Why become a member? ×

Sky Arts and other music related programmes

PaulWarning

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, steantval said:

Currently on - The Doobie Brothers, Let The Music Play.

The story of the band.

Yeah I’m watching it - it’s very good - I never realised that they recruited Willie Weeks when Tyrone Porter left the band, towards its initial end. Nice film of him playing an LPB Precision 🙂

48 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Tonight at 9pm, Southern Journey (Revisited) about Alan Lomax and the huge number of field recordings he did of folk musicians in America which would otherwise have been undocumented. 

Just saw this with 5 mins to spare- recorder set.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, upside downer said:

Tonight at 9pm, Southern Journey (Revisited) about Alan Lomax and the huge number of field recordings he did of folk musicians in America which would otherwise have been undocumented. 

Superb film, reminds me of another similar excellent Arena documentary Searching For The One-Eyed Jesus.

Actually, they are very different but there is a similar vibe running through both.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Thanks 1

Watched the ‘Chuck Berry ‘King of Rock n Roll’ film last night. Very enjoyable, with plenty of insight into his family life as well as his musical career. Made after his death, it was respectful despite not glossing over his various well known  run ins with the law. 

Before this I watched the BB King concert filmed at the Albert Hall in 2011. Despite being a fan, thought this was pretty  lame stuff, with the blues legend obviously well past his best. Also featured guests Mick Hucknall, Ronnie Wood, Slash along with Susan Tedeschi & husband Derek Trucks who were both superb. His band coped with the situation well, even when some keys were randomly changed on the fly! Still, engaged me enough to stay awake till after midnight when the Chuck Berry film started. Sky Arts is a godsend on a gig free Saturday night!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Watched the ‘Chuck Berry ‘King of Rock n Roll’ film last night. Very enjoyable, with plenty of insight into his family life as well as his musical career. Made after his death, it was respectful despite not glossing over his various well known  run ins with the law. 

Before this I watched the BB King concert filmed at the Albert Hall in 2011. Despite being a fan, thought this was pretty  lame stuff, with the blues legend obviously well past his best. Also featured guests Mick Hucknall, Ronnie Wood, Slash along with Susan Tedeschi & husband Derek Trucks who were both superb. His band coped with the situation well, even when some keys were randomly changed on the fly! Still, engaged me enough to stay awake till after midnight when the Chuck Berry film started. Sky Arts is a godsend on a gig free Saturday night!

I've just watched the Chuck Berry film , very enjoyable, the man was a genius, he had it all, great guitarist, lyricist and what showman, I'd not seen it before, although a lot of the clips had been taken from other films and interviews I had seen, especially Hail Hail Rock n roll

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Starting at 6.50pm today (Sunday) on Sky Arts is a Jack Bruce tribute concert. No idea what it will be like, just thought it may be of interest to some folks on here. 🙂

Mark King doing a great job on bass [an eb3]

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Ah plastic saddles - later, 66? 

god knows - don’t know gibbo bass half as well as fender.

But the sound is fabulous - sounds very Jack Bruce. Interesting to hear Neil Murray on bass on Politician as well. 

I don’t know if it’s just me (I’ve not followed Jethro Tull for years) but Ian Anderson appearing like an aging middle class country gentleman but still sounding fairly similar to how he did back in 1970 (when he looked rather like a manic long haired country type hippy) was a little incongruous. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

But the sound is fabulous - sounds very Jack Bruce. Interesting to hear Neil Murray on bass on Politician as well. 

I don’t know if it’s just me (I’ve not followed Jethro Tull for years) but Ian Anderson appearing like an aging middle class country gentleman but still sounding fairly similar to how he did back in 1970 (when he looked rather like a manic long haired country type hippy) was a little incongruous. 

I think Ian Anderson now looks like Captain Mainwaring in Dads Army.

35922978-5755-49EF-B5C8-F6A6F3A4E53F.jpeg

EB0EB3E8-3B49-4958-9F0E-69463FCF6890.jpeg

Edited by steantval
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Tonight (13/8/21) at 7pm on Sky Arts there’s a programme called ‘Mick Ronson by Gary Kemp’. Not sure if it’s been aired before but could be interesting.

Yes it has and yes it was. Mick was Gary’s guitar hero, apparently. 

• Like 1