Why become a member? ×

I've think I've just come across the worst 'band' ever

Barking Spiders

On 07/02/2021 at 16:33, Nail Soup said:

On a Facebook thread for "worst cover" yesterday somebody nominated this. I replied to back them up, but went further and  said it was the worst piece of music ever, cover or not. So I guess I need to put my money where my mouth is and put it here.

Agreed - and I like both Disturbed and the original!

5 hours ago, sammybee said:

If you are interested, he releases an 'album' almost every month :)  I present for your delight, the follow up 'Wifey 'Ting' ! 

Why thank you, good sir. I'm hoping he's a spoof. The photo of him suggests he might be. If he means it, Gawd help him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

A friend at work introduced me to this. I use the term “friend” loosely. 😂

Astonishingly, it seems this is not a one off. They have a body of work. There are also commentators on YouTube earnestly deconstructing what they do and asserting that it's art and difficult to play, which it is, because random sh1te/chaos is by its nature impossible to replicate accurately.

I was once hired to perform at a concert of music by George Crumb (look his stuff up if you fancy a laugh). The "music" consisted of a lot of random noises (all scored for full orchestra, mind, plus additional instruments - mandolin, musical saw and so on) with a soprano warbling some ancient Mayan text (or something similar) tunelessly over the top of it all. She was required to shout into the grand piano and do all sorts of undignified things. I had to play the mandolin with a bottleneck. The part was insanely complicated and utter garbage.

This all happened in a London West End venue - tickets were not cheap and the place was full. At the end, there was rapturous applause. It was hard for many of the musicians to keep a straight face.

Having a drink in the bar after the ordeal, we were surrounded by tone deaf poseurs with naice accents pontificating about how "original, brave", etc, etc the 'music' was. It seems many people who are not musical are terrified that they might be missing something, so they feign appreciation of such nonsense in case someone laughs at them for being stupid.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

So does Buckethead, with a similar level of merit IMHO

I have to say, whilst BH does little apart from blow over repeated 8 and 16 bar phrases, he is astonishingly accomplished. He's also very well read musically, particularly regarding 20th century classical composers. His playing is crammed with quotes and references. It's just a shame he does so little with his formidable abilities.

Edited by Dan Dare

7 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I have to say, whilst BH does little apart from blow over repeated 8 and 16 bar phrases, he is astonishingly accomplished. He's also very well read musically, particularly regarding 20th century classical composers. His playing is crammed with quotes and references. It's just a shame he does so little with his formidable abilities.

Agreed, awesome guitarist but that brand of widdlywonk leaves me cold.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Astonishingly, it seems this is not a one off. They have a body of work. There are also commentators on YouTube earnestly deconstructing what they do and asserting that it's art and difficult to play, which it is, because random sh1te/chaos is by its nature impossible to replicate accurately.

I remember getting a youtube suggestion (after looking at the Shaggs) for a band who formed with specific intention of recreating The Shaggs records exactly as played...... in order to back the Shaggs singers comeback. Complete with all the off time playing.

It was pretty hard work for them to do it as you can imagine.

In the clip they interviewed the lead arranger for the band. When asked about the Shaggs singers musicality she gave understatement of the year "I don't think she hears rhythm".

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Having a drink in the bar after the ordeal, we were surrounded by tone deaf poseurs with naice accents pontificating about how "original, brave", etc, etc the 'music' was. It seems many people who are not musical are terrified that they might be missing something, so they feign appreciation of such nonsense in case someone laughs at them for being stupid.

These audiences as a whole were a part in my leaving the so-called "avant-garde" many decades ago, roughly for the reasons you describe, but...
I think it's OK to also mention that amongst people in these audiences are some resourceful ones who know exactly what they're talking about and/or whose love for the music in question is genuine and deep-felt.

I've performed weird stuff where discerning listeners afterwards asked questions or came with remarks that only non-poseurs could come up with - sometimes confronting me with weird or "wrong" choices I'd made.

BTW, there was a lovely little TV programme here, where a physics guy, with no art training whatsoever, made a lot of modernist paintings, and got a famous painter to put on his name on them before they organised an exposition under the painter's name.
Many poseurs swallowed it hook, line and sinker, but some art lovers shook their head in disbelief at the total collapse of the painter's new output.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Why thank you, good sir. I'm hoping he's a spoof. The photo of him suggests he might be. If he means it, Gawd help him.

A spoof, a spoof you say. He takes himself very seriously indeed! I don't think anyone else does though 😂

Northampton's best export!

• Haha 1

On a Facebook thread for "worst cover" yesterday somebody nominated this. I replied to back them up, but went further and  said it was the worst piece of music ever, cover or not. So I guess I need to put my money where my mouth is and put it here.

Whoah, whoah, what's so wrong with this?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

No, that's begging for a cover.

They were just way too advanced compared with the rest of us mortals who are held back by outdated notions such time signatures, tuning, melody, harmony and rhythm. I mean why stick with one time signature when you can play in at least a dozen.... all at the same time.

Follow the link for the hilarious back story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shaggs

You'll also be happy to know they've reconvened with a different line-up which nevertheless is still infused with the spirit of the original

Edited by Barking Spiders

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

umm.. everything? They have taken a great song and butchered it. I think the Shaggs song is better, at least it started bad.

It's always a risk covering a real classic like that and yes it was never going to be the original but I think it's fine. The recorded version is plenty good enough (it was record of the week on radio 2!), but I still have memories of 100,000 people singing it in the rain at Download so I suppose that does bias me towards liking it. 

55 minutes ago, Jack said:

It's always a risk covering a real classic like that and yes it was never going to be the original but I think it's fine.

I am normally pretty tollerant of songs, especially covers, but that is just got to be the low point, it is pretty dire.

The recorded version is plenty good enough (it was record of the week on radio 2!),

Well, keeps the pensioners happy then and I guess it made them more money than Down with the sickness.

but I still have memories of 100,000 people singing it in the rain at Download so I suppose that does bias me towards liking it. 

Hmm.. I have seen a video of many hundreds of thousands more singing Achy breaky heart by Billy Ray Cyrus, but still not a fan. And still a better song!

I guess if you like it you like it, there are some things I will never understand :)

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I guess if you like it you like it, there are some things I will never understand :)

Always remember that Justin Bieber has sold more records than the entire population of Basschat combined. Ain't no accounting for taste! :D 

I don't understand the hate for this. It's a brilliant cover, full of passion.

• Like 3