Why become a member? ×

Sky Arts and other music related programmes

PaulWarning

Bit of a metalfest tonight and way into tomorrow morning (5th/6th June)…

• 21:00 - 22:00 Download Festival, highlights from 2011-2019.
  • 23:00 - 01:00 Black Sabbath: The End of the End (2017)
  • 01:00 - 03:00 Korn: Loud Crazy Love (2018)

Sunday 6th

• 22:30 - 00:40 Iron Maiden: Flight 666
Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

Deep Purple stuff on Sky Arts tonight - at 8pm Classic Albums features ‘Machine Head’ Then straight after at 9pm there is ‘Come Hell or High Water’, filmed on tour in1993.

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Deep Purple stuff on Sky Arts tonight - at 8pm Classic Albums features ‘Machine Head’ Then straight after at 9pm there is ‘Come Hell or High Water’, filmed on tour in1993.

Watching Machine Head - priceless bit discussing "highway star"; Bach keyboards and Mozart guitar  - now I know where the Spinal Tap "Mach-piece" came from.

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Started watching, love em of course but that reunion tour just seemed lame somehow....Blackmore throwing water at stage hands...not cool....switched to Beeb4 Boy George...his voice has gone but he's a cultural icon rarely seen live, it wins the night for me, grt tunes too.

Currently watching Deep Purple, the musicianship and Gillans vocals are pretty amazing. I’m not familiar enough with their material to know if this has been touched up/edited but I really hope not as I’m very impressed and that would be a let down.

Not SkyArts but on BBC4 early last evening Singer Songwriters,  the caption writer made an interesting error. Calling Carol King, Carol Klein. 
Klein is her birth name of course, but it’s very unusual to see it used and I’d guess not many people would know.

Carol Klein is a regular on the BBC’s Gardeners World. Maybe the caption writer is a gardener. 

21 hours ago, greavesbass said:

Started watching, love em of course but that reunion tour just seemed lame somehow....Blackmore throwing water at stage hands...not cool....

I love early Purple but lost interest after Made In Europe (which is awesome). Even when RB came back, they were never the same for me. 

• Like 1

On 12/06/2021 at 10:42, Cliff Edge said:

Not SkyArts but on BBC4 early last evening Singer Songwriters,  the caption writer made an interesting error. Calling Carol King, Carol Klein. 
Klein is her birth name of course, but it’s very unusual to see it used and I’d guess not many people would know.

Carol Klein is a regular on the BBC’s Gardeners World. Maybe the caption writer is a gardener. 

I worked on a sleeve note with her (via her office) many years ago and was chastised for even mentioning ‘the K word’... 😬

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/06/2021 at 19:21, 4000 said:

I love early Purple but lost interest after Made In Europe (which is awesome). Even when RB came back, they were never the same for me. 

For me, the come back album 'Perfect Strangers' is killer. Indeed the title track from that album, is my favourite Purple track. I saw them in Knebworth touring that album and they were incredible. From then on, with Blackmore on board it was a rapid decline.

Steve Morse's first Purple album, 'Purpendicular'  has some good moments but nothing much from then on rocks my boat. 

Really enjoying the Rudeboy programme on at the moment, some great tunes taking me back to my teens at the local youth club.

We had Jamaican neighbours at my parents brand new bungalow when I started senior school, Joe and Anna and their six children, lovely people, they actually got my mum into reggae, she had a lot of singles on the Trojan label in our radiogram cabinet.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

For me, the come back album 'Perfect Strangers' is killer. Indeed the title track from that album, is my favourite Purple track. I saw them in Knebworth touring that album and they were incredible. From then on, with Blackmore on board it was a rapid decline.

Steve Morse's first Purple album, 'Purpendicular'  has some good moments but nothing much from then on rocks my boat. 

From what I read Blackmore is a divisive character who seems to be very hard to work with. Purple say themselves that they are not interested in rejoining him, they are perfectly happy as they are. He, in his narcissistic way said he was open to a reunion but it was quickly dismissed.

I agree Perfect Strangers is really good.

7 hours ago, steantval said:

Really enjoying the Rudeboy programme on at the moment, some great tunes taking me back to my teens at the local youth club.

