problem with disturbed, who have done some great songs (I have even done covers, maybe they hate mine?)

2 hours ago, Rageofklugman said:

Each to their own, but I thought that Disturbed cover was dire even without having seen the video.

Thats where I am. THe video can neither add or take away.

3 hours ago, Rageofklugman said:

Each to their own, but I thought that Disturbed cover was dire even without having seen the video. Seem to remember Simon Mayo taking a liking to it when it came out a few years ago and being totally nonplussed at what everyone involved could have been thinking.

As you say, each to their own. After all, some people even like Prince.