Why become a member? ×

Sky Arts and other music related programmes

PaulWarning

Just read in the TV schedules that this Friday (7th May)  there is an evening of Emmylou Harris stuff on BBC4. Starts at 9pm and includes an OGWT special from 1977 that I remember being great. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Just read in the TV schedules that this Friday (7th May)  there is an evening of Emmylou Harris stuff on BBC4. Starts at 9pm and includes an OGWT special from 1977 that I remember being great. 

I’ve seen her live a number of times, she was always worth the ticket price. Especially with the Hot Band. 
Although her diction can sometimes be annoying. She’s good to look at too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cliff Edge said:

I’ve seen her live a number of times, she was always worth the ticket price. Especially with the Hot Band. 
Although her diction can sometimes be annoying. She’s good to look at too. 

I’ve seen Emmy a couple of times, with The Hot Band. Am a fan of Rodney Crowell too, who is in the band on the OGWT programme. I do prefer her earlier stuff but appreciate the way she moved with the times on the Daniel Lanois album and later work. A great artist.

15 hours ago, casapete said:

I’ve seen Emmy a couple of times, with The Hot Band. Am a fan of Rodney Crowell too, who is in the band on the OGWT programme. I do prefer her earlier stuff but appreciate the way she moved with the times on the Daniel Lanois album and later work. A great artist.

I wasn’t too sure about Wrecking Ball, so different to her previous output. But I did go and see her when she came to the UK with Buddy Miller, and Daryl Johnson on bass. Miller quite obviously the MD on that tour. 

Big treat on Sky Arts tonight.  Its  Frank Zappa.  And for those in the other Zappa thread wondering which albums for beginners, then this is for you. 

2 of his best and most accessible ..Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe.

Enjoy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Big treat on Sky Arts tonight.  Its  Frank Zappa.  And for those in the other Zappa thread wondering which albums for beginners, then this is for you. 

2 of his best and most accessible ..Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe.

I'm in the "should like Zappa based on my other likes, but don't" camp.

So now I have another opportunity to convert!

It might be ( but not always ) a case of  being there at a young age.  I discovered  the Sensation album from a friend and i hadnt long left school at that time.  Zappa had been around already for several years by then, but it was the Sensation album that blew my wig off

9 hours ago, casapete said:

Just starting now -‘Somebody up there likes me’. Film about Ronnie Wood, made in 2019.

Enjoyed that. What a talented bloke Ronnie is. The missus said it will be a black day when one of the Stones dies as they have been a constant and seem immortal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikel said:

Enjoyed that. What a talented bloke Ronnie is. The missus said it will be a black day when one of the Stones dies as they have been a constant and seem immortal.

Brian Jones might have something to say about that!😇

Have we covered From Cradle To Stage yet? Dave Grohl's mum interviews the mums of other famouses. Episode 6 is Geddy Lee! (and mum). See https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/how-to-watch-from-cradle-to-stage-on-paramount-plus-free-and-from-anywhere - but it's on MTV from Thursday if you're appropriately equipped (I've got it on my Sky Box). Two or three "who?" in the list, which looks like this:

May 6: Dan Reynolds (of Imagine Dragons) and Christene Reynolds
May 13: Pharrell and Dr. Carolyn Williams
May 20: Miranda and Bev Lambert
May 27: Brandi and Teresa Carlile
June 3: Tom Morello (of Rage Against the Machine) and Mary Morello
June 10: Geddy Lee (of Rush) and Mary Weinrib

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:
10 hours ago, mikel said:

Brian Jones might have something to say about that!😇

1 hour ago, mikel said:

You dont say. I was talking about the current 4 who have been the band for decades and decades. Always one.

Seems that chivalry is not dead...... @mikel could easily have let 'the missus' carry the can for that😀.

• Haha 1

Tonight on Sky Arts - 9pm Eric Clapton’s Crossroad Guitar Festival 2019,  followed at 11.15pm by Nick Mason Saucerful of Secrets (featuring Guy Pratt).

Edited by casapete

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Brian Jones founded the Stones! Respect... 

I know, and I suspect almost everyone on here is aware of the fact. I was alluding to the venerable age, despite their drug, alcohol and other problems, of the four who have been the Stones seemingly forever. Never mind, I cant be bothered to explain.

BBC four Sunday Night 9pm: a new Delia Derbyshire doc.

In case anyone doesn't know Delia, she is an early pioneer of electronic music... best know for her work with the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and creating the ground-breaking Dr Who theme music.

Armed only with a tapes and razor blades.....no samplers in thoose days!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

BBC four Sunday Night 9pm: a new Delia Derbyshire doc.

In case anyone doesn't know Delia, she is an early pioneer of electronic music... best know for her work with the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and creating the ground-breaking Dr Who theme music.

Armed only with a tapes and razor blades.....no samplers in thoose days!

Thanks for the heads up.

This video below might be from that documentary. It's how Delia and her team brought to life Ron Grainers theme (score).

It's only a few minutes long and worth watching.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2