We had Jamaican neighbours at my parents brand new bungalow when I started senior school, Joe and Anna and their six children, lovely people, they actually got my mum into reggae, she had a lot of singles on the Trojan label in our radiogram cabinet.

Great story steantval, if ever you wanted to browse a few of those old Trojan tunes this might be of interest, it will give you a snippet of the songs, then you can get it up on YouTube 🙂 https://trojanrecords.com/playlists/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubit said:

From what I read Blackmore is a divisive character who seems to be very hard to work with. Purple say themselves that they are not interested in rejoining him, they are perfectly happy as they are. He, in his narcissistic way said he was open to a reunion but it was quickly dismissed.

I agree Perfect Strangers is really good.

Yes Blackmore does not have many friends in the Music game. Comes across as dark and not to be messed with. Was an outstanding rock guitarist, though maybe not so much nowadays, as evidenced by his last tour with Rainbow. It happens to the best, as age catches up with us all in the end.

Purple are quite happy without him, though for me they are a shadow of what they once were. Gillan's voice has been on the decline for many many years and I find his vocals unlistenable nowadays. But man did he set the bar high!. When he had it, he had it in abundance, but sadly no more 

Fair play to Purple for soldiering on, but I lost interest in them  many years ago. I was their biggest fan back in the day, but their best days are long behind them. Love Morse but not in the context of his work with Purple. Blackmore's stamp is all over the golden age of Purple IMO and could never be replaced.

I will always be thankful for them giving us 'Made in Japan'. It kind of changed my life. What a recording!. No overdubs, recorded on the cheap, capturing the mk2 line up at the height of their powers. Sonically an incredible recording, best discovered on the 'porky' vinyl UK pressing. 

To get back to Blackmore and his menacing ways, check this out

• Haha 2

On 10/07/2021 at 09:10, leroydiamond said:

Yes Blackmore does not have many friends in the Music game. Comes across as dark and not to be messed with. Was an outstanding rock guitarist, though maybe not so much nowadays, as evidenced by his last tour with Rainbow. It happens to the best, as age catches up with us all in the end.

Purple are quite happy without him, though for me they are a shadow of what they once were. Gillan's voice has been on the decline for many many years and I find his vocals unlistenable nowadays. But man did he set the bar high!. When he had it, he had it in abundance, but sadly no more 

Fair play to Purple for soldiering on, but I lost interest in them  many years ago. I was their biggest fan back in the day, but their best days are long behind them. Love Morse but not in the context of his work with Purple. Blackmore's stamp is all over the golden age of Purple IMO and could never be replaced.

I will always be thankful for them giving us 'Made in Japan'. It kind of changed my life. What a recording!. No overdubs, recorded on the cheap, capturing the mk2 line up at the height of their powers. Sonically an incredible recording, best discovered on the 'porky' vinyl UK pressing. 

To get back to Blackmore and his menacing ways, check this out

Whether Blackmore was a knob or not is beside the point. What is a fact is that Lemmy told the best funny stories and anecdotes!

• Like 1

I watched the Kinks documentary last night, I thoroughly enjoyed it despite not being a huge fan. 

One thing that stuck me was how articulate the Davies brothers are and Suggs who contributed. Articulate, intelligent, observational. Attributes that are disappearing in mainstream popular music imo.

Although Weller and Noel Gallagher didn't sound particularly articulate, so perhaps...

I think it reaffirmed why I didn't like Britpop. It always struck me as just copying the likes of the Kinks

57 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I watched the Kinks documentary last night, I thoroughly enjoyed it despite not being a huge fan. 

One thing that stuck me was how articulate the Davies brothers are and Suggs who contributed. Articulate, intelligent, observational. Attributes that are disappearing in mainstream popular music imo.

Although Weller and Noel Gallagher didn't sound particularly articulate, so perhaps...

I think it reaffirmed why I didn't like Britpop. It always struck me as just copying the likes of the Kinks

I only caught half of it, will try and catch up next time it’s on. I’ll be honest, I never really liked the Kinks, but I love anything like that.

What I did find quite interesting was that I’m also not a huge fan of many of the bands and artists who were so obviously hugely influenced by them, and now I know why. 😂