Why become a member? ×

Cheap combo advice for home

paddy109

Can people recommend a budget combo for playing at home. I love buying used equipment so looking for a 2nd hander.

I am building a wooden/insulated bass cave in the garden. The family are banishing me from the house!

Ideally I would like to have music in and headphone out.

Paddy.

Zoom B1 Four - Great box, loads of effects, drum box, tuner, aux in, phones out - i had the x version with expression pedal - std version is easier to use on a table... i bought and sold mine on here... so many knobs, so little time. got a basic EHX headphoneamp, metal chunk and more durable than the Vox Amp plugs, for when i can steal some time, most of my noodling is unplugged...

Otherwise I'd go on Gumtree and see whats local and cheap... For a socially distanced collection... other wise ya gonna pay a fair chunk delivery... Fender (G)Rumble?

I got a Marshall MB15 for £35 at the start of lockdown #1 - but its seen little use...

Edited by PaulThePlug

Don't dismiss the  little mixer option. If space is limited then a bass combo isn't going to play the music well. A small PA speaker or two will sound pretty good with your bass and make the music sound good too. If you want bass amp sounds something like the Zoom B1four has good simulations of all sorts of amps and speakers. You can then choose deafening volumes if you don't want headphones.

Edited by Phil Starr

On 07/02/2021 at 15:21, JottoSW1 said:

Check out the little Line 6 ld110 being advertised by someone (not me) in marketplace.? I've still got mine and it includes your required features. 

I enjoyed mine a lot! I even recorded with it through the excellent balanced line out. The only thing it lacked, to my ears, was a tweeter. It could get really woolly and lacks brightness.

On 07/02/2021 at 18:06, Phil Starr said:

Don't dismiss the  little mixer option. If space is limited then a bass combo isn't going to play the music well. 

That's what I do now: I have a little Yamaha mixing console with built-in USB recording interface with two KRK V4II's hooked up. When practicing, I usually plug my bass straight in because I'm lazy and I like the tones I'm getting. EQ is limited, but I don't EQ a lot anyway. I have played with a Bass POD xt in front, and with several preamp/DI pedals (Hartke VXL Bass Attack, EBS MicroBass II, Darkglass B7K) and all have worked equally well. My PC is also hooked up to the mixer for music playback and to play along to, but any other audio source would work too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I enjoyed mine a lot! I even recorded with it through the excellent balanced line out. The only thing it lacked, to my ears, was a tweeter. It could get really woolly and lacks brightness.

That's what I do now: I have a little Yamaha mixing console with built-in USB recording interface with two KRK V4II's hooked up. When practicing, I usually plug my bass straight in because I'm lazy and I like the tones I'm getting. EQ is limited, but I don't EQ a lot anyway. I have played with a Bass POD xt in front, and with several preamp/DI pedals (Hartke VXL Bass Attack, EBS MicroBass II, Darkglass B7K) and all have worked equally well. My PC is also hooked up to the mixer for music playback and to play along to, but any other audio source would work too.

I am intrigued but could you post a picture?

15 minutes ago, paddy109 said:

I am intrigued but could you post a picture?

I'm currently at work and unable to take pictures of my actual setup, but I'm using the Yamaha MW8CX. Not the smallest solution out there, but it works for me. I could make do with just two inputs, USB, monitor out and an aux in. The FX are fun but low quality. But then again this is already 10+ years old, I bet newer ones are more advanced and better and have faster USB connections! 

H_MW8CX_3.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