Why become a member? ×

Sky Arts and other music related programmes

PaulWarning

I mentioned a while ago was part of a team working on a new music doc for BBC Four - well, here's the first trailer. 

It's fronted by Sam Fender, and also features the likes of Elvis Costello, Peter Gabriel, Sting & Mark Knopfler.

It's on BBC Four on November 26th... I'd be chuffed if you set your videos and gave it a watch. Alan Hull was a fascinating guy, and you'll get to hear some sublime bass parts.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

On YouTube is Tom Petty - Somewhere You Feel Free: The Making of Wildflowers

I watched it this afternoon, it's about 90mins.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed it, it is a little somber at times. His band clearly miss him a lot. They were, I feel, the very definition of a band. The clubhouse is...well, who wouldn't want somewhere like that? And when you listen to Mike Campbell sit there and talk a little about it....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, steantval said:

Just watching a cracking documentary on Sky Arts - Phil Collins: Going Back To Detroit.

A great watch....

👍

If you like the Sound of Philadelphia, the Barry White story is on Sky Arts later today, at 4:30pm. I've seen it before and thought it was excellent.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Gentle nudge - 9pm, BBC Four (I even have a cameo role, but blink and you'll miss it).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0011vbk

966577720_mbwebflyer.thumb.jpg.3ef382e9b52e612950c1643c1f933b91.jpg

Great programme. Really liked the way Sam Fender presented it, as someone newly discovering the band.  Open and honest - very refreshing. Oh, and I must have blinked, as I was looking out for you :D

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Great programme. Really liked the way Sam Fender presented it, as someone newly discovering the band.  Open and honest - very refreshing. Oh, and I must have blinked, as I was looking out for you :D

Cheers.. thank you! Slightly gutting to have to shoehorn hours of great footage into 60 minutes, but it's none the worse for it.

And... 52m 48s 🙂

• Like 2

I watched the Alan Hull documentary last night. Really very good 👍 

Apart from the obvious Fog on the Tyne, there were so many other familiar songs that I’d not attributed to Lindisfarne, let alone the fact that Alan Hull was the centre of that band. It was good to shine a light on his musical genius. 

• Like 2

Re Alan Hull: I thought there was a telling comment from Ray Jackson about only the songwriter making enough money that crosses over with another thread on the forum…

That said, hats off to Rod Clements - the bassist, no less - for penning the breakthrough single!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Velarian said:

I watched the Alan Hull documentary last night. Really very good 👍 

Apart from the obvious Fog on the Tyne, there were so many other familiar songs that I’d not attributed to Lindisfarne, let alone the fact that Alan Hull was the centre of that band. It was good to shine a light on his musical genius. 

Cheers, Val. The response has continued to be fantastic, especially from people who were completely unaware of the band, or only knew to a couple of tunes.

Striking the balance between catering for them, and (and I don't mean this disparagingly) the anoraks, and doing it within 60 minutes, was a hell of a challenge. But everyone seems happy. 🙂

I'm just glad it's been made - Alan & the band have been unfairly overlooked (not 100% Gazza's fault, but unfortunately he didn't help), and I reckon this is going to help redress the balance.

• Like 6

Apologies for the slight OT-ness, but here's some shots I took while working on the doc.

The executive producer was Geoff Wonfor (Beatles Anthology, the Tube, etc.), and the crew were absolutely top-notch. Contributor-wise, Sting and Elvis Costello were the first names on board, and the rest followed suit. 

P4191355.jpg

P4191461.jpg

P4262626.jpg

P7090230.jpg

P7090301.jpg

vlcsnap-2021-11-27-12h02m47s701.jpg

ALANHULL 02.jpg

ALANHULL 07.jpg

ALANHULL 08.jpg

ALANHULL 11.jpg

ALANHULL 12.jpg

ALANHULL 14.jpg

ALANHULL clapperboard Day1.jpg

ALANHULL 10.jpg

• Like 10

Just watched the documentary, and despite not being a massive Lindisfarne fan I really enjoyed it. Thought Sam Fender came across well, and all the contributions from ex-band members too. It did a great job of ensuring that Alan’s fantastic songs will reach a new audience as well as reminding people such as me who remember them from when they were released.

Love the pics above too!

Excellent stuff, thank you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Apologies for the slight OT-ness, but here's some shots I took while working on the doc.

Excellent photos, WoT. I did see your original post about the Alan Hull doc and made a note to watch. Then, on the day, I had to go out (5od's law!) and didn't set to record (aaargh). So thank heaven for BBC iPlayer! I finally had a chance to watch it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very insightful and quite moving in part. I had the vinyl albums, Nicely Out Of Tune and Fog On The Tyne plus Alan's first solo album, Pipedream (which was also one of my favourite album covers). I really need to get those back into my collection!

It also brought back fond memories of playing 'up north'. Through most of the 1980's I was a member of an Essex-based Country band and we played many Country music clubs and festivals around the UK. We had one agent based in Middlesbrough who would organize 7- and 10-day tours for the band in the North-East and we played many of the clubs in the region (South Shields, Sunderland, Guisborough, M'bro, etc.).
One night we were booked to play 3 sets at a club and during the first break a guy came up to chat with us 'soft Southerners'. We had a good old chat and as we were heading back on stage he said quickly, "I bet you lads don't know a song by Lindisfarne called 'Run For Home'?". Our guitarist (who was a Scottish fellah from The Borders) smiled and looked at the rest of us. Although it wasn't in the set that night, we opened the 2nd set with it. I don't think we paid for any more drinks that night. :) 

• Like 1