Why become a member? ×

I've think I've just come across the worst 'band' ever

Barking Spiders

Usually I try to find some merit in stuff that's not my bag. In jazz, prog, fusion and metal I appreciate the high levels of instrumental skill. With the likes of Mariah Carey, Whitney et al I know they can actually ding. However, by chance I've just come across some American youth called Brokencyde and this abortion of a record. I won't abuse the word 'song' or 'tune'  by applying them here.

BE WARNED. I doubt anyone here will have heard anything quite this bad. If you have please put it up for our delectation. Fortunately, we in the UK have been spared this pollution while a quick Google shows this lot are justly and widely reviled in the States.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Usually I try to find some merit in stuff that's not my bag. In jazz, prog, fusion and metal I appreciate the high levels of instrumental skill. With the likes of Mariah Carey, Whitney et al I know they can actually ding. However, by chance I've just come across some American youth called Brokencyde and this abortion of a record. I won't abuse the word 'song' or 'tune'  by applying them here.

BE WARNED. I doubt anyone here will have heard anything quite this bad. If you have please put it up for our delectation. Fortunately, we in the UK have been spared this pollution while a quick Google shows this lot are justly and widely reviled in the States.

I like the way they used British-made cars in the shots however.

No, I wouldn't give it houseroom (I only gave it a few seconds, by curiosity...), but, to be fair, I'd say the same of at least half the stuff I see posted on this Forum, often with an enthusiastic 'This is wonderful..!'. Usual suspects are heavy/death metal, much funk, a lot of gospel and just about anything disco-orientated. This is not the full list; just off-the-cuff worst offenders. Is the OP rubbish..? In my view, yes, but I'm not the target audience. I'm sure there's a whole slice of Society dancing their nights away to this and others like it. A funny ol' world, eh..? 9_9

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I doubt anyone here will have heard anything quite this bad. If you have please put it up for our delectation. Fortunately, we in the UK have been spared this pollution while a quick Google shows this lot are justly and widely reviled in the States.

Judging by their expressions and slack bobbing about, the dancers aren't exactly impressed either. That really is dire.

The terrible-but-enthusiastic cover bands are funny, but I reckon the groups that really qualify are the ones who released utter rubbish despite having record company money behind them. A lot of different people must've been involved, and apparently not one of them stood up and said, "Hang on a minute... this is terrible!".

Presenting: Vanilla

The rumour at the time was that this was a prank by Chris Morris 😆

48 minutes ago, MartinB said:

The terrible-but-enthusiastic cover bands are funny, but I reckon the groups that really qualify are the ones who released utter rubbish despite having record company money behind them. A lot of different people must've been involved, and apparently not one of them stood up and said, "Hang on a minute... this is terrible!".

Presenting: Vanilla

The rumour at the time was that this was a prank by Chris Morris 😆

Yep this apology of a crunkcore band whatever, Brokencyde, were a signed band have made singles and albums. I guess we can all find shyte amateur covers bands

It's amazing to me that Brokencyde genuinely came up with their own schtick. It seems so much like a transparent attempt to appeal to all kinds of teenagers at once, thought up by a bunch of A&R men 💰
This Vice article points out that there are a number of terrible-but-hyped recent acts with a similar sound. So maybe they were just ahead of their time! 🤣

What the actual flip was that.

I guess I'm officially old - I've hit the point where I no longer 'get' music of the youth. 

I was doing alright up to now, enjoying Baby Shark and Pink Fluffy Unicorns with the younger ones and attempting to appreciate some merits of the so called 'grime' with the older ones.  But I literally have no words for Brokencyde.

Edited by PatrickJ

4 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

On a Facebook thread for "worst cover" yesterday somebody nominated this. I replied to back them up, but went further and  said it was the worst piece of music ever, cover or not. So I guess I need to put my money where my mouth is and put it here.

Shows how opinions vary.

It's up there for me as one of the greatest covers of all time. 

The timbre of David Draimans voice is outstanding. 

The Simone and Carbuncle original on the other hand, does nothing for me whatsoever. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

On a Facebook thread for "worst cover" yesterday somebody nominated this. I replied to back them up, but went further and  said it was the worst piece of music ever, cover or not. So I guess I need to put my money where my mouth is and put it here.

IMO an absolute fkin hideous abomination though the mrs and older teens disagree with me. Disturbed are just one of many formulaic identikit bands in the vein of Creed, Staind, Nickelback and millions of others using 7 string guitars in dropped D tuning.

• Like 1